Dive shop repair resulted in flooded computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kman75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Cressi Edy wrist watch/dive computer that I took to a local dive shop to have the battery replaced (cost=$30). They said they replace the battery, do a light cleaning, replace the rubber ring (if required) and then test the computer afterwards. A week later, during my first time in the water it flooded. Upon inspection they had reinstalled the backside of the watch incorrectly (it is unidirectional). It now flashes the time and shows other symbols on the watch intermittently, no response to buttons - definitely something wrong.

Are flooded computers generally non-repairable?

Any suggestions with next steps? Specifically how to approach the dive shop and what recourse, if any, do I have with the dive shop?

Thanks in advance.

take to the dive shop, show them that they installed it incorrectly and it resulted in a computer failure. You not only want a refund on the service but you want them to replace the computer as it is now no longer functional. If they refuse, go straight to cressi and inform them of the whole issue and see if they'll threaten to yank their dealership because they are clearly not capable of something as simple as replacing a computer battery

Whether it is repairable or not depends.

The battery compartment may be isolated from the other components. If so, only the battery is ruined.

take to the dive shop, show them that they installed it incorrectly and it resulted in a computer failure. You not only want a refund on the service but you want them to replace the computer as it is now no longer functional. If they refuse, go straight to cressi and inform them of the whole issue and see if they'll threaten to yank their dealership because they are clearly not capable of something as simple as replacing a computer battery

You're assuming they are a Cressi dealer.

Had an Aeris battery need replacement during a trip to Keys. Nearest place would not put in so I put it in. It flooded on the first dive. When I got home I took it to my LDS (and major service center). They washed it out, air dried, and put in a fresh battery. Besides a battery change or two it has functioned perfectly for over 200 dives since.

That happened to me once. The dive shop did the right thing and gave me a new computer. It's obviously their responsibility, if they did the battery change and service.

I have a Cressi Edy wrist watch/dive computer that I took to a local dive shop to have the battery replaced (cost=$30). They said they replace the battery, do a light cleaning, replace the rubber ring (if required) and then test the computer afterwards. A week later, during my first time in the water it flooded. Upon inspection they had reinstalled the backside of the watch incorrectly (it is unidirectional). It now flashes the time and shows other symbols on the watch intermittently, no response to buttons - definitely something wrong.

Are flooded computers generally non-repairable?

Any suggestions with next steps? Specifically how to approach the dive shop and what recourse, if any, do I have with the dive shop?

Thanks in advance.

I hope the store will take care of the issue for you.
I do wonder what the test the computer implies? Obviously not a depth pressure test.

Contacting Cressi may or may not help as there manual specifically states- WARNING: always check your computer’s water-tightness! Any anomaly or water infiltration due to incorrect battery replacement will void the warranty.

a computer can flood even if the manufacture replaces the battery. It's life, don't come unglued on a local shop because of it.

Tim

that's fine and dandy Tim, but the shop clearly screwed up and they should fix it. If you took your car to a mechanic, they did an oil change and forgot to put a new gasket on the drain plug and the oil came out, you'd expect them to fix it. The shop screwed up, the shop should fix it as the OP paid them to provide a service and expected the computer to come back to him as a fully functional dive computer with a new battery. The computer came back to him with a new battery but an improper seal causing it to flood. The computers warranty is now void if it was still under warranty, and the shop should replace the computer. What would have happened if they forgot to put an O-ring or spring in a regulator that caused it to malfunction at depth? I know a computer isn't life support, but if the shop can't do a stupidly simple battery replacement how can they be trusted to service regulators? What if they "O2 cleaned" a valve or regulator and neglected to replace an O-ring with an O2 compatible one? One of my buddies was hospitalized and lost an arm because of a shop doing just that. Shop needs to admit that they screwed up, and make it right by replacing the computer or offering the OP in store credit for the full value of said computer. It appears the Edy is discontinued and the Newton appears to be the most comparable current computer, list of $569.95 and the dive shop should offer to replace with that computer or in store credit for that amount if they are not a Cressi dealer or the OP wants a different computer.

It is literally that simple, and anything other than a full replacement, preferably with refund of the service charge is grounds for filing a formal complaint with Cressi for that dive shop to have their service provisions revoked as well as writing public reviews stating what happened and to avoid service at that shop. Defending the shop by saying "it happens" is complete bs, it's a $600 computer that went in for a $30 battery replacement and is now a paperweight. Completely unacceptable and perfect grounds for coming unglued if the shop refuses to replace the device or offer in store credit for comparable replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom