Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a national SCUBA tank registry? Then the nanny state can keep track of us all and protect us from ourselves. Should be easily done for, say, 2 or 3 Billion Dollars.

This is in reference to what the public usually does when something happens. They give outcries, then policing occurs, and the people who know what is actually going on have to jump through hoops. Its not in reference to an outright ban for diving...more like restrictions being put in place.

Yep, just like what Quebec did. Fortunately they're not very good at enforcing it.

Yep, just like what Quebec did. Fortunately they're not very good at enforcing it.

I would say it is the exception to the rule. France has something similar in place and if I had to take my guesses Quebec has it because of that, once again showing english Canada that they are a distinct and separate society.

I don't subscribe to that paranoia.

I would say it is the exception to the rule. France has something similar in place and if I had to take my guesses Quebec has it because of that, once again showing english Canada that they are a distinct and separate society.

They do want to be different and pretending to be “safer” then the other.
For example in skydiving they enforce AAD (Automatic Activation Device which opens reserve below certain altitude if skydiver falling too fast) but…
1. I was witnessing jumping through the fat layer of clouds – danger of jumpers collision and possibility of missing the landing area.
2. Nobody cared/checked what my experience is while I’m jumping high performance parachute – people get killed flying them.
So much for extreme safety…

My point is: each end every one must know their limits and if you are not sure – get educated, trained, or just ask…
No enforcement will make you safer – it inside your head – called brain what will.

I would say it is the exception to the rule.

Historically I would have to agree, but times change. The EU is refining legislation for diver certification. In Quebec it came about after several Coroner's inquests and a Provincial Court Judge (in a civil case) ruled that the particular diver training standards of diver's killed were insufficient.

I wouldn't be so confident as to think that anyone can predict what government will do in the future. I think that I understand women more than I do government and that's really saying something. LOL

Paranoia possibly but it all started here in Quebec after a rash of deaths in the OW group. It was determined that many of them died after having been certified in the south while on vacation.

Not familiar with our diving environment, cold, low visibility, thick insulation and the resulting heavy weights, those divers encountered situations they could not cope with.

The regulation says that to be able to dive in Quebec one has to receive his training in our local environment. It has not been enforced very much, information was mostly given. It sensitized divers to the problem and I am certain it has prevented a few deaths.

Our intentions are not to show English Canada that we are different, this should be evident and not in need of confirmation. Bringing this point here illustrates the absence, among many of English speaking neighbors, of knowledge in the differences between our two cultures.

Many have not swallowed the affirmation of our distinct identity that we have been experiencing for the past 40 years. An attitude of openness on both sides will assure future harmony. This petty comment has no place here.:shakehead:

Paranoia possibly but it all started here in Quebec after a rash of deaths in the OW group. It was determined that many of them died after having been certified in the south while on vacation.

Not familiar with our diving environment, cold, low visibility, thick insulation and the resulting heavy weights, those divers encountered situations they could not cope with.

Those are excellent points, Belmont. Neal Pollock from Divers Alert Network (DAN) made an exemplary contribution on the perils of cold water diving here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4882051-post25.html . Divers who were certified to dive in warm areas need to re-train to some degree for cold-water diving.

The regulation says that to be able to dive in Quebec one has to receive his training in our local environment. It has not been enforced very much, information was mostly given. It sensitized divers to the problem and I am certain it has prevented a few deaths.

:clapping:

Our intentions are not to show English Canada that we are different, this should be evident and not in need of confirmation. Bringing this point here illustrates the absence, among many of English speaking neighbors, of knowledge in the differences between our two cultures.

Many have not swallowed the affirmation of our distinct identity that we have been experiencing for the past 40 years. An attitude of openness on both sides will assure future harmony. This petty comment has no place here.:shakehead:

I agree with you. I cringe when fellow Canadians make such divisive comments in a public forum such as this. We should open up a "French Canadians Suck/English Canadians Suck" private forum to air our frustrations in private.

agree with Belmont on all points

just FYI, in quebec city we got 3 dives shop, each of them ask for the quebec qualification card before filling your tank if they do not know you ( see them asking others)

so it's still useful (no air no dive)

in quebec city we got 3 dives shop, each of them ask for the quebec qualification card before filling your tank

Quebec qualification card… not Canadian…
So Ontario and specifically Tobermory certification won’t fly???
Such a fake “Safety”!

Quebec qualification card… not Canadian…
So Ontario and specifically Tobermory certification won’t fly???
Such a fake “Safety”!

Dude, as a English Canadian living in Alberta, trust me when I tell you that you are embarrassing yourself and your countrymen. Don't like the rules? Don't dive in Quebec. Done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom