Dive timer or wrist computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristan.ak

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Oceanic wrist dive computer and I haven't used it as a computer but only as a timer. I like the tables and I like planning. It makes me feel very Jacque Cousteau sitting on the beach with the snow planning out a dive and writing down my plan on my slate. Now the dilemma, I have had to abort dives because my timer (computer) died at 65 feet or any depth over an extended amount of time. It was due to 28F water and batteries do not like it that cold, but I do.

I was looking that the Xen and that is a nice timer, but a little bit too much for my price range. I plan on going into tech diving, but that isn't going to happen until I reach Adv OW with rescue diver and well over 100 dives before I take the challenge. I have a tech gear setup since I knew I wanted to go into it and I enjoy it a lot, I just need to have more experience with poor vis, cold waters, different conditions, and more planning (I even do dry runs on planning when Im at work so that I have more experience).

My quest is there any other timers out there that would work in cold water? Or should I just save my change for a tech computer and go analog as a back up?

I have looked at the Predator, Xen, X1, and the scubapro line and others.

if you're using it as a timer only what's the issue with a standard dive watch. I use an analog watch rated to 500m as a backup and as it's doing one job with a battery that last for years I see no reason to spend $500 on a computer to do the exact same thing but I can't wear with a suit.

Get uwatec 330m it has everything needed including depth averaging. Worked for me down to 34f

The XEN is a fantastic bottom timer/depth gauge. The best part is the readability of the OLED screen. As far as dive planning goes: bottom time + avg depth < 120. Maybe 130 if on EANx.
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

if you're using it as a timer only what's the issue with a standard dive watch.
The issue with my standard dive watch is that it doesn't start itself at the beginning of the dive, as a bottom timer or computer does. I think this is an important feature, relieving the diver of one task at what is often the most task-loaded portion of the dive.

Back
Top Bottom