Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't keep much off the internet. A quick search such as, "oakville scuba diver identified" will identify the victim.

What I don't understand is why those who were on the dive don't give more information such as dive site, depth, length of dive before incident, etc. Many of us DO read this thread so we can learn from accidents. If I die while diving, I hope those who dive with me will give a detailed report and respond to any questions to the best of their knowledge. It doesn't matter whether my accident was something I did wrong, equipment failure or a health issue, I don't want anything glossed over or covered up.

here here.

You can't keep much off the internet. A quick search such as, "oakville scuba diver identified" will identify the victim.

Thanks, riftvalley84.

What I don't understand is why those who were on the dive don't give more information such as dive site, depth, length of dive before incident, etc. Many of us DO read this thread so we can learn from accidents. If I die while diving, I hope those who dive with me will give a detailed report and respond to any questions to the best of their knowledge. It doesn't matter whether my accident was something I did wrong, equipment failure or a health issue, I don't want anything glossed over or covered up.

If the victim has been identified in the press and therefore the internet, then who is the family trying to keep the victim's identity from? There's something not right about this whole thing. I'm just saying.....

Thanks, riftvalley84.

If the victim has been identified in the press and therefore the internet, then who is the family trying to keep the victim's identity from? There's something not right about this whole thing. I'm just saying.....
I'm sure they are under a lot of stress right now.

Family asked not to disclose victim's name - we respect their wish.
Are they asking for too much???
Press never respects anyone - that is all!

People who willing to help - just do it quietly without making loud buzz.
These who don't - looking for the reason why not to help.

The police released the victim's name today, presumably with the family's blessing, although I don't know that for certain.

Those of us that live in the area who know the victim and the others involved, all respected the family's wish to keep his name private.

I made a lengthy post on OntarioDiver.com about the "demands" that some have made for more information and their repeated assertion that there was some grand conspiracy to keep the details of this under wraps.

The reality is that the police have a simple mandate: investigate the accident to determine if a crime was committed. They are under no "obligation" to release any information to anyone, and IMHO, none if this is anyone's business but the family's.

The equipment has been sent to DCIEM and in time we will learn if there was a problem with it. Similarly, in time, we might learn if the victim had any health problem that might have influenced these events. My guess is that the equipment is fine, that he was healthy and as is almost always the case, this will boil down to "stuff" happens.

What is probably true is that the victim was likely only certified as AOW, and, more importantly, was lacking in current, relevant dive experience for a 145' dive, in cold water, with perhaps a fairly strong current. As I said, "stuff" happens...

The other two divers will likely comment in time as well. I don't know if they are members of SB or not, but they are on Ontario Diver. I think it's fair to assume that they are battling their own private demons at the moment and coping as best as they can. This was their friend and dive buddy. How about we cut them a little slack?

So what will we learn? Dive well, dive often, train, work your way up. Same as we always learn.

Safe diving friends!

The other two divers will likely comment in time as well. I don't know if they are members of SB or not, but they are on Ontario Diver.

Thanks for the update Stoo. Eric is a member here and I suspect that when things calm down some he may comment on the events.

Wayne

Eric is a member here and I suspect that when things calm down some he may comment on the events.

Hopefully he will. It is a very sad situation... It seems worse when it happens in your own backyard somehow too...

Memorial Fund for Dive Victim's Family published by OUC
Ontario Underwater Council

p.s. I spoke to Raimund yesterday and they working hard on getting as much truthful information as possible. OUC report will be updated as soon as they can.

Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catherines is holding a fund-raising BBQ this Sunday (19 September · 10:00 - 14:00) at Welland Scuba Park, off Lincoln St. Welland, ON

I presume you can get more information here: info@dansdiveshop.ca

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom