Divemaster - Time to complete and commitment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ttew

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi folks,

It is a while that I am thinking about making a divemaster certification.
Before starting I am evaluating the time requirements and the effort required to do things properly.
I have about two weeks in summer for my internship and some time to prepare for the theory.

I made some comparisons and evaluated the offers on different websites/resorts and got more confused.
Now I have a lot of questions and hope someone with direct experience can help me understanding.

- To what extent is the eLearning feasible, how long does it take to get fit for the test?
- how much effort it requires to pass the test
- Is it possible to download mock exams to practice before going live

- Some resort requires 2-3 months internship while other only two weeks, why such a big difference?

- Is it possible to split the course in 2-3 parts (e.g. theory, internship 1, internship 2) over two summers.
I actually have limited time for diving for the next couple of years.

Thank you very much.

Assuming your'e talking about PADI DM.....The 2 week course is do-able if you're already an experienced diver. As an example, have you planned and executed dives independently of Divemasters or instructors, no problems putting up SMBs, navigating night dives, doing blue-water ascents, descents, can do all skills neutrally buoyant in shallow water- eg mask removal, equip removal, OOA

The 3-month 'internship' is often used to train up divers to a point where they're at the stage to dive independently (and have a DM certificate to prove it).

Theory for diving can be learned by yourself if you can ebay books such as Encyclopedia of Diving, and the associated Knowledge Workbook. There are plenty of publications out there which expand your general awareness of diving- I can think of Reg Savvy as an example there, or Deco for Divers and Diver Down.

Physical requirements can also be trained by yourself- there are threads recently about people training in pools for this.

Lastly, if you won't be diving much for a couple of years, use the money for diving. If someone for example came to me saying they want to eventually do a DM course, I'd be more than happy for them to dive solidly with me, get a debrief at the end of the day and pick up some tricks along the way. Following one person for a couple of weeks, making notes on what was good and bad is a really good idea IMO. Even better is to then switch to another instructor for another couple of weeks for comparison. I strongly recommend this option.

Working instructors usually have a free half hour or so at the end of the day so this is a good time to walk around the shops and try to have a chat.

Any of them that takes the time to talk to you about different options, rather than signing you straight up for the DM course, is probably an instructor that you should work with.

Last edited:
Why not wait until you have more dives and more time to dive?

I am assuming that you already have your rescue cert? Are you planning to try to do this for a living and become an instructor? Your status shows you have less than 100 dives. I recommend you wait until you have the time to comit. As previously stated, get the learning materials off Ebay and start studying. Get in the pool and get your swimming skills up to par. Two weeks can be done, but IMHO not as well as it should or could be. It's a lot to absorb and retain.

If you think a two week DM course will prepare you for life as a DM think again.

If you aren't going to be an active DM and carry insurance and work for a shop or charter don't even bother.

Go take something you will enjoy doing and spend money towards that. A professional rating only matters if you are going to use it as such.

Be honest with yourself.

Hi Supergaijin, Thank you very much for all the information.
@ Steve that's an option! By now I am still evaluating feasibility. btw I have 52 dives logged, I restarted logging them last yeas because old logs got lost somewhen in the movings, I hope I'll get to 60 before July.
@ RickyF: Yes, I do have a rescue, actually the situation is more complicated, but I am thinking about making it my pre retirement profession.

I am a passionated fun diver and I started diving in the 90s.
More recently I am thinking about a kind of half retirement, once the big issues are settled (mortgage, kids at university etc.) and my economical needs are lower, I would like to reduce/quit office work and switch to professional diving. I am considering it on a time span of let say 10 years.

I am still in the feasibility phase to evaluate to what extent it makes sense and how to put things together.
In my vision I start from fun diver and have course director at the end of the path.
There is no need to get there but I like to have it in position at least as long as I am speculating and making plans.

When my idea was still in its early phase I spoke to some professionals and they recommended me to make the DM when I am still "young", because while life experience can compensate for leadership, interpersonal skills, learning, teaching etc. the DM requires the most stamina and physical effort.

Once I have the certification I can make arrangements with local / holiday resorts to divemaster for fun and gain experience toward the instructor certification or simply put put the certification in a drawer and fun dive till I will have time to go on to the next level (keep active status should be 1-300 pounds depending on the insurance, still have to figure out if I need one when not practicing, but not a huge effort ). Once I have the instructor I can start the switch, as spare time occupation till things take off or depending on world in 5-10 years.

So I am trying to figure out if I can get my certification with a few hours study time in the evening, 1-2 weekends a month and 2 weeks holiday in July. I found some dive resorts and they state two weeks are enough to get the certification, if I get there with all the theory done. Looking around the internet I found other resorts offering the DM with 2-3 months internship, so I was a bit confused and scared about the 1-2 months difference I imputed to the theory.
Probably two weeks will be enough to get the cert and then I will have to learn again and make enough experience.

Following your advice I found a study guide on the board,
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/going-pro/198155-padi-divemaster-exam-study-guide.html
it is 5 years old, can you recommend some adaptation to the newest standards?

I am thinking about buying the books or the crewpack and have most stuff done, when I feel comfortable with my preparation I can decide if I will start the program this year or wait till next summer. My concern is because I need to complete the program in one year and I do not have other holiday till next year if I cannot complete on time.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion.

Hi Supergaijin, Thank you very much for all the information.
@ Steve that's an option! By now I am still evaluating feasibility. btw I have 52 dives logged, I restarted logging them last yeas because old logs got lost somewhen in the movings, I hope I'll get to 60 before July.
@ RickyF: Yes, I do have a rescue, actually the situation is more complicated, but I am thinking about making it my pre retirement profession.

I am a passionated fun diver and I started diving in the 90s.
More recently I am thinking about a kind of half retirement, once the big issues are settled (mortgage, kids at university etc.) and my economical needs are lower, I would like to reduce/quit office work and switch to professional diving. I am considering it on a time span of let say 10 years.

I am still in the feasibility phase to evaluate to what extent it makes sense and how to put things together.
In my vision I start from fun diver and have course director at the end of the path.
There is no need to get there but I like to have it in position at least as long as I am speculating and making plans.

When my idea was still in its early phase I spoke to some professionals and they recommended me to make the DM when I am still "young", because while life experience can compensate for leadership, interpersonal skills, learning, teaching etc. the DM requires the most stamina and physical effort.

Once I have the certification I can make arrangements with local / holiday resorts to divemaster for fun and gain experience toward the instructor certification or simply put put the certification in a drawer and fun dive till I will have time to go on to the next level (keep active status should be 1-300 pounds depending on the insurance, still have to figure out if I need one when not practicing, but not a huge effort ). Once I have the instructor I can start the switch, as spare time occupation till things take off or depending on world in 5-10 years.

Not in my experience. You need to build a relationship with the people you want to work for.

So I am trying to figure out if I can get my certification with a few hours study time in the evening, 1-2 weekends a month and 2 weeks holiday in July. I found some dive resorts and they state two weeks are enough to get the certification, if I get there with all the theory done. Looking around the internet I found other resorts offering the DM with 2-3 months internship, so I was a bit confused and scared about the 1-2 months difference I imputed to the theory.
Probably two weeks will be enough to get the cert and then I will have to learn again and make enough experience.

Following your advice I found a study guide on the board,
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/going-pro/198155-padi-divemaster-exam-study-guide.html
it is 5 years old, can you recommend some adaptation to the newest standards?

I am thinking about buying the books or the crewpack and have most stuff done, when I feel comfortable with my preparation I can decide if I will start the program this year or wait till next summer. My concern is because I need to complete the program in one year and I do not have other holiday till next year if I cannot complete on time.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion.

You can get a certification. It won't mean a whole lot to those looking for quality DM's but you may be able to pick up a gig lugging tanks.

Zero to hero abounds.

The 2 week divemaster program is typical of places where divemasters are experienced divers already and familiar with the classes. Such as for example someone who goes out diving under the class flags at open water gatherings alot and is familiar with the expectations of the dive center they will work for. I dont really believe this is so much a reality any more as they have placed a lot more emphasis (so I am told) on open water skills that it can prove difficult to be able to complete all the requirements in one open water session.

Now with Internships these are most often used in places where Divemasters do far more then simply help teach a class. They have to learn how to be a good teacher (To assist with classes) plus learn the ropes of the many different dive areas an OP may use and the conditions often associated with them. They have to learn how to be good with accountability of divers and how to assist the many different divers they will come across. From the standard run of the mill diver to the young divers or older generation who may need a little more time to prepare for a dive. There will be situations where handicapped people go diving and one must learn how to work with them and meet their needs or if the handicap is simply out of their ability (Such as paralyzed divers who do not have use of the waste down) and no lift devices or any way to safely get these guys in and out of the water. (Believe it or not though not common there are divers like this who use fin gloves for diving)

Internships are like anything else and they start out as you watch me and how I do things and progress to where you do things and I will watch and see how well you do them.

I think really your anticipation of the course is well deserved as it is made to be somewhat of a challenge but its not overly challenging. Just relax and take your time. Its not a sink or swim course its one that is able to be tailored to however much time you need (Unless its years.) so get your materials and go over them. Ask questions and learn things. Youll be glad you did! When your ready then go for it and keep us posted!

Good luck

Assuming your'e talking about PADI DM.....The 2 week course is do-able if you're already an experienced diver. As an example, have you planned and executed dives independently of Divemasters or instructors, no problems putting up SMBs, navigating night dives, doing blue-water ascents, descents, can do all skills neutrally buoyant in shallow water- eg mask removal, equip removal,
OOA

The 3-month 'internship' is often used to train up divers to a point where they're at the stage to dive independently (and have a DM certificate to prove it).

Theory for diving can be learned by yourself if you can ebay books such as Encyclopedia of Diving, and the associated Knowledge Workbook. There are plenty of publications out there which expand your general awareness of diving- I can think of Reg Savvy as an example there, or Deco for Divers and Diver Down.

Physical requirements can also be trained by yourself- there are threads recently about people training in pools for this.

Lastly, if you won't be diving much for a couple of years, use the money for diving. If someone for example came to me saying they want to eventually do a DM course, I'd be more than happy for them to dive solidly with me, get a debrief at the end of the day and pick up some tricks along the way. Following one person for a couple of weeks, making notes on what was good and bad is a really good idea IMO. Even better is to then switch to another instructor for another couple of weeks for comparison. I strongly recommend this option.

Working instructors usually have a free half hour or so at the end of the day so this is a good time to walk around the shops and try to have a chat.

Any of them that takes the time to talk to you about different options, rather than signing you straight up for the DM course, is probably an instructor that you should work with.

Your lack of time implies you have a job ... so why the desire to be a DM ?

Back
Top Bottom