Dive the Oriskany with the Pensacola Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My note probably made it apear like I was challenging the price... Having done some diving out in NC, where a two tank dive is an all day event, looking at the boats they run, and this boat, I'm more concerned w/ the boat and the possibility of such a long ride. Pics on the website don't give a good feel for space available after loading up w/ 6 divers worth of gear for such a dive (doubles&stages)

Wow so many questions,
I'm sure people will get bent left and right, some will die then they will realize to put it shallower next time. there ar eover 20 of these massive ships slated to become artificial reefs.

TekDiveGirl,
advanced cert and nitrox would be ideal. I'll probably have to go my amount of dives and deepest dive in their log book, but I prefer not to, too easy to gundeck the logs. I am an instructor, so I can take divers down who aren't nitrox certified, might be a good selling point. It only takes me a few hours to nitrox cert a diver. Be almost a waste of money to go out there without mixed gas. But for people who just want to see it once, it's worth it I suppose.

SuPrBuGmAn,
You might know as well as I do that you don't undercut in the charter business, the prices are set by the charter boat mafia, so just "forget-about-it"

Burke1973,
I'd love to do a 3 tank dive, but it's the third tank that people start getting bent on in the dive charter business, especially when they can go deeper than the previous dives.
Now, I was thinking about perhaps hitting a 3rd dive in the shallower area on the way back, but when you do the time calculations, it's pretty damn late and near dark. i want to give people the most dive for their dollar, but the liability increases substantially disproportionate to the dollar.

netmage,
You're absolutely right there with your concern my friend. I do suffer from big boat envy and 4 diver is much better and I might even be able to make slight profit.
I have an option of dive masterign a much larger boat that holds up to 30 divers, very comfortable ride and I would make sure everyone received the same Capt Ron treatment. No mater what your dive needs are I will help you find what you need to have the best dive experience possible. Think of me as the Charter Concierge of diving.
I'm trying to set up some bed and breakfast housing for affordable accomodationas

The number one fallacy regarding the Oriskany artificial reef is that it is being sunk for divers. It is not. The target user is fishermen, folks, and they don't care how deep the reef is. Additionally, placing the Oriskany shallower was discussed. It would have created a navigational hazard, and required the razing of the superstructore- leaving a BIG FLAT DECK as a dive destination.

Fallacy number 2 is that the Oriskany reef is suddenly going to catapult NW FL divng into the stratosphere. I strongly doubt this will happen. NW FL is never going to be a diving destination. We simply don't hae what other areas have to offer (speaking as a native resident, who has been diving here for over 18 years, and instructing here for over 10). Initially thre will be a spate of divershere to dive the Oriskany specifically- I would predict that within 2 years that will pretty well die off.

Netmage- Most NW FL boats fall into 2 categories- 6 packs or cattle boats. The 6 packs are cramped with doubles, scooters, etc- and if you expect to do deco, expect to charter the whole boat. Some local captains also charge a surcharge for the use of doubles- whether you are doing deco or not (ridiculous)! As for the cattle boats- I stay away from them- I can't think of a more miserable experience than being crammed on a boat with 30 relative strangers for the majority of a day (but I am anti- social- and I HATE answering questions about my toys:wink:).

The navy wants a "ships to reef program". The Oriskany is only a start, Economic impact is important to escambia county,Florida, and other states. Dade county. made a strong bid for the vessel as did Texas. Hopefully the dive community responds and shows its economic impact in such a positive way to help other states and counties get vessels for their programs.

"$50.00 per room per nite/ based on double occupancy"

Statement is kinda confusing. Is that per room, or per person? $100 for two sounds a tad high for that part of the state for accomidations. On the other hand, $50 ($25/person) sounds like a deal... And half the fun of getting together with a good bunch of divers is the swapping of 'war stories' around the fireplace....

One idea I never tried when I went was the "Diver's bunkhouse" that Olympus runs in N.C. - its REALLY cheap, but barebones... I believe common bathroom/shower, base wooden bunks, you bring your own sleeping bag/mattress... Thats the far extreme - and you probably have to be good buddies and know up front everyones 'drinkin schedule'.... less your up til 2am before an 8am charter...

-Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom