Dive shop won't service my Zeagle/Apeks Tech-50 and TX-100, I'm shocked.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aropolus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
They said because these older Zeagle regs. require different parts that are not the same as ordinary Apeks Tech-50 and TX-100 parts. I was under the impression that the sevice kits and part art literally identical.
Any thoughts or insight as to whether or not I should even bother with these older regs. I am a hard core Apeks reg ddiver through and through, and I don't want to buy a new set just yet. If I can still get parts I may nerver upgrade. Why should I?

Well, if you’re going to post such comments on this forum you gotta know what people are going to say - service the regs yourself!
I’ve done complete services on my Zeagle and Apeks regs and they are relatively easy to do. You’ll get plenty of support from people on SB and help with getting the service kits too. You won’t regret learning this skill.
Don’t buy a new set just yet.

My impression from talking to zeagle, the parts are not the same. Zeagle has some (as of last year) parts depending on what you need but once those are gone you will not be able to get new parts anymore. This is just what I was told I have not personally tried myself.

I don’t recall but prior to 2002 ~ Zeagle started making their own regs (or having them made to their spec) prior to that they were made by APEKS, I do know that every Zeagle since uses the same kits I believe (I know I may be wrong) that the APEKS made ones will use kits for the similar APEKS model for the first stage. Second stages are actually fairly simple devices and most have a wide range if similar parts.

The newest F8 first takes the same service kit as the FH, DSS etc. and the seconds use the same seat.

I have some Zeagle stuff laying around that I no longer use, let me know if you’re interested in anything a little newer that what you have.

Remember Zeagle has been bought out so the old company policy which would have kept you gear in service is no longer in play, it part of a corporation now, profit is king.

Send your regs out for service and don't use that LDS.

Well, if you’re going to post such comments on this forum you gotta know what people are going to say - service the regs yourself!
I’ve done complete services on my Zeagle and Apeks regs and they are relatively easy to do. You’ll get plenty of support from people on SB and help with getting the service kits too. You won’t regret learning this skill.
Don’t buy a new set just yet.
I'm on board for DIY. Where do I start?

I'm on board for DIY. Where do I start?
I'm not an Apeks/Zeagle guy, but in general I go to Vintage Double Hose, and at the very bottom of the site he has a link to manuals...... all the manuals.... it's a ridiculous resource.
Respectfully,
James

Start with Vance Harlow's book. That'll tell you what to do. Read Regulator Savvy. That'll tell you why.
I read Vance Harlow once. I've reread Pete Wolfinger a dozen times.
Search thru the DIY threads and just read stuff.
There are even threads on what tools to buy.
Go to Scubatools.com and decide how much you can afford to spend.
Once you find a source for your service kits (often the hardest part, depending upon brand) buy a beater reg from eBay that's similar enough in design to yours, and try your hand.
We're here to help!

Avoid steel picks whenever possible!

I need to learn how to service my own regs.....I just spoke to a very reputable dive reg. service shop that just services regs. They literally do nothing else. He said that the Zeagle DST 1st. stages and both the TX-100 & Tech-50D 2nd. stages I have that need servicing both need a conversion kit in order to be fully serviced and ready to dive.

The TX-100 1st. stage does not require a conversion kit apparently. For two full reg. sets the service costs come out to $450.00 for the two sets plus $40 per set in shipping cost to and from his shop.

I am now ready to start buy service kits and as well as all the necessary reg. rebuilding tools specific to these regs. Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

I will dive no other reg. other than Apeks and given the cost of a new set ($600 USD 1st.& 2nd stage only) that really does not breath better than what I currently own, I now choosing to run with what I have and thus service it my self.

Many thanks....
Great Lakes Wreck diver in Wisconsin USA
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom