Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bold added

That is really damaging evidence. So Swain had mentioned to the police that he wasn't sure if the mouthpiece was still on possibly the day BEFORE the mask/snorkel was even found. He claims that he did not see her after the first five minutes or so of the dive, the mask/snorkel was not retrieved the day that Shelley was found, and yet he had knowledge that no one else had (yet) about the state of her damaged equipment. I think the prosecutor is right and he made a slip of the tongue claiming information that he would not have known had he not seen it.

Remember, as the prosecuter said, the snorkle/mouthpiece was still unseen and unfound at the bottom of the sea at the time Swain mis-spoke. Brown retrieved the mask and snorkle with the missing mouthpiece the NEXT DAY after Shelley died.

I can't help but wonder if this is true, why BVI police didn't arrest him soon after they found the mask with the mouthpiece missing. Of course I noticed it, but didn't mention it because I don't necessarily trust how police conduct their interviews, I would leave open the possibility that they may have fed him his information. I would want to see exactly how this came down. I would want to see the investigators' notes, trial testimony, or better yet, a transcript or recording.

I wonder if the defense attempted to accuse the investigator of feeding this information to Swain during the defense's re-direct of Swain. That would be better than the simple denial that "it did not happen" during the cross.

David said that he was referring to whether or not the reg mouthpiece was in Shelley's mouth when Christian brought Shelley up. The police are not familiar with dive equipment and did not know the difference between a regulator mouthpiece and a snorkel mouthpiece. I believe this was covered in the defense's case, but as per usual, that's not reported here. You may note that none of the defense testimony was presented.....

Remember...this case was investigated by the Tortolan police and determined to be an ACCIDENTAL DROWNING. The inclusion of "unless it was found to be something else" was legalese to cover their butts. But at the time, BVI had no reason to believe that Shelley's death was anything but a scuba accident.

I replied to Ayisha's post before reading your post. This actually makes more sense to me. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Visual representation of distances from NBC Dateline story.

Mooring to wreck. Shelly was found between the two wrecks on the far left.

Mooring%20to%20Wreck.jpg

Mooring%20to%20Wreck%201.jpg

Mooring%20to%20Wreck%203.jpg

Visual representation of distance from wreck to reef:

Wreck%20to%20Reef.jpg

Fin to the wreck:

Fin%20Re-enactment%202.jpg

Fin standing upright as Thwaites described:

Fin%20Re-enactment.jpg

If there was a way to distinguish fresh bruises, that would be important, but I'm not a pathologist who understands the color-ranking of bruises in autopsy reports. Ken may be able to provide some answers in that area.

Outside my area of expertise. And just to be clear, I'm not a pathologist but a scuba instructor who gives analysis and advice to the LA County Corner's office when it comes to scuba fatalities.

(Still working on my written analysis and have some editing/proofing to do.)

- Ken

bold added

That is really damaging evidence. So Swain had mentioned to the police that he wasn't sure if the mouthpiece was still on possibly the day BEFORE the mask/snorkel was even found. He claims that he did not see her after the first five minutes or so of the dive, the mask/snorkel was not retrieved the day that Shelley was found, and yet he had knowledge that no one else had (yet) about the state of her damaged equipment. I think the prosecutor is right and he made a slip of the tongue claiming information that he would not have known had he not seen it.

Remember, as the prosecuter said, the snorkle/mouthpiece was still unseen and unfound at the bottom of the sea at the time Swain mis-spoke. Brown retrieved the mask and snorkle with the missing mouthpiece the NEXT DAY after Shelley died.

The prosecution refers to a previous statement by David, but the text of that statement isn't presented. It's impossible to know what was actually said or the context. That said, I do get the feeling from the questions and answers that the prosecutor is twisting things here. One thing that seems quite clear from reading these transcripts is that the prosecution isn't looking for the truth. They are looking to win a case. It may turn out to be the same thing in the end and it may be the typical and practical method for prosecuting such a case, but it sure doesn't make me proud to be one of the good guys.

(Warning/disclaimer - This is going to be loooong.)

I too was very interested in seeing the "Dateline" piece Friday night. And rather than answering things post-by-post, I thought I'd take a run at the entire body of evidence and see what it might say, now that many of us have had a chance to see it presented and heard some of David's own words.

I also want to remind people of the two things I do. One is that I'm the Forensic Consultant for the Los Angeles County Coroner when there's a scuba fatality. So what I'm about to write are some of the thoughts I'd have or questions I'd raise if I was looking at the case from that perspective.

The second thing I want to remind you of is that I've also had a career as a journalist, mostly with PBS (KCET-TV) here in L.A., but also with KABC-TV, plus some radio stations, and I still do work for LACityView35.

From a journalistic standpoint, I thought the NBC piece was quite fair and balanced. All they seemed to do, to my eye/ear, was really present all the different facts and facets of the case. If you feel David didn't do it, I think you could walk away feeling the NBC program supported that view. If you feel David did do it, I think you could walk away feeling that view was supported as well.

But they did make some interesting editing choices. I found it especially intriguing that they chose to close with a powerful quote from Betsy Dake: "Prison means that there are no other facts, there are no other explanations. Prison means that there is no reasonable doubt . . . When I look at the possibilities, there's a ton of reasonable doubt." Interesting choice as the closing in an otherwise balanced piece.

I have to confess that there’s one thing that bothers me a bit in some of the posts we've made here as well as in the program. And that’s the overuse (IMHO) of the term "reasonable doubt." To my mind, there's "doubt" and there's "reasonable doubt." In other words, I could offer some other scenario (like with the fin-in-the-sand) to induce doubt but that doesn't make it "reasonable".

Possible? Maybe. Plausible. Not so much.

There’s a very useful thing I learned long ago that’s called Occam's Razor. It’s a corollary that simply says, when all else is equal, if you have two hypotheses, the one that requires the least twisting and turning of thought is probably the most likely correct. In other words, the simpler explanation is more likely to be true than the more convoluted one.

When thinking of this, I’m reminded of Rose Mary Woods, secretary to President Richard Nixon during the Watergate crisis. You may recall that there was a question of an 18-minute gap in the secretly-recorded White House tapes. It was widely presumed that the gap was deliberately erased, most likely by Nixon, and that it was to cover-up damaging evidence of his involvement with either Watergate or the cover-up.

Then along comes Ms. Woods with her explanation that’s now known as “The Rose Mary Woods Stretch.” She explained that it was she who had accidentally erased that portion of the tape one day as she answered the phone. She reached to her left for the phone while stretching her foot in the exact opposite direction and accidentally hitting the erase button on the Dictaphone, obliterating 18 minutes of tape.

She even showed reporters what she meant in this famous photo:

Rosemary_woods.jpg

Applying the principles of Occam’s Razor in case of the Nixon tapes, your choices are (1) Ms. Woods' convolutions and contortions, or (2) that someone - likely Nixon - deliberately erased the damning portions of the tapes. The simpler answer is a more straightforward explanation and, according to Occam, more likely to be true.

And if you ever try to duplicate what Woods supposedly did, it’s not how you’d normally move when answering a phone. Possible? Yes. Plausible? No.

In the Swain case, keep those principles in mind. Also remember that we need to look at the totality of the evidence. You can't just cherry-pick the facts. It doesn't mean a hypothesis has to answer everything but the more answers a hypothesis can provide, the stronger a candidate for the truth it likely is.

Also remember that a lot of times you deal with a sequence of events, like cause-and-effect. If A happened, then B would happen. If B happened, then we'd see C. And so on. So at some point, if you don't see C, then it can't be A.

Also realize that some times what you do is assemble every single plausible and implausible scenario. And then you start testing them. You knock them out one-by-one because the evidence doesn't support the theory. In the end, if you are left with one scenario that you can't disprove, there's a good chance that that's what happened.

There are some other unusual and specific facts we have to consider in devising scenarios:

1. Mask is off with strap pin dislodged.
2. Snorkel is off of mask strap and missing lower portion.
3. Fin is found tip-first in the sand.
4. Heel strap on fin is pulled back and underneath.

In this case, we start with the fact that Shelley Tyre is found drowned underwater. The regulator is out of her mouth but there's still air in her tank. So the first things we start to ask is, Why would this happen? (And we can look at this in the absence of medical evidence, though we now know that the ruling is drowning, which really doesn't tell us much. We still want to know "Why.")

Apparently, there was no equipment malfunction. I know there are some questions about the testing of the gear. But what will happen to gear that just sits around is it may corrode and get worse than on the day of the accident. But it won't get better. So even if the gear wasn't tested back in 1999, my understanding is that once it was tested, it worked. So we rule out equipment malfunction.

There's been a lot of talk about Shelley panicking. Let's look at that. I don't give a lot of weight to the notations in her logbook. The woman had 350 dives under her belt. The conditions that day sounded pretty benign. What was the trigger that would have caused her to panic? Possible? Yes, although saying that panic can strike any diver at any time is a bit of an overstatement IMHO. Plausible? I'm not convinced. Here’s why.

In a panic situation, a diver most likely bolts to the surface. They may not make it all the way up but the panic response in a diver is the classic fight-or-flight and they shoot up looking for air and the "safety" of the surface.

If Shelley panicked, could a panic ascent explain everything? It certainly would explain the reg-out-of-mouth. It might also explain the mask as she could have ripped it off in a panicked state. But it doesn't explain how the snorkel would have come off the mask let alone apart, and it certainly wouldn't explain the fin-in-the-sand.

To me, fin-in-the-sand is a big one. As I mentioned in a previous post, expert Bill Oliver tested the fin and found that when they were dropped, they fell to the bottom foot-pocket first, not tip first. (This makes sense as the foot pocket is heaver than the tip and, as it falls, the heavy end rotates down to become the first thing to hit bottom.) The only way Bill could get the fins in the sand tip-first was to jam them in by hand.

This experiment was repeated for the NBC show by Keith Royle. He said: “I went down in the same area and tried to do the same thing myself with the fin on, and it was impossible. The only way I could actually get it to stick in the sand was physically, with my hands, putting it into the sand."

For this scenario to work, you'd have to argue that a panicking diver first pulled her fin strap under the heel, then took off her fin, jammed it in to the sand tip-first, and THEN bolted for the surface??? Occam's Razor: Too convoluted, and doesn't explain the snorkel.

I just don’t think the totality of the physical evidence supports any theory that Shelley panicked and bolted.

Are there other accidental ways she could have dislodged the reg from her mouth AND caused the other things as well? She could have gotten the reg lodged/stuck in a piece of the wreck but there's no evidence to support that. She could have lost the reg from her mouth and a current swept the reg out of her grasp but there's no evidence to support that. She could have had an uncontrollable coughing spell which caused the drowning but that wouldn't explain the mask/snorkel/fin.

I don't think there's an accidental scenario that fits the totality of the physical evidence.

So if it wasn't accidental, and assuming she didn't commit suicide (also wouldn't explain the mask/snorkel/fin), could it have been deliberate by someone else? because those are really our only two choices: Accident or Deliberate. If you rule out Accident, you have to look at Deliberate. Remember you're going to need Means and Opportunity, and then Motive for it to be murder.

Anyone underwater had the Means to do her in by cutting off or eliminating her air supply. Could it have been someone unknown? Well, there's no evidence or testimony of any other boat in the immediate area so we can probably rule out some unknown third party swimming up to her and killing her.

But we do know of TWO people who had Means and Opportunity and that would have been Swain and Thwaites. Let's look at Thwaites first.

There's been talk of Shelley's air consumption and the assumption that whatever went wrong happened about 8 minutes into the dive. But others contend that Shelley had much better air consumption than is being presumed, which would have pushed the timeline back. So let's say that maybe this happened 16 minutes into the dive. And if you really want to be generous, give her phenomenally low air consumption and make it 20 minutes in to the dive.

I don't recall why, but my impression is that Swain did about a 30-minute dive. Thwaites wasn't going in until Swain was back on the boat. Let's assume it took Thwaites 5 minutes after Swain re-boarded the boat to gear up and do down. Give him another 2 minutes to get to the bottom (80-ish feet), maybe another 1 minute to get to the fin, and then 1 more minute to get to the wreck and Shelley.

That's 39 minutes. No matter whose timeline you use (8 minutes, 16 minutes, or 20 minutes), whatever happened to Shelley had to have happened before Thwaites got to her. That eliminates Thwaites as a suspect.

So if we've eliminated Accidental and accept that it was Deliberate, and if we've eliminated an unknown third party and Thwaites, that only leaves one person with Opportunity: Swain. That doesn't mean he did it. But it does mean we should look at it this from that perspective and test that scenario.

For those of you that know David or have formed an opinion one way or the other, you need to try to set that aside for the moment and just think of this as two unknown divers. Without taking into account character or motive, you have to dispassionately look at whether or not this scenario is possible &/or plausible based on the evidence, not based on what you may feel about David personally.

If he took away her air, how could he do it? I saw on NBC the video the prosecution produced and while it might be possible, I'm not so sure it's plausible. For one, I think it fails Occam's Razor as it's a bit complicated.

It takes about 3-4 turns of the knob to shut down someone’s air. You rotate your wrist in roughly half-turns. So it's really 6-8 wrist rotations to turn off someone's air. In the time it's taking you to turn it off, they've got time to react and perhaps fight you off. They'd certainly know something was amiss and there's a chance they could get away. But there's an easier and simpler way.

Stay behind the person, wait for them to exhale and when you see the bubbles stop, yank the reg from their mouth. This not only catches them by surprise (and induces anxiety) but it also means they have less air in their lungs and will become air-starved more quickly.

By approaching from behind, you can also clamp you knees around the tank which will make it virtually impossible for the other diver to dislodge you. (Try it in a pool sometime, minus the out-of-air part.) On top of that, given where the body was found, it's possible to have used the wreck for leverage to hold Shelley down.

(Part 2 follows as a separate post.)

(Continued from part 1 - previous post)

One quick word about where Shelley was found: Someone earlier said "We know where the accident occurred." No we don't. We know where Shelley was found, assuming Thwaites has it correct. But that doesn't mean that's where everything took place. It's possible that the body was moved into that position afterwards. There's no way, at this point, to know either way.

If Swain was able to deny Shelley air, what about the mask/snorkel/fin? I think it's possible that this was staged in an attempt to cover thing sup and make it look like a panicked diver. If Swain really did this, isn't it likely to think he'd try to cover things up and make it look like an accident? He made this statement at his depo: "There aren’t many but there are some situations where there are some people in whatever they do, they just perish. It's not right, but it happens." If he did it, he'd probably try to cover his tracks.

So, as I said in a previous post, for this scenario assume all the gear was in place. After Shelley’s unconscious, David rips off the mask and the pin pops out. He pulls the snorkel off the strap and then pulls it apart. (I'm unclear if the mouthpiece part of the snorkel was ever found.) Then he takes off the fin, and jams it into the sand.

Now he feel that he's created a rubble field of gear that can make it look like Shelley did a panicked ascent (don't forget he's probably a little nervous/panicked himself as well) and no one will be any the wiser. He then swims over to the reef and tools around a bit more to give him a better alibi. He finishes his dive, surfaces, and causally asks if anyone's seen Shelley yet. Then he waits while Thwaites goes under, knowing Thwaites will find Shelley on the bottom.

Possible? Yes. Plausible? If you’re willing to accept the notion that Swain might have killed Shelley, yes.

A couple of other points to consider relating to the amount of air. Those who are defending Swain says Shelley's air consumption was such that the amount of air in her tank and her air consumption rate were such that whatever happened to her happened well after 8 minutes into the dive and Swain was already gone from the wrecks on the reef. Therefore, he couldn't have killed her because he wasn't with her. Except . . .

What if he's lying about the amount of time he spent on the wrecks? Again, come from the angle that he did it and has reason not to tell the truth. Swain said at depo he was on the wrecks for "Certainly less than ten minutes, probably more than five.” Is there any other proof that that's true? What if everyone’s right about Shelley's air consumption but Swain was really on the wreck site for 20 minutes and simply didn't tell the truth?

I'd also be really interested in seeing Swain's computer from that dive and the dives that came earlier in the week. I have no idea what computer he was diving but you would presume that a dive instructor and shop owner would have the latest and greatest and even back in 1999, we had downloadable air-integrated computers. If Swain had one of those, it might be possible, by looking at his depth on a minute-by-minute basis, to determine if he was on the wreck or on the reef at various points in the dive.

On top of that, if his computer recorded air consumption, that could be the most telling piece of evidence. If it showed that on this dive he either had a significantly higher overall consumption, due to nerves and an underwater struggle, or that there was a portion of the dive where his consumption rate significantly spiked, that would certainly be consistent with Swain having killed her.

On the other hand, if his air consumption showed no significant change from previous dives, and no spike at any one portion of the dive, that would also likely seem to be a powerful indicator that he had nothing to do with Shelley's death. Though not 100% conclusive, he'd have to be one calm dude to have done the deed and not changed his breathing pattern.

And if Shelley’s computer was also downloadable, it would be interesting to lay the profiles one on top of the other and maybe get a better idea of who was where when.

Back to the fin-in the-sand for a moment. The notion that Shelley jammed it in herself to mark something just doesn't seem to make any sense. Have you ever tried to swim with ONE fin??? It's not easy nor comfortable. And the idea that the fin was rubbing her foot so she took it off also doesn't seem to make sense. If the fin was that uncomfortable, I think you'd more likely abort the dive and try to get another set of fins rather than take your fin off, stick it in the sand, hope you remember where you stuck it, and get it later.

If you accept that the only way for the fin to have gotten stuck tip-first is for someone to have done that deliberately, the only two people with Opportunity were Swain and Shelley. If you can’t come up with a good reason why Shelley would have done it, then that only leaves Swain as a possibility.

The same principle applies to the snorkel. If you look at the picture . . .

Snorkle.jpg

. . . you'll note the bottom of the snorkel tube is corrugated. I can't tell which model snorkel this is but the mouthpiece, I think, doesn't attach directly there. There’s usually either a small, clear corrugated tube to which the mouthpiece attaches, or there's a small clear plastic piece which completes the curve of the snorkel and to which the mouthpiece then attaches.

But the key thing here is the corrugation ridges. This isn’t just a simple mouthpiece that easily snaps on or off. These things are tough to pull apart. No impossible, but they don't come apart without some force being applied to them.

So if we concede that some person had to pull these apart, the only two people with Opportunity would have been Swain and Shelley. And no one's yet come up with a plausible reason why Shelley would pull her snorkel apart. I can't imagine this happening if she panicked and ripped the mask off. And if Shelley didn’t do it, that leaves Swain as the only one with Opportunity. And when he's the only one with Opportunity for both the fin and the snorkel, it present a stronger circumstantial case.

And while none of this is "strong" evidence, some of the things Swain said in his deposition caused me to ask more questions.

I'm bothered a bit by the way he describes his dive plan with Shelley. Swain said: "That we'd stick together getting down to where it was we wanted to go, and then after that, she'd go off and do her reef fish survey count, and I'd go off and take pictures." I don't have a problem with them planning to split up and diving solo but, I do note that he said "reef fish survey". Maybe I'm putting too much stock in this but if she's doing a "reef fish" survey, why isn't she on the reef instead of the wreck? It's a minor thing. Or is it a slip-up on Swain's part?

Then he says: "Have a vague recollection of circumnavigating the wrecks, poking around the wrecks, and seeing Shelley still interested in looking at something around there, and that's the last time I saw her, as I swam off towards the reef." I'm bothered by the last part of this sentence.

Here's a guy who's an instructor, presumably good buddy awareness skills, diving with his wife, with a plan to split up. No problem so far. But I know when I have a plan like that, I generally do one thing Swain never mentions: I wave goodbye or at least somehow signal the other person that I'm leaving them and that they’re now officially on their own.

Swain makes no mention of that. He just "swam off towards the reef." Don't you think you'd give some sort of signal? And it's not like the wrecks are all that big that it wasn't practical to signal her. And he seems to indicate he knew where she was. So why didn't he mention anything about letting her know he was going? Again, nothing in and of itself but bothersome along with everything else.

I'm also curious to know the physical relationship between (1) the wrecks, (2) the bottom of the mooring line, and (3) the reef.

From Thwaites description, it sounds like the bottom of the mooring line is on the sandy bottom, between the reef and the wrecks. Not sure if it’s a triangle or a straight line but it probably doesn’t matter. Thwaites describes swimming down, encountering the fin, and then coming to the wrecks where he found Shelley. If that's true and I have the spatial orientation correct . . .

How come Swain didn't see Shelley on the bottom when he came back up? It sounds like he came up the mooring line at the end of his dive. Assuming he DIDN’T kill her, wouldn't it be logical that as he came over the reef and was going to head to the mooring line, that he'd glance towards the wrecks to see if Shelley was still there? And if he had glanced that way, wouldn't he have seen her in the position Thwaites found her? And he wouldn't he have then been the one to bring her up? (And if he DID kill her, a much better it-wasn't-me scenario perhaps.)

But if he did kill her, he swims by her body, passes the fin sticking in the sand, comes up the mooring line, asks if anyone has seen her, and then waits for Thwaites to come across the body.

And let's revisit the fin. Again, if I have the spatial relationship correct, Swain comes off the reef over the sandy bottom to the mooring line. Wouldn't he have likely seen the fin sticking up out of the sand on his way to the mooring line, the same way Thwaites saw it on his way to the wrecks from the mooring line? And if Swain didn't kill Shelley, wouldn't this have signaled to him that something was wrong?

And even if the fin-sticking-in-the-sand didn't cause him to go look for her on the wreck, don’t you think he might have picked it up, thinking Shelley dropped it? And even if he didn’t pick it up, don’t you think it would have at least caused him upon surfacing to say, "Is Shelley back yet? I just saw her fin sticking in the sand and that's weird." Instead he just asks if she's back yet.

Now admittedly, none of this is conclusive at all. But there does seem to be a mountain of circumstantial evidence that Swain has a hard time explaining away. And while it isn’t "proof beyond a reasonable doubt," a lot of the explanations that might raise doubt, to my mind, don't seem that plausible.

To my mind, there are a number of key issues and pieces of evidence (all the various ramifications the fin being to me the most damning) where Swain is simply unable to answer other than to say "No." And remember what Bruce said earlier: A jury can choose to disregard what someone is testifying to if they don't feel their story is truthful. (And if he did kill her, he’s going to lie about it anyhow.) And if the jury doesn't believe Swain's testimony, then there's essentially no other version on the table except the prosecution's contention that Swain killed Shelley.

Then throw in Motive and it makes it even stronger. If it was true that Shelley was going to take a job closer to home but for less money which might mean the shop would have to close, all I can tell you is that when we had to close the retail storefront for our store (Reef Seekers) in 2006, it was quite emotional for me. And for Swain, who had had that store for years, apparently loved what he was doing, and didn’t do anything else, to have it all threatened by someone whose elimination would provide insurance money to keep him going, maybe that was enough to push him over the edge.

But one possible flaw here is the question of "Why do it with witnesses?" Thwaites had his wife and young son along. Wouldn't it have been easier had it just been Shelley and David? Maybe so. But maybe also he figured he and Shelley would be underwater alone with al the Thwaites on the boat, so that's the same as not having witnesses. And maybe the prospect of people on the boat made it easier to "sell" the story of a horrible accident rather than a sinister deed. After all, it was Thwaites who brought up Shelley, not Swain.

And it may be, as someone else mentioned, that this was the end of the trip, the thought of losing the shop was becoming more and more a reality, and this was Swain’s last chance before returning home.

Also give some thought to the idea that if David killed her on home turf, he may have expected that there would be a more thorough investigation by the Rhode Island authorities than you're going to get in BVI. It's certainly possible to think you've got a better chance of getting away with it down there because (1) it’s more likely to look like an accident when you're on unfamiliar turf, and (2) you might assume they wouldn't have the resources, knowledge, or wherewithal to investigate and prosecute. (You probably don’t associate the Caribbean with cutting-edge CSI-like technology. Don't lose sight of the fact that BVI didn’t go after David until after the civil case was decided and they thought, Maybe there's more to this after all.)

As I said at the beginning, these are some of the questions that come into my mind. It may well be that this is nothing more than a tragic accident and Swain is caught in the middle of most unfortunate circumstances. But there are an awful lot of questions and the explanations that would possibly exonerate him don't seem to me to ring as true or plausible as they should.

I don't know that this all rises to the level of "beyond a reasonable doubt". But I go back to another statement that I made earlier which is when you take all the possibilities, and you eliminate everything but one, if you can't eliminate that one as well, maybe then you’re looking at the truth.

- Ken

Ken, I can't address every point, point by point as my right arm is back in a sling and typing is a project. I will however address two points,the home turf vs away location and motivation. If what you described happened in RI there's a better than even chance that a body would NOT be found at all. The currents and low visibility here in RI make recovery efforts very difficult. It would make more sense to commit such a crime here in RI. Add to that fact that Dave was a town councilman in his hometown therefore a member of the RI establishment which in this corrupt state affords one a certain amount of protection from prosecution, and it makes much more sense to do it here. I can assure everyone that Dave and Shelly were not vacation only divers. Dave's love of the ocean and diving is very much like mine. Dave's baptismal to diving was made in Newport, RI. He didn't dive anywhere except RI for 10 years that I know of. The money as motivation is HIGHLY uncharacteristic of Dave. All the time I've known Dave money has not been a motivating factor for him. I'm not dismissing it as impossible, just commenting that it is unlikely in this case. Seems that all of what you posted could have and should have been done in 1999. All the evidence that you used was available in 1999 the only thing that changed was a civil suit that Dave made very little effort to win. With all the money that he supposedly killed for at stake he didn't show up for 2 days knowing he would receive a default judgment and lose the money. So much for motive.

Last edited:
bold added

From post 209:
Continuation of Royle interview:

Trial testimony about the equipment

Testimony in the trial given by an expert in analyzing scuba diving equipment called attention to the condition of Shelley Tyre’s dive equipment. It included a torn mask and a snorkel separated from its mouthpiece, which he attributed to “an unusual force applied to the mask and snorkel” and concluded “this damage is not consistent with normal diving practices.” Also baffling was the location of one of Tyre’s fins, found more than 30 feet from her body, and its position, “stuck by the blade three inches into the sand.”

In my interview with Keith Royle, I asked if he had noticed the equipment when he was called to the scene, and if he had an opinion about the evidence concerning equipment.

“The mask was in the dinghy,” he recalls, “ but the snorkel I didn’t see, which is really irrelevant because she would’ve had a regulator in her mouth and not a snorkel. I didn’t think much about that at all, since they could’ve broken the mask and snorkel trying to lift her up from the water to the dinghy.”

The fin, however, is another story. Royle says, “One thing I heard is that she took it off to mark her way back, but that would be one of the most stupid things to do, to take off your one means of propulsion under the water, and it was stuck deep in the sand.” He then described going back to the dive site last week with reporters in an effort to try to simulate how the fin may have been driven into the sandy bottom. “I actually put a pair of fins on just like Shelley was wearing and tried to wiggle one into the sand with it on; there was no possible way. I had to take it off and do a soaring motion down into the sand (with some force) to get it to stay up there.”

The prosecution’s supposition was that the state of her dive equipment, including the fin’s placement in the sand, was indicative of a violent struggle between Shelley and her husband, one that resulted in her death by drowning. Defense suggestions that, while she was an experienced diver, she was prone to panic also did not ring true to Royle. “It doesn’t seem plausible, as I’ve been told she’d done more than 300 dives, and there’s nothing on the dive site to panic over, really. In my experience, when people panic they bolt to the surface. She would have been found on the surface rather than the bottom in that case. For her to stay on the bottom, her BC (buoyancy compensator) must have been totally deflated and she must have been slight overweighted.”

Seems there's a question of when the mask was at the surface. Was it brought up with Shelly, damaging both the mask and snorkel getting Shelly into the dingy then dropped overboard transferring Shelly's body from the dingy to the boat? Possible? Plausible? Reasonable doubt?
Who's lying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom