Dive Rite rebreather - Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hodagey

Registered
Reaction score
Dive Rite will have the O2ptima rebreather available to viwe and ask questions at Ginnie Springs, FL, on April 30 from 9-5:00, as well as lots of other gear to see and dive!

hodagey:
Dive Rite will have the O2ptima rebreather available to view and ask questions
Oh good. Someone ask 'em why the thing is so expensive.
The original $5K buzz was a pipedream, that much I figured when I heard it.
$6,500 was ... fairly competitive, but $6,900 with ADV and trimix deco optional?
Why bother for a rebreather whose scrubber manufacturer limits depth to 6 bar/50m?

My thoughts exactly. All of my knowledge is "theoretical," but I don't think I would want an ExtendAir scrubber. More money and less time between changes, and have they proven to reduce accidents yet? Please ignore me if I'm blithering.

One interesting note, Dive Rite's website does say that a standard granular scrubber will be available in the future.

A friend of mine took these pics at OceanFest a couple of weeks ago in Ft. Lauderdale. The display unit was mounted with a TransPac and RecWing. It doesn't look like it is integrated with deco computers. I'm assuming those are only PO2 monitors. The hoses look too exposed to use inside a wreck without rerouting them, but this just may be the way the display unit was put together. I believe the cylinders are 27cf. All the valves are DIN for use with standard 1sts.

The R&D divers were diving them off our local dive boat a couple of months ago. They indicated that there were a few software tweaks to work out. I won't mention their names, but a couple of the R&D divers that day are well known in the cave and deep wreck communities.

$6900 + training at Fill Express (they have several on order as I understand it)

It doesn't look like it is integrated with deco computers. I'm assuming those are only PO2 monitors

No those are hammerheads from JM. Those are deco computers. I looked at the Diverite Optima before I decided on the EVO. At 5000$ the Optima was a bargain. At 6500$ it was slightly less expensive than the EVO after importing it into Europe. At 6900 + extra's the EVO is cheaper.

I was also concerned about the overall weight of the Optima (+30 KG) and the ExtendAir cartridges. Try to get those on a remote island.

PeCeDiver:
No those are hammerheads from JM.

Thanks for the correction. :)

That being the case, what would each of them sell for? - Curious what the breakdown is on this unit.

MrConclusion:
More money and less time between changes
Twice as expensive as a 6 lbs Sodsorb fill on the PRISM, and I rather doubt it lasts as long.

have they proven to reduce accidents yet?
Since there is almost no dust chances of a caustic cocktail are much reduced, at least upon initial flooding. And since the absorbant is mounted to a rolled grid, the absorbant won't clump when submerged. So in a partial scrubber flood I see an adbantage.

One interesting note, Dive Rite's website does say that a standard granular scrubber will be available in the future.
Haven't been on DiveRite's website in a bit, does it feature the rebreather now?
So far I've only seen it on DiveRite Express' website which I found odd.
Almost as DiveRite wanted to distance itself from it.

Thanks for the pictures, mempilot.
mempilot:
It doesn't look like it is integrated with deco computers.
One of the handsets contains the setpoint controller and deco computer.
The other is a secondary pO2 display that also operates the HUD/DIVA.
There are new handsets in the works machined from alu.

that there were a few software tweaks to work out
That's a bit odd as the HH has been in production for quite a while ... I wonder if the divers needed the working out. The HH is very advanced with myriads of settings, not the easiest controller to figure out even with a manual.

The instructor page pretty much covers the test divers outside DiveRite, and between Lamar Hires, Tom Mount, Andreas Matthes and Jeff Johnson you got plenty of experienced cavers.

There will be a cover for the back of the unit covering the hoses there.

mempilot:
That being the case, what would each of them sell for? - Curious what the breakdown is on this unit.
The price for the Hammerhead for the Inspiration is $3,000.
That's a complete replacement head that simply bolts on and includes deco software.
The trimix on the O2ptima is a $300 option. The only thing I'm not sure of is if that includes a solenoid, or if the Inspiration's is retained. That's retail, you DiveRite probably got a pretty good deal by placing a large order. :wink:

The Micropore replacement cannister for Dolphin and Azi costs $350 IIRC.

BC, hoses, regs and gauges are all DiveRite. The bags they likely make themselves just like the bladders. Manual adds look like their drysuit valves which they probably buy bulk. Leaves the tanks and something to mount it all on.

caveseeker7:
That's a bit odd as the HH has been in production for quite a while ... I wonder if the divers needed the working out. The HH is very advanced with myriads of settings, not the easiest controller to figure out even with a manual.

New pin system to activate/deactivate unit
pin to activate helium

just switched to a digital pressure transducer for HH and diverite

removing some screesn that are no longer needed due to the fact that the transducer doesnt have to be calibrated

locking out most of the diagnostics screen (the HH was for advanced user, the DR is for everyday divers they dont want potential screw ups)

adding a few other tweeks (some I have been requesting for a LONG time)but without some else paying the bills it wasn;t a high priority

HH for inspiration is ready to go including the solenoid (the only thing NOT included is the LID o-ring (take it from your old lid or get one from SDS)

PeCeDiver:
No those are hammerheads from JM. Those are deco computers. I looked at the Diverite Optima before I decided on the EVO. At 5000$ the Optima was a bargain. At 6500$ it was slightly less expensive than the EVO after importing it into Europe. At 6900 + extra's the EVO is cheaper.

I was also concerned about the overall weight of the Optima (+30 KG) and the ExtendAir cartridges. Try to get those on a remote island.

ACTUALLY....

The primary is a full deco computer AND PO2 controller,
The secondary is stricly a PO2 monitor (3 cells) plus it generates the signals for the HUD

Back
Top Bottom