Divemaster - Time to complete and commitment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi i am currently doing the dm course and i have learnt alot by taking the time and working with a few instructors and i am enjoying it but i wouldnt rush it and the instructors tell me that there is no real rush and that makes it easier becouse of work and so on

hope all goes well and you have as much fun as i am having

chears phil

I was at the pool and I tried out breathing every stroke and every two strokes.
I do not feel comfortable with that and the overall movement is quite messy.
Breathing every to strokes works fine.
I am a bit slower but I breath much ofter and avoid air debt.
So I tried a couple of leaps breathing every three strokes alternating with a couple of leaps breathing every two strokes,
I am about one minute faster.

This week I was not lucky with the coach, but I will try to get one next week.

I talked with my local dive center on Saturday about possibly doing the DM course. They're fine with me doing it during weekends only and said the program can be spread over a full year to make sure all aspects get covered thoroughly.
So I might start in the Fall :)

Yep!
I am half way to complete my divemaster course.
I think padi changed the theory part, now there are only two parts with 60 questions each, very few physics, a bit of physiology and a lot of other easy questions.
I also did the swim and got a respectful 3 points, which is not great, but more than I expected from myself.
I led a couple of dives and with great surprise to myself I was able to bring people back to the exit point avoiding myself the pain of a surface swim.

The rescue scenario, the equipment exchange and the snorkel swim are still in the todo list, with a bit of luck I will be able to complete in a few weekends.

Congratulations!

When you're done you can join the ranks of folks that work in the dive professional community executing highly demanding jobs such as repairing holes in the pool liner.

That's what I'll be doing today.

"Like" If you understand what a DM really does most of the time :D

Most of my DM duties involved helping my instructor move...twice, house sitting with his two sock-eating dogs and helping with OW classes for two years. After a year of working on the occasional boat trip I gave up my DM position and returned to diving for fun. I'm much happier.

I cannot tellabout divemastering, I still have to complete my certification, but by now it makes fun.
I do nt even know if I will work as divemaster.
By now I helped with the logistic I led some dive, I assisted with open water and with advanced courses and made some dsd under supervision of an instructor. hope it will be more or less the same in the future.

Anyway, the dm certificationis just a required step to to get certified as course director :p

i will keep you up to date.

Divemaster completed!!!

Actually quite a few time ago and I have to say that it was a very nice experience.
I am happy that it took longer then the two weeks I was planning.
In the end Divemastering is a lot of fun and a small bit of frustration.
I am sorry for all of whom are disappointed with their experience and

--- MANY THANKS TO ALL SCUBABOARDERS ---

for their support and all their precious tips.
I am not sure it would have been so easy to anticipate the training and enjoy it so much.

Next step is the instructor training :D

Probably next year...

Last edited:
I think padi changed the theory part, now there are only two parts with 60 questions each, very few physics, a bit of physiology and a lot of other easy questions.
Resurrecting this thread since I just took the DM theory exam yesterday and had practiced some older DM exams plus an instructor exam. Was quite surprised to see how much they removed and how much easier the current exam is. Anyway, I'm moving on to the more challenging parts now! :D

Resurrecting this thread since I just took the DM theory exam yesterday and had practiced some older DM exams plus an instructor exam. Was quite surprised to see how much they removed and how much easier the current exam is. Anyway, I'm moving on to the more challenging parts now! :D

I agree with you. In 2010 PAdI made a pretty deep restyling of the DM, simplified the exam and moved most part of the hot stuff to the instructor exam.

Good luck with your DM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom