Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken - you believe that the evidence shows "staging" of the fin and the mask.

Not exactly. "You believe" is too definitive a statement to reflect what I said. I believe it's a POSSIBLE scenario, but perhaps a strong one.

However, this really is the more complex story for the jury to understand.

Actually, I think it's an easier story (and Occam would be happier this way).

If you want to argue that the snorkel came off the mask AND came apart, the mask strap broke, and the fin got jammed in the sand, ALL as a result of a strugle between David & Shelley, I think THAT'S a more complex story. (Think "Rose Mary Woods.")

It's actually a much simpler story to say (1) he turned off her air and held her down until she was unconscious, and then (2) he scattered her gear around to make it look like a panic attack or accident.

Also think of this: It seems in my mind fairly well-established that the ONLY way for the fin to be tip-down in the sand is for someone to have deliberately stuck it in that way. If you go with the David-did-it scenario, doesn't it make sense to say that if he placed/staged one piece of gear/evidence (the fin) he would likely do others as well (the mask and the snorkel)???

- Ken

Ken - I agree that the fin represents a problem for the case of struggle. Why do you think the prosecution went with both the mask and the fin showing a struggle between two human beings? If there is a second trial, do you think they should change that strategy? And if they changed their strategy, wouldn't that be something the defense could attack at a second trial? And if you were advising the prosecution, would you advise them to change it?

Sorry, Ken, but I don't buy much of what you have to say. For a guy who has railed against speculation, you certainly did an awful lot of it. Your description of what, you seem to say, probably happened sounds an awful lot like your description of the perfect diving murder from another thread.

First, with regard to seeing Shelley and her fin. If it was so obvious and right along the path, then Thwaites would have seen it before ever reaching the bottom in this great visibility that you all describe. Or, maybe the mooring line isn't where you are assuming it to be relative to the wrecks and reef?

As far as the staging of the scene goes, I'm not sure how anyone would think that sticking a fin into the sand 30' away from the body would give the impression of panic. It certainly wouldn't suggest that to me. Would you finish killing your wife and then take off her fin, swim 30' away and stick it into the sand as a means of suggesting she had an accident? Ever hear of an accident that happened like that in calm clear water? I bet David had heard of or even experienced a few diving accidents in his years as an instructor and shop owner. You would think he'd be able to construct a more believable accident scene if he were so inclined. Maybe even left her snagged on the wreck or with her body sticking into some compartment.

As far as Occam's razor goes, I think we have different views of words like "simple" and "plausible". It's much more simple in my mind for someone to catch their snorkel on a wreck as they poke their head inside to look for fish than to assume a murder. The whole money thing makes no sense based upon what facts we have here. What happened to all the money? If it went to pay debts he had relating to his shop then it is no surprise that it was spent quickly. Did he buy a shiny new car or put in a hot tub at the house? Buy thousands of dollars in jewelry? I haven't seen any facts relating to where the money ended up. I don't know the answers, so it's hard to judge. He certainly didn't have much money available to pay the best lawyers to defend him against the civil suit, and had nothing after it was over. The fact that he endedd up broke doesn't prove he wasn't after money, but it doesn't sound like he took any aggressive actions to protect his fortune.

The problem here is that the defense was put into the position to explain what unusual event occurred under the sea to take Shelley's life. If, as David claims, he wasn't there when she died, then how could he be expected to know what happened to her and to provide a scenario? If he says "I don't know, maybe X happened?", then proving it wasn't X isn't the same as proving he killed her.

I'm a great believer in logic and analysis. We all very easily come to the conclusion that it was possible for David to have killed Shelley. Many will come to the conclusion that he has some responsibility for her death as her buddy even if he didn't directly cause it.

I don't know if he did it. I wouldn't be shocked if it were proven either way by some actual evidence. Because of that, and in spite of the persuasive arguments, I would have a hard time convicting him of murder. I can't even imagine doing it with almost no deliberation.

If-Dave-would-do-it-he-would-do-it-in-Rhode-Island-where-he-wouldn't-get-caught defense - The jury would not consider this argument because the fact is, she died in BVI and that is the case that is being brought before them. The prosecution can easily argue that commiting a crime in a foreign country with little experience with investigating murder, let alone scuba murder and where David has a chance to leave the country before an investigation is completed as a very attractive location to commit such a crime. They could also easily contend that committing such a crime on a "romantic getaway" would garner more sympathy for the defendant.

Money-as-motive - really? No motive? Receiving $680K and saving his dive shop is not motive? Money means little to Dave? He burned through that money in three years like it was nothing. Lavish vacations and keeping the love of his life going - his dive shop. The jury simply could not discount this obvious motive as easily as you. You know him personally and you can't believe that money means anything to him, the jury does not.

In the court of public opinion all evidence is admissible. I'm not writing to a jury. You make my point about the money, he didn't save it invest it or save his dive shop with it, he burned through it like he didn't care, because he didn't / doesn't.

In the court of public opinion all evidence is admissible. I'm not writing to a jury. You make my point about the money, he didn't save it invest it or save his dive shop with it, he burned through it like he didn't care, because he didn't / doesn't.

I see.

David "burned through" almost $700k in life insurance proceeds in a very short time following his wife's death, because he "didn't care about the money".

Got it.

:cool2:

First, with regard to seeing Shelley and her fin. If it was so obvious and right along the path, then Thwaites would have seen it before ever reaching the bottom in this great visibility that you all describe. Or, maybe the mooring line isn't where you are assuming it to be relative to the wrecks and reef?

The pictures I posted earlier should help to visualize the dive site and the layout of distances between the anchor line, the wrecks, the fin and the reef. Who is to say that Thwaites did not see the fin before reaching the bottom? The jury would question first why Swain did not see the fin when Thwaites did see the fin before they would pose the question you are posing.

As far as the staging of the scene goes, I'm not sure how anyone would think that sticking a fin into the sand 30' away from the body would give the impression of panic. It certainly wouldn't suggest that to me. Would you finish killing your wife and then take off her fin, swim 30' away and stick it into the sand as a means of suggesting she had an accident? Ever hear of an accident that happened like that in calm clear water? I bet David had heard of or even experienced a few diving accidents in his years as an instructor and shop owner. You would think he'd be able to construct a more believable accident scene if he were so inclined. Maybe even left her snagged on the wreck or with her body sticking into some compartment.

Staging certainly would cause confusion with any investigation and I would venture to guess that most people who commit murder will quickly react to change the evidence in some way to create confusion so that evidence does not remain intact in its original state. The scenarios that you come up with to stage a better murder may not be the same scenarios that someone else would come up with. Staging her inside the wreck is too specific and attempts to create to much detail to in order for the investigation to come up with a particular conclusion. Panic is more generic, less specific and a safer choice. In addition, those were very small wrecks, so its not like you could stage it to where she got inside and panicked and got lost and ran out of air. There is not much there to snag on either in order to create a horrendous panic of being stuck on something and unable to escape. That would be like dying of panic with your index fingers stuck in a chinese puzzle. Look at the pictures of those wrecks - do they really look that menacing to you? In addition, she was counting fish - that activity, as Ken pointed out occurs on the reef, not the wreck.

As far as Occam's razor goes, I think we have different views of words like "simple" and "plausible". It's much more simple in my mind for someone to catch their snorkel on a wreck as they poke their head inside to look for fish than to assume a murder.

This really sounds more like an argument for the idea that she didn't actually die. Something killed her and it wasn't a snagged snorkel. A snagged snorkel does not explain a threaded mouthpiece that is ripped off the snorkel. It doesn't explain a missing slate. It doesn't explain a broken mask strap, it doesn't explain a broken mask pin, it doesn't explain a fin that is removed and placed upright in the sand. Jury must have everything explained, not just one little thing.

The whole money thing makes no sense based upon what facts we have here. What happened to all the money? If it went to pay debts he had relating to his shop then it is no surprise that it was spent quickly. Did he buy a shiny new car or put in a hot tub at the house? Buy thousands of dollars in jewelry? I haven't seen any facts relating to where the money ended up.

I don't know the answers, so it's hard to judge. He certainly didn't have much money available to pay the best lawyers to defend him against the civil suit, and had nothing after it was over. The fact that he endedd up broke doesn't prove he wasn't after money, but it doesn't sound like he took any aggressive actions to protect his fortune.

There was a forensic analysis of Swain's financial affairs. He blew through $680K of money that he gained from Shelley's death. The short story is, he blew it on lavish vacations and keeping his dive store operating. However, he was already out of money and bankrupt before the civil trial. Apparently you missed this part and are hoping that the jury will just ignore it - they won't.

You've never heard of anyone killing for money because they wanted to live an extravagant lifestyle and blew through money like it was water without a care in the world? Really?

The problem here is that the defense was put into the position to explain what unusual event occurred under the sea to take Shelley's life. If, as David claims, he wasn't there when she died, then how could he be expected to know what happened to her and to provide a scenario? If he says "I don't know, maybe X happened?", then proving it wasn't X isn't the same as proving he killed her.

This is usually the case for the defense and it really is the nature of how the examination of evidence works. There was a recent criminal defense case I was involved in where all the facts really favored the defense and when it came time to tell the complete narrative story of what really happened, the prosecution had no chance. The evidence must be explained, whether it is the defendant who does it or the defendant's attorneys. David as a witness was in a "I-don't-know-because-I-wasn't-there position." Not a good position for the defendant to be in and I agree with Ken, the defense never should have put him on the stand. The jury really needed to hear him explain the evidence away. He couldn't do it and it hurt him, and did not help him.

I don't know if he did it. I wouldn't be shocked if it were proven either way by some actual evidence. Because of that, and in spite of the persuasive arguments, I would have a hard time convicting him of murder. I can't even imagine doing it with almost no deliberation.

Even though the jury agrees not to formerly deliberate with each other until the case is rested, they are deliberating in their own minds through the entire trial. When they come back in just five hours with a verdict, it means they were all pretty much thinking the same thing. So that tells me that if Swain does get a second trial, he has a real uphill battle to sway the minds of a jury.

Last edited:

An appeal won't get him out of jail. The best it can do is get him a second trial and that will involve a jury. Maybe your purpose is to try and convince everyone in a public forum that he is innocent and that will make you feel better. I understand. That still won't get him out of jail.

The money - he did manage to save his dive shop for a few more years than would have otherwise been the case. The point is - he didn't care about managing his money wisely, but I'm sure he really enjoyed spending it. Money and living a high lifestyle has been a motive for murder for thousands of years and probably millions of people have been killed throughout history for it. You simply can't get rid of that motive so easily by saying just because they spent it, they didn't really want it and they wouldn't kill to have it. No one quite honestly, will ever buy that argument.

So that tells me that if Swain does get a second trial, he has a real uphill battle to sway the minds of a jury.

K_girl is spot on with her analysis of this case but I'm not sure if I agree with this last part.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that David's battle in a second trial would be up "current"?

From post 209:
Continuation of Royle interview:

In my interview with Keith Royle, I asked if he had noticed the equipment when he was called to the scene, and if he had an opinion about the evidence concerning equipment.

“The mask was in the dinghy,” he recalls, “ but the snorkel I didn’t see, which is really irrelevant because she would’ve had a regulator in her mouth and not a snorkel. I didn’t think much about that at all, since they could’ve broken the mask and snorkel trying to lift her up from the water to the dinghy.”

This is irrelevant because Royale never testified about Shelley's mask because he would have no way of knowing whose mask he was looking at. More than likely he was looking at Thwaites' mask. Since the defense tried to argue that Shelley's mask was broken during a panic episode, they must have accepted that the mask that Brown recovered from the scene was indeed, Shelley's mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom