• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diver buddy pinger

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by mikerault, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Lone Frogman

Lone Frogman Amphibious ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Here it is. http://www.desertstar.com/newsite/sport/sportscout.html You can buy it at http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/DTSC.html its a good to find your way back to some thing. Maybe two divers and two beacons, that way you could find your buddy and they could find you. I dive with Mike sometimes and some of the viz is very low. You can spend a lot of time going back up surface to find your buddy. With Mike's idea you just go to the becon he's carrying or your buddy can return the beacon you are carrying.

2. finadict

finadict Garibaldi

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If it was under $200.00 I would buy a set....

3. Lone Frogman

Lone Frogman Amphibious ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Me too.

4. ArcticDiver

ArcticDiver Solo Diver

Thanks for the info.

Not sure how workable the light system is. Looks pretty awkward. But no matter; it fails the Reasonable Price criteria.

5. mikerault

mikerault Photographer

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Actaully I have the sport system already and find it very limited, having two would confuse the signals. They aren't digitally encoded just a flat pulse that the receiver hears. Great for a directional beacon to get you home to the boat or buoy, but not much good for intradiver work.

Mike

6. www.freedomfilm.com

www.freedomfilm.com Nassau Grouper

Anything that makes divers safer in an environment where the conditions and variables cannot be totally controlled is a good idea Mike. Alot of people might say that it is a technique problem or whatever, but the fact is if everyone who has lost someone to an accident, lost child, or missing hiker etc. could put one of these on after the fact... They would in an instant.
    Keep safe people... And help keep others safe.

7. Mike Harmon

Mike Harmon Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hi Group,

I was just talking to my wife this morning about a very similar gadget. I'm a brand-new newbie (not even certified yet), but I can see the advantage of a VERY simple device to get your buddy's attention. I'm not talking about computers or telemetry, I'm just talking about a little noisemaker on a keychain that makes a noise you can hear underwater. It seems to me that a slate or hand signals aren't much good if your buddy isn't looking at you. The purpose of my version of the "pinger" is just to get your buddy to look at you so you can give him a signal. Does this make any sense?

Mike

8. Hickdive

Hickdive Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  9. mikerault

mikerault Photographer

Nope, didn't know about the contest, but it is a great idea.

10. Toolbox-13

Toolbox-13 Instructor, Scuba

LMAO....:)