Dive shop expectations on "Tank Fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive shops that don't want an unpleasant visit from the DOT, OSHA or their insurance company.

flots.

DOT comes in regularly to most Dive Shops I think. I know they come into my shop about every month or two to check my log books on VIP inspections. I've never seen OSHA come into my shop, ever. I'll check with the owner to see if they've ever stopped in, he's owned the store since 1971. I know the insurance company has never been in our store.

I can't think of a single shop here or in cave country (where LP tanks are filled to 4k daily) that has ever been cited for filling tanks above rated pressure. I don't know of a single LP tank fatality ever that was a result of overfill. At least not in the U.S.

But that's another topic.

DOT only applies when you want to transport those tanks across state lines(or more than 8 of them at a time), but IANAL. It's very important to note that LP *STEEL* tanks are the ones that're overfilled, not AL(not that people make LP AL tanks, but that it's not OK to overfill them at all.)

I filled an LP Aluminum tank today. Granted it was a CO2 tank converted for Air, for leak detection. Glad I caught the 1800psi rating.

I once saw one of those filled to 3300 psi. I put it back down VERY gently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom