Dive Sites in Central Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy!

I am part of the Texas A&M-College Station Scuba Club. Lately we have been going to the same basic dive sites, usually Blue Lagoon and Athens Scuba Park, but occasionally the Comal River to drift a bit...What recommendations do you have for sites in Texas? We are located in college station, but we are up for a road trip and/or overnight camping if its a longer drive!

One worthwhile but ambitious activity would be to take the aquarena springs science diver class as a group. You might even be able to negotiate a discount. It's certainly my favorite dive site in central tx. It's a nice place for a school group especially because it's educationally oriented, and the diving involves maintaining the spring.

A flower garden trip would be a fun group trip as well, but it isn't cheap and it is fairly advanced diving. Go in the summer when it's calm and the gulf is nice and warm. 4-5 dives to 60-70 ft per day is not something you want to do in cold water. When conditions are good, it's a really fun place to dive.

Spring Lake in San Marcos - do the PADI course there and then you can volunteer dive all year (73F water with 100ft viz)

The only problem with Spring Lake is that to dive to 19 feet you need a shovel.

Back in the early '70s our dive club made a trip to San Marcos. I remember snorkeling in the river. It was very clear. Some of the grownups went diving but it wasn't really deep enough.
Can you still dive the river?
I remember being right by the waterfall and not far off the highway.
For a 15 year old boy being there during the college spring break was very interesting.

I'm from Chicago...what do you mean by *sharp* thermocline? I'm used to diving in a 7mm!
I have been there and the water is 77-80 and at 15 ft in a matter of a coule of feet it droppd to 70 and thn at 20 there is another and at 25 there is another and you are well in the 60's. I have never been below 25 ft in Clear springs wit a 3/2 shorty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom