DIve Rite SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got a new SMB and I was under the impression it had an overinflate dump valve but Im not seeing one. ANy chance the oral inflator will vent excess pressure? I am not finding an answer on line. Thanks.

If the SMB came with instructions or a brief manual/pamphlet, it may address your question. If not, my understanding is that an oral inflator usually is not designed to automatically relief overpressure by letting some air out; the air release has to be manually performed. My safety sausage just bought has both an oral inflator and a safety relief valve, much like the setup on any BCD (some BCDs actually have multiple pressure relief valves).

60feet:
If the SMB came with instructions or a brief manual/pamphlet, it may address your question. If not, my understanding is that an oral inflator usually is not designed to automatically relief overpressure by letting some air out; the air release has to be manually performed. My safety sausage just bought has both an oral inflator and a safety relief valve, much like the setup on any BCD (some BCDs actually have multiple pressure relief valves).
It came with nothing but the web site claims it will vent. We shall see. Thanks

I've noticed that some of the Dive Rite bags don't have the vent release valve on them. Seeing how the Dive Rite SMB is $99 (MSRP)

Dive Rite Bag pic

You can get the same exact bag from Scubatoys that has the relief valve but doesn't have the Dive Rite logo for $39. (actually about $36 with SB discount). It's made the same as the Dive Rite bag.

Scuba Toys bag pic

EDIT: For some cheesy reason they won't allow IMG posting of pics here. You'll have to actually go to the effort to click on the URL's to see the pic.

Note: You can purchase the Dive Rite bag for less than $99. it's just that Dive Rite won't allow that advertised price for less than $99 per their dealer agreements.

you do know DR has two different tubes. One is the $99 SMB which I'm pretty sure has the overinflate valve and the other is a much cheaper "see me" tube. Could you be getting them confused?

Take a look at DiveRiteExpress for good descriptions of the two.

I got the more expensive "bag". Im seeing a diff in the two, the DR has an oral inflate only and the ST version shows only a top vent. It's saying it will vent overpressure. I guess I asumed that ment it had a relief valve like a BC. Tell ya what, there is no way to miss seeing this thing!

Wildcard:
... the ST version shows only a top vent. It's saying it will vent overpressure. I guess I asumed that ment it had a relief valve like a BC. Tell ya what, there is no way to miss seeing this thing!
If it's a large, round, and raised plastic object with a diameter about the same for a golf ball, then it's the overpressure relief valve. Just do a quick test; inflate the SMB and keep on putting air into it to see if the valve will lift and release some air out. Good luck.

SteveFass:
you do know DR has two different tubes. One is the $99 SMB which I'm pretty sure has the overinflate valve and the other is a much cheaper "see me" tube. Could you be getting them confused?

Take a look at DiveRiteExpress for good descriptions of the two.

If you look at http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/liftbags.shtml you can see the dive rite SMB there. It says overinflate valve but you can't see it in the pic. Maybe it's on the back. Note: the DR bag comes in yellow or orange.

The Scuba Toys bag has orange on one side and yellow on the other. So the best of both worlds. You can see the overinflate valve in their pic.

One more note: The more expensive Dive Rite bag does come with the "Quick Draw Sleeve" but you can buy it for $11 bucks also.

I know what an over pressure valve looks like and this does not have one, thus my concern. It can only vent back through the oral inflator hose so I can test it out of the water.
WIsh I would have seen the ST version sooner.
The oral inflator on the "see me" tube looks to be the same one as on my marker bag. I wonder how practical it would be to add a regular pressure release so I can control asscents?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom