DIve Rite SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
I just got a new SMB and I was under the impression it had an overinflate dump valve but Im not seeing one. ANy chance the oral inflator will vent excess pressure? I am not finding an answer on line. Thanks.

If you have the "See Me", it has no OPV and isn't meant for sending up from underwater.

If you have the SMB and there's no OPV, it may just be a production mistake.

The OP valve looks lust like the one on your BC (round thing with a pull cord). If you don't see one, it hasn't got one.

Terry

see edit in last post

Wildcard:
I know what an over pressure valve looks like and this does not have one, thus my concern. It can only vent back through the oral inflator hose so I can test it out of the water.
WIsh I would have seen the ST version sooner.
The oral inflator on the "see me" tube looks to be the same one as on my marker bag. I wonder how practical it would be to add a regular pressure release so I can control asscents?

Honestly, I'd just send it back and get what you thought you were getting.

Carter makes several very nice SMBs in various lengths, and they come with an oral inflator (that also fits a Dive Alert), a one-way valve on the bottom for inflating from your reg, and an OPV.

Terry

OK, so I just blew this thing up as hard as I can then stood on it and there was no release. Hummm? DIve RIte clearly says it will vent.

Wildcard:
OK, so I just blew this thing up as hard as I can then stood on it and there was no release. Hummm? DIve RIte clearly says it will vent.
Sorry about my previous post; I should have guessed that you know what an OP relief valve looks like. I misread your post and thought that you got the ST version and finally found the OP valve. Anyway, because your "inflate-and-stand-on-it" test :D didn't result in a vent, I'd send it back to Diverite, especially if you had wanted something to inflate while underwater. I bought one of these 6' orange safety sausage with OP relief valve, pocket on bottom for signal mirror et al, and 3 ways to inflate... on eBay last week and am very happy with the material of construction and features: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sure-Sight-6-Foot-Multi-Function-Signal-Tube-Orange_W0QQitemZ270051678458QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1300QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
If you go to the seller's store, you'll also see a yellow version (same everything but the color) for $24.75 starting bid plus $7.25 S&H. There are similar 6' safety sausages sold elsewhere (Scubatoys, etc.) for alot less than $99 (if that's Diverite's price for a comparable sausage). Good luck.

That is kinda cool but I think Im going with the ST version soley due to it's greater lift capacaty.

Got the new ST bag today and crap! it is huge! I sure wish it had a way to seal the bottom so it would stay hard at the surface. Doing the UW test this weekend I hope. Less than half the price of the DR version too.

maybe that's what accounts for the big price difference -the one way valve at the bottom. Can you tell a difference in the material? Does it seem less durable?

Same or better quality. The DR had an inflator the ST has a OP valve same/same in my book. Just paying for the name. The DR was supposed to come with snap and holder, it didn't. The ST has a nice brass snap. Mo betta deal IMHO

Back
Top Bottom