Divemaster Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sh@rkW@tcher

supreme yak diver in charge
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What is the general concensus on the appropriate tipping amount for Divemasters? To make this a bit simpler, lets divide this into tipping for standard DM services (safety/site briefing, gear setup&breakdown, surface monotoring) and tipping for in-water/guide Divemasters. Should the tip be flat rate or percentage of the charter fee? Since there are a number of working DMs on the board I'm sure there are a variety of opinions that will vary from different areas. Let's assume you are happy with the DM and intend on tipping (not a cheap b@st@rd).

I usually tip a standard $20 for a two-tank dive. Given that I only pay $50 for my day on the boat (with local discount), I figure a 40% tip is pretty generous, and certainly more than I used to get from customers when I was a DM.

I tip $20 for a 2-tank trip. With or without in-water guide.

Tip the Divemaster over the side of the boat if he does not do a good job! Sorry!

I guess you didn't understand the question...This was assuming you though the DM did a good job and deserved a tip.

I tip $5 - $10 per two-tank trip, depending on service (usually $10, rarely $5). If I'm running a trip or have students, I encourage them to all do the same (I mention this in advance, so they can have the cash on them!)...PLUS I tip at least $20 in those cases. A good divemaster/boat crew is worth their weight in Florida Spiny Lobster!

I usually tip $5 per tank.

I should qualify this though. If I am on a boat that I don't know that well I may tip more as I always have my housed camera with me. I always make sure they know how to handle it, and not to put it in the camera rinse bucket. I always provide my own camera bin. If they take care of me, I take care of them.

I usually dive off of the same couple of boats, and the crews all know me, and know how to deal with my camera. I usually only tip $5 per tank on those boats, but I usually end up helping the crew. I sling tanks, help getting divers on the boat if the crew is stressed, work as a guide, and sometimes hook into the wrecks for them.

On a bigger boat 12+ divers $5 per tank is pretty standard and that's what I tip... if you get additional help not offered during the briefing for example you may opt to give more.

On a six-pack (if they happen to have a DM) I would do $10 per tank. If it's just the capt. I may or may not tip. (Since you asked in this forum I assume this is for local charters not abroad)

I think that it really depends on how much help you actually need from the crew. If you just need a ride to and from the water there's not much service involved there; however, if your dives are enhanced because of their help your gratitude should reflect the tip. And it doesn't always have to be money. At times, I have given or shared my catch with the DM.

On a side note, I really appreciate a sincere thank you and repeat business from a costumer even if their tips are not the biggest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom