Dive spots for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great time today too. You all seem like such a nice group of people! Thanks for the extra weight Bandit... at least I think that was you! We're going to try and make Venice next weekend... can't wait to dive again!

yellowsub:
It was a good outing and meeting everyone. I had a 3mil, still water was a bit cold. It was fine in the beginning but towards the end of both dives, i did shivered....brrrrrrrrrrrr. Cooltech was diving in his t-shirt/shorts, I dont know how u did Cooltech......I wish i could dive like that. Thanks for the ride again.
MissD, thanks for being our guide and giving me a snorkel to replce the one i lost earlier (lost a yellow Oceanic snorkel at Spanish Rocks).
It was great diving with you Carla and Scott.
And really nice meeting scubaboard members who were there.
Gain 100 lbs of bioprene, and you could be diving in a t-shirt too... :rofl3:

yellowsub explains left and right to frogman_5
boone_rich.jpg

Spanish Rocks entry
headingin.jpg

Poor vis on the rocks
rocks1.jpg

rocks2.jpg

rocks3.jpg

rocks4.jpg

worse vis on the Sugar barge

barge1.jpg

barge2.jpg

barge4.jpg

barge5.jpg

barge6.jpg

barge71.jpg

barge8.jpg

barge9.jpg

Now you know why I make this trip once every 20 years...! Meeting all the new divers was nice, though... It was the only reason I made the trip...

Boone and Carla were excellent passengers!

CoolTech:
Meeting all the new divers was nice, though... It was the only reason I made the trip...

Boone and Carla were excellent passengers!

Nice pics ..... we did have some fun new divers huh.
We are also happy that you came :wink:

merlinuj:
Had a pretty good time, thanks again Divergirl4u for finding my weight pocket!
I made it back from Tampa just after the second spanish rocks group got out
but went back in with camera carol. I have no idea what I was looking for
but I did see a seahorse. Thanks again for letting me tag along

merlinuj - Thanks for putting up with me!! I get pretty engrossed in finding intriguing shots, especially the macro ones and I'm hard to follow around. I don't know if I got anything worth looking at - haven't looked yet, my two dives at Spanish Rocks bottom times - around 260 minutes (in 75 degree water - yikes!)...., so I was pretty beat last night.

yellowsub - I handle anything below 80 degree water temps with a 5mil (or thicker!!) and varying sorts of hoods/beanies. Yes it may sound extreme to some but I did have huge bottom times even though I swam around quite a bit. Staying warm is a big key (but even I was chilled after 50 minutes each dive and it took me a long time to warm up between dives).

cooltech - boy it was sure interesting when I re-entered in the afternoon on the incoming tide and five huge tarpon (three were as big as me....) swam about two feet from me!!! I'm always worried when I see those big tarpon though cause I think "What is following the tarpon....????". Viz wasn't that bad near the high tides (viz varied from 10 ft to 30 ft during my dives) and the algae will die as soon as the water reaches 77 or 78 degrees and it will be gone. But then all the thunderstorms and other algae blooms will begin to muddy the water here on the West Coast so you have to appreciate any viz over here really!!

merlinuj - now HE found a seahorse and I didn't get to see it - even though it was the object of my dives!!! Drat!! Tell you what I'll trade you five big tarpon for one little seahorse!!

all - interesting dive, saw a species of snake eel that is very, very unusual - no pic though with my macro lens he was too far away. Also an interesting decorator/spider crab that was "galumphing" around just like an algae bit!!! He was sure I didn't recognize him and he was sure hard to photo because he kept "galumphing" towards my lens with all that angel hair algae on him. And lots of leopard searobins, etc.

Anyway great dives, interesting -- and next time I'll find the seahorse.

Thanks for letting me follow Mike & Kim and showing me where Spanish Rocks is - I'll be back!! Now I need to "do" Venice, can you believe I've never done that one either? We will see how my schedule goes.

Thanks everyone! C :wink:

I would only reccomend the gulf if you are really comfortable with yourself and gear. It can get a little hairy down there at 100 ft.

diveman3:
I would only reccomend the gulf if you are really comfortable with yourself and gear. It can get a little hairy down there at 100 ft.
The gulf is a great place to learn. I did my open water check outs in the Gulf? To hit 100 ft you really must go way out most of the Gulf in this area is 40 to 50 feet unless you plan on traveling a very long way by boat. :wink:
Kim P

CoolTech:
yellowsub explains left and right to frogman_5...

Not my fault! I haven't been quite right since I was an artillery catcher in the army!:11:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom