Dive Sunday, 10/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spschneer:
...or whatever, the dive is a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN when you do it with folks that you know (even electronically - i.e. thru Scubaboard) than when you just show up and go on a charter or whatever...if you haven't gone on a dive with some of your friends from ScubaBoard, DO IT...it really is a gas...

Steve

I agree with you there, big time.

cmufieldhockey8:
I second that. Thanks for a wonderful day everybody.

I already did! You would be third :wink:

Dive Report: Sunday 10/1/2006
Boat: frogman_5’s “Irish Wake”

On Board: CMUfieldhocky8, CoolTech, lil sis, Missdirected, purduepete007, spschneer & our “McGuiver” Captain... frogman_5
Scheduled Dives: So. Jack Wreck, Chemical Barge & Betty Rose Tug
Dedication: Dario Memorial Dive (Nothing bad happened. He just went back to Italy)

Now the board and players are set. Let’s get to it!

We all met at frogman_5’s between 7:00 – 7:30 AM. The boat departed right on time at 7:30 AM. What we forgot was that lil sis was on board, and that usually means trouble for the “Wake”. No sooner was the davit up when the engine stalled. Best opinion was engine flooding. 5 minutes later, we were on our way again. The curse of lil sis on the “Wake” was finally broken forever!

Those on previous “Wake” trips included frogman_5, lil sis, Missdirected and me. New to the group were CMUfieldhocky8, perduepete007 and spschneer. We spent much of the time on our way to So Jack Wreck getting to know our fellow SB members and talking over past adventures. It never ceases to amaze me how one Internet location can spawn so many immediate friendships.

On location at So Jack Wreck:

I brought a single HP steel 149 for all three dives. CMU was using one of my HP steel 133s for her three dives. Spschneer was diving with a steel 120 and a steel 80, and explained to us that he was a “hoover” with air. Everyone else was diving AL 80s

Dive buddies were set by tanks already setup. First group: lil sis with Missd & spschneer with me. Diving a 149 can be interesting. The weight is almost two AL 80s. CMU watched wide eyed as I jumped into the water and donned my gear there (I didn’t ask, but I don’t think she had ever dove with a 133 before). I do know that she did the “jump in and don” on dives two and three.

Water Temp: 85 max and 85 min. (by my computer)
Max Depth: 65’
Vis: Crap at the top, and crap at the bottom. There is a layer at approx 15’ that goes down to almost 30’. Vis at the bottom was 10-15’

At depth....
Missd and lil sis were off to the races before spschneer and I could even come together on the anchor line. Spschneer (Steve) and I descended to the wreckage. At 40’ I spotted 3 Goliath just below me at the bottom. Steve is newer to diving and was having some issues clearing as fast as I can. He was just through the crap layer when I turned for the OK signal and it was returned. We reached the bottom and I already had the direction to the wreckage. It was only 30’ away, but out of vis range for half the distance.

We reached the edge of the wreckage and I turned for the OK... got the return. So, I started toward one of the two main engines from the wreck. These are huge! Approx 12’ high, 15’ apart, and are the largest structures of the wreck. I immediately ran into a juvenile Goliath with momma close behind. He was very inquisitive while momma stayed back. I turned to see if Steve was seeing everything, and BANG! Steve was at the edge of the wreckage on his knees about 12’ from me. I got his attention and asked the OK... got the return. I figured it was time to watch this new situation and be alert. I circled the engine and there was Steve still on his knees, so I flashed the OK... got the return. I stopped at this point and observed. Steve was fiddling with his equipment, inflating his BC and dumping it, then fiddling with the equipment, then BC inflate and dump, then look up for me to flash the OK... got the return.

Surveying the area, Missd and lil sis’ flash lights were coming into view; I moved toward them and flashed some quick pics. Missd and I “discussed” the issue with Steve and we both decided he was calm and collected, and finally moving toward us. For a while I moved around the wreckage at a slightly higher level as Missd, lil sis and Steve surveyed the wreck. Everything seemed to be ok, except for the poor vis. My count: 7 Goliath including the juvi, and a run in with a school of Cobia where I got away with all appendages, but it was close!
:sharkattack:

We all could hear the moan of a boat getting closer about half way through the dive. I figured it was a fishing boat. Our jug line was tangled in the anchor line, so I moved it to the top of one of the engines. We all regrouped and decided to end our dive based on poor vis and spschneer’s equipment maneuvering had depleted his tank. At our safety stop, I had the boat in view, turned my head toward our huddled group and lost the boat. At that moment I realized the mid level current was very strong.

We surfaced 70 yards from the “Wake” and had a long swim back.

On board:
It seems spschneer had not been diving with a steel tank and was heavily over weighted. All the maneuvers underwater were him making the adjustments to continue the dive. We found the boat we heard earlier was a cattle boat just entering the water. When the cattle boat arrived, everyone else on the “Wake” donned gear and hit the wreck before the cows came home.

Ok Missd... give them the Chemical Barge story, so we get buddy points too
nonononono.gif

Pictures Here:
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...Dive_10-01-06/
===
It is always good to meet people from the board! I gained more friends in the last six months than I had through 18 years of marriage. Thanks to all of you!

CoolTech:
Dive Report: Sunday 10/1/2006

Snipped

It seems spschneer had not been diving with a steel tank and was heavily over weighted. All the maneuvers underwater were him making the adjustments to continue the dive. We found the boat we heard earlier was a cattle boat just entering the water. When the cattle boat arrived, everyone else on the “Wake” donned gear and hit the wreck before the cows came home.

So overweighted I almost planted myself on the wreck as a new artificial reef:shakehead

On the second dive I took off 9 LBS :11: of lead which was almost perfect...I had 4 LBS plus the Steel 80 with a 0.5 mm wetsuit...as I get more experience, that might go down, but it sure felt really good and I felt MUCH more in control and balanced on the second dive.

I was still having some newbie issues: clearing my ears, and still using more air than most, but did not have the major over-weighting issues of the first dive...

Steve

spschneer:
So overweighted I almost planted myself on the wreck as a new artificial reef:shakehead

On the second dive I took off 9 LBS :11: of lead which was almost perfect...I had 4 LBS plus the Steel 80 with a 0.5 mm wetsuit...as I get more experience, that might go down, but it sure felt really good and I felt MUCH more in control and balanced on the second dive.

I was still having some newbie issues: clearing my ears, and still using more air than most, but did not have the major over-weighting issues of the first dive...

Steve
And... as a normal part of your learning, you will discover new issues for some time to come. Just understand it's "normal"

Had a great time diving with you and would do it again, anytime!

You forgot the part about the Conch Quest following us around to the first two dive sites. If the charter boat follows us, we must be doing something right!:D

frogman_5:
You forgot the part about the Conch Quest following us around to the first two dive sites. If the charter boat follows us, we must be doing something right!:D
I filled in the first spot. I thought Tracy, or someone else was going to report the 2nd and 3rd dives.

Conch Quest didn't follow us until we were on our way to the Chemical Barge, and I did mention they were on the first dive with us.

I also didn't mention that they are charging $75.00 per person right now. That's $75.00 to do two of the three dives we did... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom