Dive without the Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zerovis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to find anyone who has dive in Europe particularly the Canaries or Mediterranean and managed to find a dive centre that will hire out tank and weights and leave you to do your own dive, I am not against going on one or two lead dives but I would like to be able to choose. If you can recommend a resort I would be gratefully.

thanks

I've never dived in Europe but I've dived in French territories like Martinique, Guadeloupe, Raiatea, Moorea and Bora Bora which all had French dive operators. In their system, all divers must dive with the DM. In your case, however, as an instructor yourself, maybe you'd fit into a loophole in the loi.

The loophole seems like a good idea but A few years ago i went to Spain's Costa Del Sol. after searching out a centre and producing my OWSI card with log book showing several recent dives in Ireland I was asked to do a review. I felt it was more about cash than safety as it was mentioned in the same breath as the min two dive pack and that will be €200 for me and my wife. so i left and went diving with the local Spanish FEDAS I Think. I have no problem supporting the local dive industry or tourism but I decided that from then on I will support the areas that support me otherwise I may as well not have a card.

Oh just found Malta, Gozo offer tank and weights only packages for those qith PADI AOW or equivalent , looks like the holiday could be set still interested in hearing about other locations.

French dive operators. In their system, all divers must dive with the DM. In your case, however, as an instructor yourself, maybe you'd fit into a loophole in the loi.
false.
CMAS divers can be autonomous depending on their level.
true, non-CMAS divers are differently accepted in the Centers.
A lot of centers have multiple certifications, and PADI-SSI divers can be autonomous.

I just dived on the Costa Brava (Spain) and you don't have to dive with a guide there. In fact, you have to pay extra for the guide.

Hi guys. I am based in Spain and there are a number of places you can do a dive without a DM. But you won't be able to dive without a buddy.... I can point you in a number of directions. Nic, where on the Costa Brava did you do that dive?

I just dived on the Costa Brava (Spain) and you don't have to dive with a guide there. In fact, you have to pay extra for the guide.

yep its that Pay extra that I don't need.me and my wife for 5 dives each with guide approx €300 or €300 for me and my wife with no Guide = 20 dives each, the way I see it the dive centre gets the same cash thereabouts maybe a bit more if I hire torches but i get 4 times the diving win win ,
add to that that now the DM and instructors who are a limited resource can concentrate on the people that need it most rather than bringing in large groups or loosing business, I am going in peak season and so they should be at max capacity as to the no of divers they can take into the water per dive.

By the way for anyone going to Malta there is a book by G Lemon called a guide to shore diving the Maltese Islands, the maps and descriptions are first rate and even have swim times and compass headings.

Hi guys. I am based in Spain and there are a number of places you can do a dive without a DM. But you won't be able to dive without a buddy.... I can point you in a number of directions. Nic, where on the Costa Brava did you do that dive?
Hey leapfrog - I dived from Estartit (Illas de Medes) with Unisub. Where are you based? Any other diving you can recommend in the area (once the water gets warmer!)?

Zerovis - the dive guide was only something like €6 per dive so even if you wanted one it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. Certainly wouldn't give you 5x the number of dives. Anyway, there don't seem to be 'mandatory dive guides' on the Costa Brava so this might be the place for you and it's not difficult to get to from Ireland either. When are you planning on going?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom