Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps one of the lawyer types can answer something for me that might address one of Ken's last statements (i.e., "You probably don’t associate the Caribbean with cutting-edge CSI-like technology. Don't lose sight of the fact that BVI didn’t go after David until after the civil case was decided and they thought, Maybe there's more to this after all.")

I believe I was told at one point that the US had first jurisdiction to prosecute a criminal case against David following the civil trial if they chose to do so because both David and Shelley were US citizens. They declined to do so because they felt that they could not win it. It was only then that Renn Olen, the Tyres' attorney from the civil trial went down to the BVI's and convinced the Tortolan authorities to prosecute David. Even with the civil prosecution, Tortola did not intend to prosecute David until Renn Olen flew down there and launched a campaign to convince them to do so - offering them all of his evidence and witnesses from the civil trial.

The point I'm unclear on is whether the US really did have "first dibs" on prosecution....I know for sure that the rest is true.

I have to also admit that I usually come back from a dive vacation with multiple bruises - and at least half of the time, the smaller ones, I don't know how I got them. The bigger ones usually have a story.

Thank you K-girl - I was actually going to make a similar point. I come back from every dive trip, whether local (just for the day) or dive vacations with bruises that I usually cannot explain. They're on my arms, legs, whatever. Unlike K-girl, it's extremely rare for me to remember how I got them...and I'm not someone who typically bruises easily. But when you participate in a sport that includes large, heavy tanks and a lot of metal equipment, as well as moving around boats in the water and ascending ladders, banging into things and getting bruises is par for the course - at least for me.

With all the money that he supposedly killed for at stake he didn't show up for 2 days knowing he would receive a default judgment and lose the money. So much for motive.

You are suggesting that David didn't show up for the civil trial because "money wasn't important to him".

That is not at all what happened. David didn't show up at civil trial because his attorney was unable to represent him and ADVISED him not to show up because a loss by default and cancellation of the trial would be better than a loss following a trial in which he had no representation.

For a guy who "didn't care about the money" he sure cared about the almost $700k life insurance money that he spent within a few short years following his wife's death.

AD I truly feel you have completely lost the ability to be objective when considering the totality of the evidence. You may notice that although they don't say it, the most knowledgeable and prolific posters on this thread are offering the opinion (without actually saying it) that the most likely scenario is that David killed Shelley.

You are suggesting that David didn't show up for the civil trial because "money wasn't important to him".

That is not at all what happened. David didn't show up at civil trial because his attorney was unable to represent him and ADVISED him not to show up because a loss by default and cancellation of the trial would be better than a loss following a trial in which he had no representation.

For a guy who "didn't care about the money" he sure cared about the almost $700k life insurance money that he spent within a few short years following his wife's death.

AD I truly feel you have completely lost the ability to be objective when considering the totality of the evidence. You may notice that although they don't say it, the most knowledgeable and prolific posters on this thread are offering the opinion (without actually saying it) that the most likely scenario is that David killed Shelley.

If I found myself in his situation vs the civil trial I would have told the cancer patient to get well soon and have found myself a lawyer that would get me my money. I'd get me the most vicious land shark I could find and coach him on diving until he starting diving himself! I would not be sitting around watching the money disappear. That's me how about you?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

As this thread has long since drifted away from diving I have moved it to the non-diving forum

How exactly a thread that at its core involves a dive accident, and SAC rates as evidence of guilt or innocence is not "diving-related," I'm not sure. But hey - I'm not a mod.

How exactly a thread that at its core involves a dive accident, and SAC rates as evidence of guilt or innocence is not "diving-related," I'm not sure. But hey - I'm not a mod.
The discussion is about a court case and a crime, and evidence. It isn't an accident any more; it's a legal, not a diving discussion. Of course I'm sure we can spend a few hundred posts discussing the finer points of whether this is "diving related" or not... but that's not diving related either.
Anyway, it sure doesn't belong in A&I (a place to find causes, not to lay blame - all the likely causes and how to avoid them have been discussed ad nauseum, and the last couple of hundred posts here are all about laying blame), and really doesn't fit anywhere else either.
So here it is.
:)
Rick

If I found myself in his situation vs the civil trial I would have told the cancer patient to get well soon and have found myself a lawyer that would get me my money. I'd get me the most vicious land shark I could find and coach him on diving until he starting diving himself! I would not be sitting around watching the money disappear. That's me how about you?

I would have switched attorneys as soon as I realized my guy was not up to his game and battling a potentially fatal or at the very least debilitating condition.

I don't know that I would have told my attorney to "get well soon" because that's a meaningless statement. He'll get well soon if he receives proper treatment and his immune system is able to effectively deal with the cancer, not because I told him to.

Ken, I can't address every point, point by point as my right arm is back in a sling and typing is a project. I will however address two points,the home turf vs away location and motivation. If what you described happened in RI there's a better than even chance that a body would NOT be found at all. The currents and low visibility here in RI make recovery efforts very difficult. It would make more sense to commit such a crime here in RI. Add to that fact that Dave was a town councilman in his hometown therefore a member of the RI establishment which in this corrupt state affords one a certain amount of protection from prosecution, and it makes much more sense to do it here. I can assure everyone that Dave and Shelly were not vacation only divers. Dave's love of the ocean and diving is very much like mine. Dave's baptismal to diving was made in Newport, RI. He didn't dive anywhere except RI for 10 years that I know of. The money as motivation is HIGHLY uncharacteristic of Dave. All the time I've known Dave money has not been a motivating factor for him. I'm not dismissing it as impossible, just commenting that it is unlikely in this case. Seems that all of what you posted could have and should have been done in 1999. All the evidence that you used was available in 1999 the only thing that changed was a civil suit that Dave made very little effort to win. With all the money that he supposedly killed for at stake he didn't show up for 2 days knowing he would receive a default judgment and lose the money. So much for motive.

If-Dave-would-do-it-he-would-do-it-in-Rhode-Island-where-he-wouldn't-get-caught defense - The jury would not consider this argument because the fact is, she died in BVI and that is the case that is being brought before them. The prosecution can easily argue that commiting a crime in a foreign country with little experience with investigating murder, let alone scuba murder and where David has a chance to leave the country before an investigation is completed as a very attractive location to commit such a crime. They could also easily contend that committing such a crime on a "romantic getaway" would garner more sympathy for the defendant.

Money-as-motive - really? No motive? Receiving $680K and saving his dive shop is not motive? Money means little to Dave? He burned through that money in three years like it was nothing. Lavish vacations and keeping the love of his life going - his dive shop. The jury simply could not discount this obvious motive as easily as you. You know him personally and you can't believe that money means anything to him, the jury does not.

Ken - thank you for your analysis. Your description of Occam's Razor was indeed very interesting. I believe that when most people become a member of a jury, they take that charge very seriously. They are charged by the judge to be the "finders of fact," and in essence, "finders of truth." They are urged to determine what really happened. They may not be aware of the defined term of Occam's Razor, but I believe that when they get in that jury room, that is the principle that they eventually employ. First, they do it on a piece-by-piece basis as you so eloquently describe. They will look at every piece of evidence and determine its value and they will not set it aside and forget about it. In this case, the mask strap has meaning, the mask pins have meaning, the snorkel mouthpiece has meaning, the missing slate has meaning, the fin has meaning, the dive buddy system has meaning, Swain's shop and lifestyle has meaning, romantic desires have meaning and the money has meaning. Every piece of evidence must fit into a narrative to tell the complete story, and no piece can be left out.

And when the jury completes the narrative story for each side with all the pieces, that is when jury finds themselves able to determine a verdict. The side with the weaker case will try to prevent a completed narrative story and focus only on small pieces and try to ignore the other pieces. The side with the stronger case will do everything they can to complete the narrative story for the jury that includes all the pieces to illustrate the realistic differences between the two stories. You will notice that is exactly what the prosecution did when they cross-examined Swain. They brought-up each piece of the story and forced David to deny, deny, deny, but there was no explanation from him. They got him in such a mode of denial, there were some things he didn't need to deny, but he denied them anyway. But what they achieved with their cross-examination was the narrative story with all the pieces included. Nice, short and succinct because all they got from David was denial.

Ken - you believe that the evidence shows "staging" of the fin and the mask. However, this really is the more complex story for the jury to understand. If they are to accept "staging" then they have to understand the mind of Swain and ask themselves "why." A difficult thing to understand and would require some explanation of a psychologist. I would have to agree with the prosecution's approach that the evidence shows a struggle between two human beings. It basically accomplishes the same thing as David being responsible for what happened to all the equipment and is a simpler argument for the jury to understand. When they look at the mask strap, the pin and the snorkel mouthpiece, it is a profound moment for them, they see struggle, a far more compelling and emotional response from the jury. However, I think that if David were to get a second bite at the apple, the prosecution may need to argue "staging" of the fin.

I think that the simplest explanation for the moment of drowning is that David first jerked the mask off of Shelley's face, a struggle for the mask ensued and then he jerked the reg out of her mouth and she drowned. I agree that it was not necessary for him to turn her air off, far more time-consuming and more difficult. If he went for the reg first, there is always the possibility that she could see him, or feel him behind her, kick him and swim away from him. Every diver knows it is far more stressful to lose your mask than to lose your reg. In addition, if he went for the mask first, it would be difficult, if not impossible for her to see that it was him attacking her and it may have been important to him that she not know it was him attacking her.

In this case, it really is the defense who has the weaker case and must keep the narrative from being completed with all the pieces. They had to focus on trying to poke holes at the prosecution's pieces and ignore the rest and hope that the jury forgets about it. Pieces for attack by the defense would include the prosecution's calculation of air usage to try and prove that David was a liar and was with Shelley at the time she died. The police's ineptness at understanding the difference between a reg and a snorkel mouthpiece. The mystery of the fin could serve as a distraction to keep the jury's attention away from the other evidence. All the other prosecution's evidence such as the mask strap, pin, snorkel mouthpiece, missing slate, diving around a confined but deep dive site for more than 20 minutes never looking for Shelley, never seeing Shelley, not seeing the fin near the mooring line that he ascends, stopping of CPR, slowing down of calls for help, desire for another woman, inevitable loss of dive shop, financial woes and the gain of a large financial sum which is spent extravagantly and quickly - all these are difficult for the defense to take a position of strength. They can only try to defend, try to explain or ignore. They can possibly explain the mask strap and pin with panic, but not the snorkel mouthpiece or missing slate. This ultimately gives them the weaker case because once you start having to explain away or ask the jury to ignore so many things, the harder it is to win.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom