Dive shop in Liberal Kansas..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am on vacation and traveling through Kansas to visit some family members, and we past by a dive shop in Liberal, KS. Anyone on here from that shop? Or any ideas as to where they dive in the area? I didn't bring my dive gear this time, but would like to get a dive or 2 in the next time I am passing through.
Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

While I'm not from that dive center, from what I understand, they do a lot of their diving in New Mexico, about a two hour drive from there.

Bob, where are you located close to? I just visited my friend in Ashland, KS and there was no diving activity at all anywhere up in that area...he said Clark County State Lake you will get SUCKED under in the undercurrent!

Chris

There is no diving in Kansaw to my knowledge. People here get on airplanes and fly to someplace tropical or they go over to Missouri or down to Oklahoma. Right now I am not sure there is even any water in the lakes, if you were to call them that, they look sorta like large mud holes and buffalo wallows. N

From what I have read some ppl have been diving lake wilson in KS. or they have in the past. Not sure what the conditions are as I won't be able to check it out till after the first of the month when I complete my phase II open water.. and probably do AOW the same weekend. Depends on how it goes I guess. A lot of divers do travel out of state that I have meet. Mostly to Beaver in AR. However I have heard of some old sand pits that have been getting some dive time in the southern part of the state around wichita.
dtmag.com lists lake wilson, which I thought was a deep lake and clearer than they say. But they claim 1-5' vis and 60' depth. Its a striper lake and I have always read that stripers like deeper lakes. If anyone has dove this lake I would like to know their thoughts. Also once I complete my cert would like to go check it out. I may ride out there next weekend on my bike to see what it looks like from the surface anyway. if its warm enough maybe do a little snorkling in it... providing I can talk someone into going out there with me for safty reasons. Which I'm sure if my daughter isn't working she would love to spend some quality time with dad... LOL...

I don't think there is any water in that Lake Wilson. I saw a picture in the paper recently where they were bribing people to bring their boats in and launch them and for 10 dollars they would haul your boat somehow through the muck and mud and dead fish to the alleged water area. No thanks.

The Whaler Nemrod will never wet it's hull in Kansaw mud as she dreams of distant blue water and wishes for the taste of the sea. If she is patient, she will be at home once again.
N

WOW!! Hadnt heard that... shame to.. course all the lakes in KS are extremely low.. to much drought... :( Many of the lakes can't even get a boat in since all the ramps are out of the water... Guess i'll have to take a ride out there this weekend to see how bad it is.

Okay.. I took a ride out to Wilson today to see if it was as low as rumored. I think the lake you were talking about being that low is Kanopolis. Wilson, although it is low.. still has the ability to launch a boat from the boat ramps. Here is a couple of pics from there. The level is low, but the water still looks clear.. I believe it would be diveable.
Well it would be a couple of pics.. but it won't let me upload them

You have to upload them to another site and then link to it from here.

ahhh.. okay so thats the secret.. in that case lets try this again..
detail

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom