Dive watch? I like this one....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off topic a bit but these watches are good but thier customer service is horrific.

They are a quartz/battery drive watch. N

No doubt the Seadweller is a fine watch, and has absolutely everything I want. It's the price that is not manageable. Not now anyway.

What are they now $5800 or so?

Authorized dealer in St. Maarten last month had the Sea Dweller for $4900. My wife surprised me with the Submariner. October was a VERY good month!! I was surprised with the watch that I have lusted after for the past 20 years (since I was filling the tanks of the doctors, lawyers and plumbers sporting the Submariner and diving from the LDS I worked at) and during my first year as a Red Sox season ticket holder they win another World Series!!

Attachments

• Sub and Sox.jpg
    Sub and Sox.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 98
Rolex makes more or minder for now 30 years the same watshes,i realy dont like

them.Modern watshes in good kind an high prices made out off ultrastabel as

esay, newgeneration anti sonar as radar german submarinesteal;for

1000Meter deph are the Sinn.

1010-U1.JPG

E.L.7*

Narrowed it down further. Most likely going to pull the trigger on this one. Just need to save up some cash.

Found one that has all my specs covered. I decided against the orange dial because this yellow dial is SO much more easy to read for me. Something about the black outlines of the hands against that "yellow" background has very good contrast. I can read it in an instant.

ORIENT STAR

Orient Diver & Delaurian Strap = Perfect Combo! (Modem Burner) - Watchuseek Watch Forums

Check out the LUME!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o231/EsotericUIUC/IMG_0730.jpg

What say the experts?

Your original specifications are very similar to the Citizen Aqualand eco-drive that my wife bought me about five years ago. The band is metal, self charging, no digital screens, luminous dots and it has a depth feature for diving. The service is outstanding, it flooded about four months ago on a shallow dive and when I took it to my local jewler they sent it in and when it came back it had a new movement - free of charge! The warrenty expired a year ago!

My wife paid around $500 for the watch at one of those outlet stores so I know you can get them for less than the sugested retail price.

The link here is to a similar model, or possably the current model of the watch I have.

CITIZENWATCH.com | Welcome to Citizen Watches Online

I was very pleased with my Citizen Titanium Aquamaster. I sold it when I purchased an Aeris Epic. Kinda an ugly watch, but a GREAT dive computer that can do double duty.

I still have an old Citizen Titanium Crono watch that is rated to 200M, but I don't dive with that.

IMO, if you want a cool watch, get a cool watch. If you want a backup computer, get a backup computer! A dive watch that does not have a depth gauge IMO is not a very good backup unless you plan on calling the dive if the computer goes out. I guess some dive with an analog depth gauge, but I don't so....

I've always liked watches, and sometimes regret selling my Citizen. However it was not the best tool for the job. Also with my failing eye sight (DAMN YOU AGE!) I find like like the luminous Backlight.

If you want a really cool dive watch, I've always been envious of my buddies Omega. However it's such a nice watch, he does not use it for diving! :D

Here are a couple interesting quotes from a Forbes article:
Forbes:
Most dive watches never make it anywhere near the water, of course. "Most consumers like dive watches for their attributes, even if they don't understand what they are," says Andrew Block, a senior vice president at Tourneau, the international watch retailer.

There are basically two types of dive watches on the market: those with the attributes and those with the computers. The former are much more about style than function, produced by high-gloss watchmakers such as Rolex, Panerai, Breitling and Blancpain with basic features including water resistance, a unidirectional rotating bezel and brilliant luminescence. The latter, on the other hand, offer a world of sophisticated functions to help divers track their underwater status, such as water temperature and depth readings; separate gauges for timing the breathing mixture in one's tank; and various alarms to warn of timely doom. Details can often be downloaded from such dive watches onto a personal computer for later analysis or sharing online--if you really must.

I love the quote: "Timely Doom!" LOL!

That Orient Star is sweet and those watch nerds on the forum sure like it. :) How much can you get it for?

That Orient Star is sweet and those watch nerds on the forum sure like it. :) How much can you get it for?

Based on the currency conversions (I don't see this available in the US, but have not looked much) it's around $1200. That's a lot of money for a bare bones dive watch! :D

For those bucks, I'd buy something with more name recognition (Tag, Omega). It also says accurate to +15~-25 seconds per day... IMO for a $1000+ watch, that suxs!

That's a lot of money for a bare bones dive watch! :D

You're right about that, but bare bones are not the words I would use to describe this watch. Do you know the specs and how the prices stack up against other brands and models with the same specs?

The Orient Star 300M Diver is much more than meets the eye. For those who know what to look for and why also know it's well worth the money for the quality tool that it is. BTW I can get it for right at $1000. Used a bit less although not much less.

For those bucks, I'd buy something with more name recognition (Tag, Omega). It also says accurate to +15~-25 seconds per day... IMO for a $1000+ watch, that suxs!

Tag and Omega do not have the styling that I'm looking for and I'm not buying a watch for a "brand name". If I was I'd get a Rolex Limited Edition Submariner and call it a day. The two people I personally know with Rolex's wont wear them because they're too afraid of brusing them, or being robbed of them. Sounds like you know some of that type of person too.

I want a watch that I can wear every day for my lifetime and will stand up to my lifestyle.

FWIW the Orient Star brand name is VERY well respected in every part of the world but America. They don't import them here because (many) Americans wouldn't know craftftsmanship if it came up and bit them on the butt.

The accuracy specs are what they advertise for worst case scenarios. Most who own them say those figures are more likely per month, NOT per day. One person who I've been speaking to say's his runs +2 per day consistantly. It does that while being worn every day, shooting high powered rifles and smg's, diving to as deep as 160 fsw, golfing etc. I can live with that for a high quality auto that has the features this one does.

I can and will actually dive with the Orient Star as well wear daily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom