Dive Skins-What's With All of These Fabrics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OL'B4BC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of getting a dive skin for protection in tropical waters and as a layer under a 4mm full suit. Any suggestions on a good place to look to get the scoop on lycra, polyolefin, microprene, cyberskin, etc., etc.? I know some things are simply brand names for basic fabric compositions but what's what????

Also, your personal experience would be useful. I have a fairly light build and tend to chill, even in a 3mm shortie and beanie. Thus I've gone to the 4mm full suit for diving but would still like something for sun protection when snorkeling and need to limit bulk when traveling.

Polyolefin: http://www.fabriclink.com/Polyolefin.html

Microprene seems to be a Henderson product: "Microprene is an ultra thin, super stretch neoprene that will provide the comfort and freedom of movement found in a Hot Skin but with the warmth and durability that skins and fleece can not provide."

Cyberskin is, um, interesting to Google... I'll refrain from posting what I found...

Thanks for the link and info on polyolefin. Fabric U helped me understand that Lycra is a Dupont brand name for spandex.

Yeah, I'll bet Google had a good time with cyberskin!

Now, which to buy, hmmm!

I started this thread on the topic a while back....
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=109294&highlight=skinny+on+skins

IMO skins heve their place though I don't own one, yet.

As minimal protection in warm water they offer just what you need. They will stave off the sun, sticgs and scrapes. If nonporous like a microprene they will trap a film of body warmed water. Note that trapped water in not an insulator but the trapped water combined with thin neprene will hinder heat loss.

The polyolefins are said to offer some warmth while not increasing buoyancy. The warmth part is not agreed to universally.

Many divers like them as they ease the donning and doffing of a suit. I think poor fit or technique is often at the root of this use.

DO NOT wear a skin under a "skin in" suit such as a Henderson Gold Core or a Bare SGS. You will defeat the whole body sealing concept.

Do not think that topside properties of warmth will be of any value underwater. Insulation comes from trapping air. For divers this air in in noprene bubbles or a drysuit. Topside nice fuzzy fluffy stuff like fleece fabrics and feathers work, in the water they are at the bery best a slight barrier to water flow. The only secondary benefit I see in terms of warmth is that a dive skin may help tighten up a loose fitting wetsuit.

Pete

Personal experiences. I have one of the Aeroskin suits, made of polyolefin. I got it originally for two reasons, to help donning my 7 mm wetsuit (yep helps), and because I have very light skin and sometimes burn just by talking about the sun, and I wanted to test the protection the suit offers. I have the jumpsuit version with knee and kidneypads.

Here’s what I can say after using it for one season. In comparision (mainly in parenthesis) some comments about buddy’s plain lycra suit bought at the same time.

My suit is very form-fitting, kind of sucks to your skin (eg I never need to use thumb loops when pulling wetsuit on) even though it is still very thin. Thus it doesn’t create creases under wetsuit. (Buddy’s suit has gone a quite floppy and is loosing its body)
Strong, surprisingly has not torn or pilled which I did expect since it is so ’tight’-fit.
Colors are bright and don’t run at all (buddy’s has to have dedicated ‘skin plastic bag’ when wet because color still comes off after 6 months of active use, grr)
Very resistant to chemicals and secretions as they promise, no staining from sweat burns, sun creams etc which is kind of nice when you want to use it just as a skin (totally beaten up, looks like old underwear … brr)
Can be machine washed (not)
Dries as fast as thin lycra suit
Warmer than lycra on land
Very robust kidney/back pad is nice for both padding and warmth purposes since flushing is reduced in the back area (if chilling is an issue for you look for this feature, I was positively surprised)
I haven’t burnt myself in the suit but I sure have gotten warm in it in sun

Negatives: Can’t find much about the material itself. There is a slightly odd odor about the suit after some time (stronger than from lycra). Main complaint I’d have is to do with collar that goes too high to be comfy under wetsuit and longish sleeves (what a welcome thing in this era of everyone skimping on limb lengths!) because when so form-fitting it is hard to pull those things off from the seals of the wetsuit. When using this suit alone those features would be positives though.

Back
Top Bottom