Diver buddy pinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am toying with the idea of a mated set of diver locator bracelets about the size and configuration of the Cochran Commander series of dive computers that would allow you to "ping" your dive buddy and the bracelet would then alert you audibly an with a vibration to let you know your buddy needs you. It would also incorporate a screen that would show relative locaiton and distance from your buddy if they were in the detector scan area, or indicate they were behind you if not. There would be a general "Where are you" ping and a "Get the heck over here I'm being eaten" alert that would stay activated until turned off.

I figure the devices would be sold in pairs for around $500-1000 USD. They could also sync up with 4 other units to allow gouping (maybe more, 4 is just an initial requirement).

I've read so many posts about lost buddies, buddies not paying attention and (shudder) buddies wanting to rock to Van Halen when they should be paying attention. This idea is in response to that.

Would there be interest out there?

I figure a single sonar transponder (transmitter/receiver) and a receiver (two receivers allows calculation of bearing and distance) along with the control circuitry and display and driver. SInce we aren't looking to transmit thousands of yards (maybe a range of 50-100) then it should be doable in the form factor described.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Mike

Mike, I don't think divers would spend $500-$1000 for such a device, not to mention that is a device to solve a technique problem with equipment. A lot of people won't spend $500 on their regulator.

Ah, but don't forget the gadget factor...

Sometimes something can come up in less than 10-20 seconds if you only check your buddy every 45 seconds even, that is too long. ALso in conditions of limited visibility it is easy to lose your buddy even when you are withing 10 feet of less of them (I know, its happened to me) a device that alerts your buddy and alllows at least a general "go that way" I would find useful.

Unfortunately not everyone is a perfect diver or a perfect dive buddy.

Mike

Interesting idea.

Here's another: 12 ft length of braided 300lb test line rigged with snap clips. Clip one end to your D-ring. Watch your buddy until they turn around, then clip the other end to an earring, or their dangling ummmm...octopus.

Under 10$, and once buddy technique has been optimized, presto! You can do without it. :eyebrow:

:lol::lol::lol:

mikerault-it's been a little over 9 hours since you have posted your idea. I am a little surprised that you haven't caught more flak. I would have figured the shooting would have come at you from all sides of the earth with this "Buddy Pinger" thing. Only one negative post, one DIY cheeper idea, and a few smileys......your on a roll.

It is just that I see both inexperienced and experienced divers compalining about losing their buddies at times, having to surface to find them, etc. seems like a good idea to me...

Mike

Hi,

I think it would be a good tool, and would likely purchase myself.

That said, in my view the single most valuable functions would be the buddy attention signal and the buddy proximity (or lack thereof) alarm. My buddy and I have quite good buddy skills, but sometimes (as noted) a problem arise in the seconds between checks. Additionally, it is sometimes challenging to get a buddy's attention from behind (especially in cold water hoods).

Detailed distance or direction readout is optional, and potentially the most expensive and longest development effort before delivery to market.

Despite any criticism that may ensue from the fact that properly skilled divers should not need such a safety device, I always believe the safty net is still a good thing. It's just as silly for skilled practictioners to skip additional safety support, as it is for idiots to use the additional safetey support instead of developing the skills ...

Cheers,
W

Good idea, way to much $$$$$. Frankly I'm a bit surprised that computer makes have not come up with something like this for people who buddy all the time, like a husband and wife. What would be the range of these bracelets?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom