Dive Site Names in So Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve

May I inquire why?

If you are searching for the fountain head of Southern California dive locations may I suggest "Diving West" published in 1972 (good gosh 42 years ago!) which lists over 200 available dive locations. It appears on occasion on the used book market for a reasonable price.

This was the second dive location guide published in the US and the very first dive guide devoted to Sothern California locations, all that followed used Diving west. It is divided in to six chapters, each chapter/ location written by and "expert" for that area. I was honored as the principle co author of the Orange County Chapter along with my very close friend and diving companion the late Ron Merker who happened to be Dr Bill Bushing's basic instructor. The locations and Chapters covered are 1) Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties, 2) Los Angeles County. 3) Orange County 4) San Diego County, 5 ) Channel Islands 6) Northern Baja California, Mexico.

Please bear in mind that the names of some of the locations may have been changed by the state or local municipalities or by common usage, never the less the names listed were the original names.

Should you obtain a copy you will note Ron Merker wrote an additional feature on his specialties "Spearfishing" and I on "Keeepen Kreepers." An how to article on preserving marine life using common house hold items.

Good luck,

SDM

Sam, Steve,

I'm working on an iphone game as a fund raiser for WAVES. Since WAVES is Vets and SCUBA I'm doing the first one for Divers, then will do another with a military theme.

So I'm thinking of "dive trips" then "dive sites". Need them for a bunch of different areas. I can pull up all kinds of maps with sites. I was thinking the site names that people know off the top of their heads would pop the most popular , well known sites to the top of the list.

I guess just grabbing a list will make it easier in the long run.

Thanks!

Map_zpsc748cdbf.jpg

Some of my favorite local sites;
Ace One
Archery Range
African Queen
L.A. and Long Beach breakwaters
Avalon
Buchanan's Reef
Big Pipe
Cabrillo Beach
Caissons 150' and 160'
Christmas Tree Cove
Coke Bottle Reef
Crane at Haggerty's
Dominator
Elevated Pipe
Engine Wreck
Flat Rock
Fog Wreck
F.S. Loop
Gambler
Garden Spot
Georgia Strait
Golf Ball Reef
Haggerty's
Hawthorne Reef
Hermosa Artificial Reef
Honeymoon Cove
Jenny Lynne
Johanna Smith
Landing Craft
Marineland
Marineland Platform
Merry's Reef
Moody
Neptune Arch
Olympic II
Palawan
Pt. Fermin Reefs
Pt. Fermin Pipes
Pt. Vicente Fishing Access
Pt. Vicente Pinnacles
Radio Tower
Redcars
Redondo Artificial Reefs
Resort Point
Rocky Point
Snodgrass
Star of Scotland
Topaz Pilings
Vet's
White Point
White Point Rock
White Point Pipes

Here some's you never hear anymore " HORSE PASTURES " and " SCOTCHMAN'S COVE " now a State Beach can you name the State Beach ? Nice kelp beds and reef with wrecks an a anchor to boot.

Bill
dead dog

Hey, I know a few dive sites right here off Catalina that have been given multiple names by different divers. Drives me nuts when someone files a dive report about diving a site off the island and I have no clue what they are talking about!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom