Dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my G-shock watch, its cheap and tells time and also is solar power :rofl3:

I'm just a newbie, and I'm scheduled to start the O/W class in 3 days, so I have NO experience in scuba at all, although I've been playing around with fins, mask and snorkel for 45+ years. I see all the ads and discussions about all the high-tech dive watches, and I know they are mostly built of stainless steel and/or titanium, with all kinds of bells and whistles.

However, I have a (newbie) question ... Why can't I use a simple, cheap watch like a Timex Ironman or Expedition watch for recreational (<60') diving? They say they're good to 100M, and the Expedition even has an electronic compass feature built in.

Once I get certified, and I'm sure that scuba is going to be a part of me for a long time, I'll probably get a Uwatec Smart-Z computer, but for the time being, I'd like to have a watch that I can keep track of bottom time with. Both watches have a chronograph/elapsed time feature, and the Expedition has the compass feature.

What do you experts think? Please don't flame me too badly. It's an honest question.

Mike

There's no reason why you can't use a regular watch to dive with. I've been diving many times with a cheap (<$20) Benrus Ultrasteel Analog watch that is only rated to 165'. I've had it down as far as 138' with no problems. It has no stop watch, chronograph, or other advanced features....

When you are ready to buy a dive watch, get one. Until then, don't stress over it!

Mike Harmon:
However, I have a (newbie) question ... Why can't I use a simple, cheap watch like a Timex Ironman or Expedition watch for recreational (<60') diving? They say they're good to 100M, and the Expedition even has an electronic compass feature built in.

no reason at all!

lots of people do that. i myself loved my Timex watch so much i literally went through four or five straps on it

if you can, buy a watch rated as deep as possible (100 M is bare minimum). also, be aware that sometimes pushing buttons underwater will cause the watch to fail so ... try not to push the buttons too much underwater

this is the one i've been using lately (as a backup timer to my computer), and i love it. have had it for over two years now, no problems:

http://www.st-moritz.com/pages/slk.php

i like it cause i can have the hour display on the bottom (telling me what time it is) and the chronograph display on the top (showing elapsed dive time)

Mike Harmon:
I'm just a newbie, and I'm scheduled to start the O/W class in 3 days, so I have NO experience in scuba at all, although I've been playing around with fins, mask and snorkel for 45+ years. I see all the ads and discussions about all the high-tech dive watches, and I know they are mostly built of stainless steel and/or titanium, with all kinds of bells and whistles.

Once I get certified, and I'm sure that scuba is going to be a part of me for a long time, I'll probably get a Uwatec Smart-Z computer, but for the time being, I'd like to have a watch that I can keep track of bottom time with. Both watches have a chronograph/elapsed time feature, and the Expedition has the compass feature.

What do you experts think? Please don't flame me too badly. It's an honest question.

Mike

As others have already pointed out, no reason.

However, what is mostly being discussed are dive computers that look like watches, or watches that have at least depth indication.

A lot of us use them for backup, just in case something fails. There are several casio's that will read depth, and have timers, and they also are commonly used (and a lot cheaper). The basic citizen dive watch that has been referenced in this thread has a depth indicator, and after the dive shows the maximum depth. Time of dive + maximum depth, and some tables and you are good to go, if your computer goes out.

Ive got a ton of Dive watches, because of them I dont think ill need a wrist computer. My latest watch is the Eco Zilla...its a big mans Diver :wink:

MattV_CitizenEcoZilla.jpg

Mike Harmon:

Mike
I often dive with my Casio G-Shock, and until I lost it, I used to dive with a Timex Ironman. Get the 200m watches, though, not the 100m. Even 100m seems way deeper than you'll ever go, but read the manual. They're not built for diving depths. People can (and do) get away with it, but why not just get the right one, considering how cheap they are?

Just don't confuse "dive watch" with "dive computer" because they are usually two separate things. (Although there are several exceptions listed in this thread)

Electronic compasses are fun, and can be handy to have, but I would invest in a regular compass for use as a primary navigation device.

I've got a couple as well, my favorites are (and actually dive with them) the Citizen Hyperland, as pictured above and my new toy the St. Moritz Nereos....now that is a sexy beyotch of a watch if I may say so :D

Nereos-g1.jpg

Is there an official GUE approved DIR watch or is a bottom timer the only official way to go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom