Divemaster in Training....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jester:
You need to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons because you're certainly not going to make a lot of money at it. ...

I can understand that. I have talke with a few instructors and the owner of my LDS. From talking with them, I can't see how anyone can make a living as a diving Pro unless they are working in a resort location. Personally, I love to teach. I have taught several difernt subjects and love the reward I get when I see one of my students succeed, especially on of the ones that struggled in the beginning.

I started diving and was rather aprehensive of it. I actually didn't have any asperations of progressing past AOW, but somewhere along the way I really got hooked. I really can't think of anything more rewarding than to help someone find the joy and excitement that I have already gotten from diving. If I can make enough to pay for the expense of being pro, I will be happy.

Moostang:
I'd like to hear about some of yall's personal experiences during training that yall have been through for any certification that might be amusing, entertaining, or just neat to hear about.

Hiya. I am about three quarters through my DM. Have done watermanship exercises, pool and OW sessions, mapping, gear exchange, 5 of 8 exams, rescue assessment. 3 more exams to do plus leading certified divers plus demonstrate skills.

It is really rewarding and I am learning lots in my internship. There is no substitute for real students. Also I am learning a lot from working with different instructors and from just being in the water a lot. My confidence has really grown. The mapping exercise is a lot of fun because you realise that you are performing a task while diving and that you are doing the diving bit automatically as you concentrate on taking depths and measurements etc. It is physically challenging, too, because you have to lift and lay a lot of equipment.

I am sure you will really enjoy it if you apply yourself and are committed to it. If there is anything specific you want to ask, fire away!

I have 3 test to do, and the 400 yard swim & gear exchange left. I very often donate my time to my instructor with his other classes, the experience is awesome. I really enjoy getting to know the students and seeing their excitement when they breathe underwater for the first time. My husband thinks it's a bit of an overkill sometimes when I pay f $50 for a boat ride then spend the two dives helping with the students. I'm just greatful my instructor allows me too..

DM ... oh what an experience. I think I can agree with most here. It makes you a better diver, its rewarding to help others, and you get to spend a TON of time in the water ... hehe ... excrutiantingly too much. by the 4th or 5th dive of the day (yes shallow) you definately appreciate the hood and fullsuit you are wearing :wink:.

Good luck with it. And get to like your instructor(s) ... you spend quite some time with them.

I just returned from another OW weekend on my way. 3rd instructor. Whoever said get with as many instructors as possible was right. I learn something new from each one.

While the others have been happy with me having students he's not working with "in-site" at all times, this one who's been around a long time was very specific about where he wanted me to be, which was in a hover right above the students with my hands out, ready to grab. Evidently, over the years, he's had some try to "bolt" on him. I really see the advantage to this position.

Yesterday I had a student I had been "buddied" with suddenly grab me and point strait down to his weight belt lying on the bottom. This was a fun one for me. A millisecond of "oh crap" followed by exhale deeply and grab his BC. Then a dump and "I sure hope I'm overweighted enough because it looks like 6 or 8 pounds on that belt".

Surprisingly I was able to keep him down, grab the belt and hand it to him while he replaced it flawlessly. Another lessson: they were right when they said I needed to be overweighted...

James

heheh overweighted ... and I thought my instructor was just being cruel :wink: ... but wait ... I think 15 pounds over is a bit cruel :wink:

Garyra:
This is a great idea Moostang, I am planning on starting my DM training in the near future and would really like to know what to expect.

There is definitely a "star" part to being a DM. Use it to pick up chicks but be humble towards the reality of the job. Working with the safety of others has more to do with honing skills, paying attention and planning ahead than being the toast of aquaworld.

Also there is a slave aspect to it, if you're doing the internship, no two ways about it ;0)There will be a lot of logistics and much carrying of heavy objects in the sun. Get things done right the first time or more than one instructor will have your head on a plate. It can be a tough industry if you don't keep logistics smooth.

What the course did for me was get me a lot of free dives and expand my understanding of diving as a whole, all the elements that go into it prior, during, after or in case of emergencies.

It also inspired me to constantly evaluate people, situations and conditions. Assuming responsibility for others really reflects back on your own diving habits and skills.

I found most of the exercises to be good fun, the work to be hard and the post-dive reading really tough even though i'd read most of the theory in advance. I was really glad I'd taken the time to get in shape before as well. Gives me an edge.

Overall I'd say you get more into the reasons why diving is executed the way it is and the "behind the scenes" of the theory in the earlier courses.

There's no way I'd consider myself an "educated diver" in a real commercial diver sense but I'm glad I did it. Diving becomes easier, safer and cheaper in so many ways, and alternative opportunities do present themselves. I'm going instructor now, because, having gotten this far, why not?

Enjoy

This is a great thread..I enjoyed reading it. I just finished my Naui TA a couple of weekends ago and started working on my DM. It was an eye opener leading the two diver tour during the checkout dives.....things happen fast..

I am looking forward to the "Snorkel Ditch and Don" :wink: I "almost" had the second time..haha..

Kenny

I found the 3 months of intense DM training both challenging and fun,,,,in the end very rewarding! I am lucker than most Pro's in Texas,,,I work as a pt staffer in an LDS in retail/service,,,and also DM all levels of classes. My DM studies are now paying off as I start my Tec Diver training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom