Divemaster Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how are tips (in the tip jar) usually split between the crew?

lets say there are three crew: one captain and one mate, plus a dive master who is there for just some of the passengers who are students.

I would assume the DM who isn't assisting everyone would get part of the "tip jar".

what about the rest? does it all go to the first mate, or does the captain have a split of it?

what about if the captain is an owner? (like asked above)

I drove dive and passenger vessels in Hawaii for a lotta years - I never got tipped. I was paid pretty well - way more than the divers or mates. Don't worry about tipping the captains UNLESS you feel like it.
When I worked the diver end of it, we never got tipped much either. But we were all paid. Some guys hustled for tips, but we had special words for guys like that. Some of the boats had prominent tip jars, but that seemd tacky.
When I ran my own business, my DM's were paid pretty well - plus it was all cash for them to make my accounting life easier. For some reason though, we were tipped unmercifully - it was never solicited, never expected, and I always made sure that the clients knew that they were horribly overpaying me, just to make sure that there was no mistake there. So that was ok.
When I got to Florida, I found that DMs were not paid - that they worked for tips. I still wonder about people doing this for free - a lot of them do free maintenance and repair work as well. So ya kinda have to tip them.
Don't get hung up on the amounts. Tip the DM if you feel like it unless they pretty much do nothing onboard except dive and you don't feel like tipping them. If you need help with a quick repair, a dive guide, help with your pricey camera gear, you better slot that person some extra shekels for the service(s).
If there's a DM onboard to meet the USCG crew requirement for an inspected vessel, then that person should be getting some upfront dough from the owners. This unpaid DM stuff is a long Florida tradition, and I still shake my head at the wonders of voluntary involuntary servitude.
But there seems to be a neverending number of people wanting to work in the glamorous world of professional dving in southern Florida.

I didn't call you a mooch, I pointed out that you were very condescending to those who choose to tip more than you do. Rather than being defensive perhaps you should read your posts again and realize why some of us took offense.

reading comprehension isn't everyones strong suit . . .

I usually tip five dollars per head (divemaster, captain, a regular boat hand). I'm a divemaster myself. If I were doing boat work and received five from each customer I'd be happy.
I tip always-- even when I'm working as a divemaster with a class off a charter boat for which I don't get paid or tipped for. :)

Talk about reading comprehension ladies, where did I ever project what I said about being called a mooch to ONESPEED? I was just addressing whomever the fool was that took the jab.

Someone get their feelings hurt when I voiced my "condescending" opinion about tipping $40 for a $55 trip. Give me a break.

Name calling now that's a good tactic...

Btw who ever said any of my comments were directed at anyone but Chip? :hm: maybe u do have a reading comprehension problem...
Posted via Mobile Device

Give it up, my screen name is "the gooch" and you just happen to say "someones name should be mooch" ---I am sure it is just a coincidence.

Whatever, I am done.

Talk about reading comprehension ladies, where did I ever project what I said about being called a mooch to ONESPEED? I was just addressing whomever the fool was that took the jab.

Someone get their feelings hurt when I voiced my "condescending" opinion about tipping $40 for a $55 trip. Give me a break.

Shoot me a PM if you need any help with the big words....

how_to_win_friends_and_influence_people.jpg

Give it up, my screen name is "the gooch" and you just happen to say "someones name should be mooch" ---I am sure it is just a coincidence.

Whatever, I am done.

Sure you are.:popcorn:

When the wife and I dive down south normally do about 10 boat dives we put 5 to 10 bucks in the tip jar depending on how well the divemaster was, based on some of the answers I have sen here I guess that makes us pretty cheap.

When the wife and I dive down south normally do about 10 boat dives we put 5 to 10 bucks in the tip jar depending on how well the divemaster was, based on some of the answers I have sen here I guess that makes us pretty cheap.

Not cheap, everyone has a different "style" or reason for tipping the way they do. I like to be a good tipper, when it is deserved, I am not going to give some douchetard 20 bucks just for tying us into the wreck. Conversely[SP] if they do a above par job from the time we leave the dock, I am all for rewarding them.

Not to mention, if I forget to bring cash one time, I dont/wont feel bad if I say "hey guys thanks for the great job today, I will take care of you next time because I didn't remember to grab cash this AM" or whatever the excuse may be.

If this makes zero sense blame the boat CPT, CPT Morgan....

Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom