Divemaster in Training....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moostang

Reaction score
Hello all.

I signed up for DM training and was hoping I could start a decent thread about what DM training consists of and I'd like to hear about some of yall's personal experiences during training that yall have been through for any certification that might be amusing, entertaining, or just neat to hear about.

So far the best site I've found for describing best what DM training consists of is this one : http://home.hetnet.nl/~jelout/divemaster.html . Most of the other sites are really vague and just give small summarys.

Thanks,
Moostang

The DM candidate training will be what you and your instructor make it. Some of the skills are taxing, some fun. Working with and supervising students Effectively is the hardest and most worthwhile task you will have.

Also, when you actually get the card is when you start learning how, and what it is, to DM. Not during the class.

Good luck,

MD

Moostang:
Hello all.

I signed up for DM training and was hoping I could start a decent thread about what DM training consists of and I'd like to hear about some of yall's personal experiences during training that yall have been through for any certification that might be amusing, entertaining, or just neat to hear about.

So far the best site I've found for describing best what DM training consists of is this one : http://home.hetnet.nl/~jelout/divemaster.html . Most of the other sites are really vague and just give small summarys.

Thanks,
Moostang

This is a great idea Moostang, I am planning on starting my DM training in the near future and would really like to know what to expect.

I agree with MD. Your instructor is a very large part of how well you're trained. Study hard! The academics, especially the physics, are something you'll draw on with almost every class But it's the internship where you'll learn the most. The physical requirements are important but it's working with actual classes with other DM's where you'll learn the most....from both good and bad DM's... what NOT to do as well as what TO do.

It's also very helpful during this time to work with several different instructors. The dive shop I got my DM cert through had 4 instructors and i got to work with them all. Each were good instructors but had different methods of teaching and what they expected from their DM's. Some only wanted babysitters/safety divers. The good ones want your participation.

The best advice I can give you is not to rush into it or through it once you start. The more experience you have before will only make you a better DM. It's a huge responsibility but one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do.

You learn your DM role once you get your card. You just learn the tools to get there in class.

DM is self paced. In PADI, consists of several written exams, internship/supervisory work, demonstration of rescue proficiency, swim tests, skill assessments and demonstration, map making, making mistakes, and more.

It is a worthwhile experience. I can give you the analogy of grad school. You've gone through undergrad school, liked it, and want more experience, learning different skill sets, more challenge, and opportunity to expand your career. For grad school, figuring out what you want out of school and getting experience in your field is a smart approach. This gives you time to evaluate your goals, so this is the wait and get experience for a year or two approach vs. the jump into grad school directly from undergrad approach.

Moostang:
Well I'm part of the way through my DMC. I've taken 3 of the exams (4th is tonight). I've done about 8 of the demonstration skills and the tread. I've done 2 days of OW (2 more this weekend) and 2 days of confined. I've worked with 2 instructors so far with the 3rd this weekend.

I did my first OW weekend right after our first classroom session. Went down to the quarry with the instructor, a DM, myself and 7 students. On the first dive one of the students had an ear problem (he'd had an ear infection the week before but was cleared by the doctor). The DM wound up taking him to the doctor so I got to do the rest of the dives for the day myself, kindof a trial by fire. It was a lot of fun but a bit overwhelming for my first time.

I'd say the best part about the course so far is knowing you've helped someone. In the 4 sessions, so far I've:

Helped someone get down for an OW who was unable to clear her ears on the previous dive.
Helped someone who was having trouble with the half mask clear, who then went on to do the full clear and removal with no problems.
Helped someone who was having trouble with the hover. Afterwards I noticed her "practicing" and doing a great job.

So far it's been a fun and rewarding experience.

James

You need to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons because you're certainly not going to make a lot of money at it. I personally find it rewarding to see someone duck underwater for the first time and then develop into someone who loves being there.

Jester:
You need to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons because you're certainly not going to make a lot of money at it. I personally find it rewarding to see someone duck underwater for the first time and then develop into someone who loves being there.

I'm definately not doing it for the money hehe. I really just want the experience and I like to help people out.

Last Friday CSSP, I went out with my instructor and 2 students. We were doing their deep dive for advanced ow. He brought the first student into the hole that goes to 60 ft. Now, for all of you that have been down there, it's just plain ear numbingly cold. I was paired up with the other student and as soon as we hit that cold water below the second thermal he paniced and shot towards the surface. I was right next to him and as soon as i saw him i grabbed his leg to slow his acent and see that he was blowing out bubbles properly.

My instructor saw this and though I didnt think it was a big deal, he gave me a boost of confidence at the surface by saying Very Good job!

Made me feel really good to not only help a student and fellow diver without even thinking about it but also receiving praise from my instructor.

Moostang

MechDiver:
The DM candidate training will be what you and your instructor make it. Some of the skills are taxing, some fun. Working with and supervising students Effectively is the hardest and most worthwhile task you will have.

Also, when you actually get the card is when you start learning how, and what it is, to DM. Not during the class.

Good luck,

MD

I can probably find a list of the NAUI requirements, but I'd be a bit surprized if it's markedly different from what the others have noted.
I have fuzzy memory of a difficut test to make sure the Master SCUBA Diver requirements are met - then 3-4 pool days with markedly more challenging physical skills [450 yd swim, full bailout, etc..] - - Then the big one, I ended up assisting just about every instructor in the shop, throughout the summer and a nice assortment of classes. The DM test was also challenging, but not nearly so much as the ramdom student incident, sounds like you've had a good start!

Enjoy!

The gear swap was fun. TexasMike and I did that together.

I practiced for the swims because I knoew I was too out of shape to accomplish the 400 in a good time.

I think truely my hardest task was snorkle gear ditch and don. I don't think everyone does that one though.

I worked with multiple instructors. I had a written evaluation from each one. Good stuff. Lots of fun and time.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom