Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say that I find it surprising that his own defence council requested that Swain serve 18 years before being paroled, rather than a lot less. What might the reasoning be for requesting 18 years rather than, for an extreme example, one year before parole?

So the life sentence will probably carry a mandatory time served of somewhere between 18 - 25 years before being paroled. The defence and prosecution are (surprisingly to me) not very far apart...

When making a plea in mitigation, you have to be realistic what you ask for, or your submissions like credibility. The average minimum recommended to serve is about 21-22 years. So if Hayden asks the judge for even say 10 he gets laughed out of court. Asking for 18 years says, hey I recognise that the jury has convicted him of a serious offence, but for this reason and that reason, he should not be asked to serve as long as, say, a crack dealer who shot someone in a deal gone wrong.

At his age, realistically, Swain is going to be released on the basis of infirmity before his paroled anyhow. But I suspect realistically everyone is banking pretty heavily on the appeals.

He got 25 years.

I'm working on my solo diver skills more.

He got 25 years.

Yeah, I'm becoming a comitted solo diver. I did in the past because nobody was around. Now I think I'll just be more comfortable. David won't do 25 years because he won't survive that long in prison.

Lets hear for the BVI jury:mooner:

Solo diving skills are not the answer. They were essentially solo divers ... same ocean buddies. So, that's not the answer.

In fact, if David had been with his wife, he could have testified to what actually happened (assuming he didn't kill her). As it was, it was just a matter of competing experts without anyone who could say: "I saw ..."

Solo diving skills are not the answer. They were essentially solo divers ... same ocean buddies. So, that's not the answer.

In fact, if David had been with his wife, he could have testified to what actually happened (assuming he didn't kill her). As it was, it was just a matter of competing experts without anyone who could say: "I saw ..."
Yeah, I guess so. Really, sounds like the best solution for an innocent man would have been to push for a more competent autopsy at the time. I suppose that could have been done even after returning the body to the states and after the one done in BVI.

That sounds good except for the fact that he could have made that same story up and nobody would have anything but what they had to begin with, Davids word, which apparently wasn't worth more than expert witnesses. Without proof your sunk, all you have is your word and that's not good enough. Solo diving: You enter the water solo,nobody else is diving, you dive solo, you exit the water solo. As Don implies, it's safer than coming out of the water without your buddy as least in the BVI.

This is absolutely ridiculous. 25 years on apparent expert testimony commenting on a scenario they never witnessed regarding a body that never had an autopsy. Were these experts working in some scientific field of some sort? Were they divers themselves? Were they reading tealeaves or consulting soothsayers to come to their conclusions?

Give me a break! They couldn’t possibly have anything to testify about other than speculation, and a reasonable defense attorney should have copiously perused and presented the jury with the annals of diving tragedies highlighting how masks, fins, clothes, etc have been lost in panicked diver situations, sometimes almost inexplicably. Without some forensics to rule these contingencies out, reasonable doubt is established, is it not? Some are saying that both the prosecution and defense cases were weak. If that is true, then he should be found innocent. The prosecution ought to have a higher degree of burden of proof and a jury ought to hold them to that.

I would have run the experts through the ringer on this, assuming what they testified on was in fact speculation. I admit I can’t know for sure (just like everyone else), but I am trying to imagine what these experts could testify about given what isn’t known and given the time that had transpired before the trial.

Did they run through diving scenarios where they explained this was the “only way” that her body could have been found in such and such condition, or that her mask could have only come off in such and such a way? As divers we all know that experts can’t speak to this without very hard evidence predicated on data compiled from the diver’s body and the equipment taken immediately after the incident. Sans either of these things, the experts where spinning their wheels just like we are in this thread. But the crux ought to be that the man is found innocent if this plays out as it has. I think many people are right in saying that emotions and bias lead to this conviction.

Did the jury ever hear of other diving accidents from actual divers who know what it is like down there, and if they did, were they simply following prosecutor bias as Rhone man suggests?

This proves to me yet again that juries are not the way to go with trying criminal cases. They are comprised of laymen who do not understand the evidence they are looking at (or the lack thereof). I’m not sure exactly what the system should be, but I don’t get the feeling it is working well enough when I see these outcomes. If the guy is guilty, we have to expect that a prosecution team with better resources do a better job proving their case.

Scary indeed.

He got 25 years.

...well, you'll be fine diving with a buddy as long as, if something 'bad' were to happen to that buddy, you don't have an obvious strong motive for being the causitive agent for the 'bad' thing happening......cheating on your spouse, who happens to be an experienced diver, with no apparent underlying medical/spontaneous panic 'issues'...under benign/gentle diving conditions...with gear damaged by some sort of 'struggle'......who just happens to die/drown 'on your watch'......pretty much rules out the 'innocent bystander' theory.

Just out of curiosity, when was this evidence of "damaged by some sort of struggle" determined, and who did the determining? Also, what methodology was used to come to this conclusion?

Do we have witness testimony or other indications that the equipment in question wasn't previously damaged, or damaged as a result of transit, or what have you? Aside from the damage itself, what exactly, other than mere suggestion, indicates that her husband is responsible for it?

I am not claiming to know better than you or anyone else, but this seems a strange point to make if in fact the equipment was seen on the day of her death, yet not determined to be such until years after the case.

Perhaps you are privy to information that I am not.

Cheers!

...well, you'll be fine diving with a buddy as long as,...with no apparent underlying medical/spontaneous panic 'issues'

(My emphasis added)

Actually the decedent had logged about her own panic issues related to buoyancy and weighting problems during prior dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom