Diver buddy pinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The longer the range the more expensive and the faster the battery drain. I was anticipating maybe a hundred yards (for the emergency pinger) and 50 for normal operations.

Mike

The price was just a SWAG looking at similar devices (simple active ping with the diver carrying a receiver) that run about 250 USD for a pair. These would need a bit more engineering and have more functionality so a bit higher cost.

Mike

I think it's a great idea. I would pay $500 to know that my buddy will be there for me if I need him. Only problem I see from business perspective is the advance of underwater communication systems. I guess in couple of years you'll be able to buy one (two diver unit) for $1K-$2K.
My buddy and I have underwater audible signaling device. It works well, problem is you don't know where sound is coming from.
Just do your estimates, see what your bottom line would be, I think there are always going to be few hundred people willing to spend $500 for an extra safety feature.

MikeM_scuba:
I would pay $500 to know that my buddy will be there for me if I need him.
Me too. LINK

:wink: Someone had to say it. :D

Bingo.

The solution to wandering buddies is not technical and does not cost $500.

The solution to wandering buddies is learning not to lose your buddy.

It might require some discipline, but it doesn't need batteries, wear out, or get confiscated going through security at airports.

:wink:

P.S. Think about it. A football field is 100 yards long. If your buddy is 50 yards away - or any distance further away than they can swim in the number of seconds you can go without breathing - whether they receive a signal that you are in trouble or not is sort of irrelevant. At that distance there is nothing they could do about it anyway.

A buddy is either in reasonably constant/on-demand communication with you, and able to respond quickly with hands-on assistance, or else you may as well be diving alone.

Well, for those with perfect skills and perfect buddies, congratulations, you of course will not ever require a device such as this, but for the non-elite amoung us I thought it might help solve a problem and provide a higher degree of safety.

I agree a buddy should not be 50 yards away, but even when striving to maintain contact with a buddy in low visibility conditions it can be quite easy to lose them. I know because it has happened to me several times even when both buddies were doing everything they could (short of holding hands) to stay together.

In water with less than 5 foot of visibility it can be easy to get 10 foot away and then you might as well be 100 yards away. I don't mean for this to replace skills only to make diving safer for those who can't practice every weekend.

Mike

Mike, I'm not dogging your skills or your intentions, and sorry if it came across that way.

But you've obviously had some experience in low vis conditions, per your post:

mikerault:
..."even when striving to maintain contact with a buddy in low visibility conditions it can be quite easy to lose them. I know because it has happened to me several times even when both buddies were doing everything they could (short of holding hands) to stay together...In water with less than 5 foot of visibility it can be easy to get 10 foot away and then you might as well be 100 yards away"
This is why in cave courses students are taught to follow the line out in touch contact should the visibility be silted out, and to "spell" hand signals into each other's palms or use "shoves & tugs" via touch contact to communicate.

Using your own scenario from your quote, suppose you and your buddy are separated from one another in a silted out section of Lake Lanier, and he uses a device like this to signal you he's in trouble.

Which direction do you start swimming to get to him?

If you even had full face masks with radio communications, the conversation would go something like this:

HIM: "Help, I'm stuck under something and low on gas"

YOU: "Where are you?"

HIM: "Last I knew about 15'-20' from you"

YOU: "In which direction?"

HIM: "I was behind you over by the rock, not sure of the compass heading, where are you now?"

YOU: "Dunno, can't see. Not sure which direction is now "behind me" from a few minutes ago"...

[and you get the idea]

My skills are a long way from perfect and I need all the practice that I can get. But for the diving I do, one of the fundamental things I've learned is that if I have a buddy I stay within communications/visual range of that buddy constantly, and as the vis gets poorer that distance diminishes to the point of touch contact (and by then we've thumbed the dive).

I'm not dogging your intent, heck I'm all about safety.

It's just that in my experience when emergencies happen they tend to happen suddenly, things go downhill fast, and if your buddy can't find you due to proximity issues and/or low visibility, then an electronic signal that you are in distress is not likely to speed up your buddy's locating you in time to make a rescue.

mikerault:
"I don't mean for this to replace skills only to make diving safer for those who can't practice every weekend."
I understand what you mean, I think, it's just that we come at it from two different directions. IMHO, the divers should slow things down and work with each other so that they stay together regardless of how slow that makes them, rather than losing one another.

But that's simply my opinion. Heck, go build the thing! :D

You'll probably be sitting out on the deck of your yacht retired while I'm still slaving away and eating fried catfood! :wink:

Ok, a case in point, buddy and I in 5-10 feet vis descending to the thermocline where viz opens up to 20 feet. I look at my computer to gage descent rate, I look back to my buddy aqnd guess what...no buddy visible...continued to thermocline, looked for about 30 seconds and found him, however, on other occasions had to surface and sync back up. With the dive pinger could have got direction and we wouldn't need to surface to sync back up.

Out of air is only one of a dozen possible scenarios that can occur, entrapment, medical issues, injuries any of it can result in a need for your buddy. Believe me it can only take a few seconds for you to lose your buddy, even when you do everything correctly in low viz. Shot, something as simple as mask flood/fogging can get you out of sync just long enough.

Mike

I think it would be a great idea in low vis.
Rescue divers,
Recreation divers like me a simple shaker keeps my two buddies focused.
I dive in pretty good vis usually

Back
Top Bottom