Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove this site many times - It is the site of the Bermingam Crane just out of Oakville harbor. Water levels may have fallen a bit over the years, but currently maxes out at about 145 ft. Most of the dive is generally done around 130-135 ft, visibility is generally good, but occasionally can be poor. Water temps are typically in the high 30s to mid 40s. Most times it is a fairly straight forward tech dive with not a lot of deco time for the bottom times that are usually run, but if conditions are bad (poor viz, current, cold water) it can turn pretty challenging.

I dread hearing about these, especially at our local sites. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

When diving those depths and temps, are there required cold water regs that are part of everyone's gear? If someone showed up on the boat in a reg that absolutely couldn't handle those temps, would they be pulled aside and told they're not going to dive? I don't dive that cold so I don't know about cold water regs.

No. Typically everyone is allowed to dive however they want. Most divers here, however dive sealed regs (sealed regs keep water and dirt out, helping to prevent freeflow). Personally, 6 of my 8 1st stages are sealed. Also, most divers here doing dives to the deeper wrecks are most likely to have one or more form of redundant air source, such as doubles, a pony or stage bottle. I am not sure what the bottom temps are in Lake Ontario right now, as I havent dove lake ontario since last winter when everything else was frozen, but I would imagine that it would be mid 40's to low 50's right now. Certainly not as extreme as the temps get.

There is a thread about this unfortunate accident on one of our local boards, Ontario Diving. You have to register and you can see it here: Ontario Diving

flots am:
Given the number of freeflows and divers that are unprepared for the temperature, depth and gas requirements, I can only say that I'm amazed there aren't more problems.

It is unlikely that anyone who would dive on the Bermingham Crane would be unprepared for the conditions. It is not a typical or beginning Ontario dive where divers often find out how appropriate their gear is or isn't. The divers would/should normally be tech or very experienced divers with redundant gear and a lot of previous dives in extremely cold, deep water and similar conditions. Most Ontario divers have not done the Bermingham Crane due to it's location and conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad news to hear,

If the person who passed away is the fellow that I knew (no names have been released), very tragic. He was not any where near prepared for a dive to 145' with any sort of DECO obligation. Very poor judgment. Hopefully all the facts will somewhat come out and clear things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This dive is not a recreational dive by any means...besides the depth, there can be strong currents on the surface to quite a depth down, the main line for boats to tie off on is rarely up, so it has to be raised by divers usually following a shot line.

The news reporters did an amazing job at screwing up almost every detail of this tragic day. Everything from them diving the tugs at 60 ft, jumping in without scuba gear, location... We refer to the Hamilton Spectator as the Hamilton Speculator. The TV news reports were no better.

The family was notified, names are not released as a request at the moment, facts are trickling out. Friends, family and people who knew the victim are dealing with their thoughts and feelings at the moment.

It was an avoidable tragedy. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have removed the pissin' contest from this thread, along with allusions to it in other posts. Please review the rules for the Accidents & Incidents forum and stick to them.
Thank you.
Rick
A&I Special Rules:
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.

When diving those depths and temps, are there required cold water regs that are part of everyone's gear? If someone showed up on the boat in a reg that absolutely couldn't handle those temps, would they be pulled aside and told they're not going to dive? I don't dive that cold so I don't know about cold water regs.

The boats up here don't generally do that sort of thing. It usually works like this:

• You show up for the boat and pay for the ride
  • The boat goes somewhere
  • You jump in if you think your qualifed
  • You come back later
  • The boat takes you back to shore.
There isn't a divemaster unless you brought one or paid for one and the captain just drives the boat.

flots.

edit: it's not usually externally obvious which regs are good to what temperature or depth.

I've made friendly suggestions, occasionally even offering someone my pony bottle, but no, it's not common place here in the great lakes to tell someone they can't dive what they brought. Most of the divers we get on our charter boat in Lake Erie, show up with either doubles, or sling a pony bottle, and the serious ones always use good cold water regs.

I have been witness (from the boat topside) of several massive freeflows at depth, and in every case, that diver was VERY nervous, and showed up with a new reg and/or pony bottle the next time we saw them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom