Question Dive Rite O2ptima CM & Europe questions (Usage, as well as the wretched CE)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The KISS is pretty much self serviceable, 1st stages can be done at LDS.

Narked at 90 have spares in uk too, so it's not too bad from that pov.

Not sure about insurance tbh tho.
Nothing against the Kiss, but to the best of my knowledge it's not CE approved.

For "normal" rebreather diving there’s only a need for one or two training courses — and a shed load of practice. MOD1 is the basic course with grades from 30m/100ft to 45m/150ft with some helium — largely depending on your existing skills and certifications but mostly how you do on the course. MOD2 is the deeper course requiring 50+ hours on the unit and solid skills.

AIUI that/those course(s) cannot be commercially taught on a non-CE rebreather within the EU. There is nothing stopping you from going abroad for the course & certification and it is not illegal to bring the unit back in to the EU for personal use.

Within the EU there’s no laws against using it for personal use. It’s just a restriction on using it commercially — see the link @Cath posted above.

Bottom line, the CE markings are about commercial competition within the EU. The ever benevolent EU looking after standards, bless 'em.

Hey, maybe you could find an instructor to teach you the MOD1 in the UK now it’s outside of the EU.

Nothing against the Kiss, but to the best of my knowledge it's not CE approved.
Thankfully not an issue in the UK

Bottom line, the CE markings are about commercial competition within the EU. The ever benevolent EU looking after standards, bless 'em.
Curious as to whether you have read or exmined the technical requirements to pass EN14143 before making this statement. I have read it and it is apparent from reading it that the actual standards that are required for any CCR to pass EN14143 are simply there to protect us the diver by ensuring every CCR has a safe WOB performance envelope. Every single product that has a life safety system aspect to it, from airbags to airplanes have to have some third party accreditation. THis concept is not unique, e.g. there are global standards such as ISO.

The KISS is pretty much self serviceable, 1st stages can be done at LDS.

Narked at 90 have spares in uk too, so it's not too bad from that pov.

Not sure about insurance tbh tho.

Thanks for the info. Hmm not sure would want to go this route at least not in the first few years...Maybe once i get a bit more experience with the unit. I mean there are cheaper and easier ways to kill myself :D
Still waitng on DAN response re insurance...

Of course the world market in rebreathers is huge tiny miniscule. The cost of certification is considerable -- many 10's of thousands and takes a many months/years. Once tested it's extremely hard to make changes without needing recertification.

Somehow the rest of the world gets by without an approval process let alone the CE approval process -- even the hyper-litigious USofA.

For "normal" rebreather diving there’s only a need for one or two training courses — and a shed load of practice. MOD1 is the basic course with grades from 30m/100ft to 45m/150ft with some helium — largely depending on your existing skills and certifications but mostly how you do on the course. MOD2 is the deeper course requiring 50+ hours on the unit and solid skills.

AIUI that/those course(s) cannot be commercially taught on a non-CE rebreather within the EU. There is nothing stopping you from going abroad for the course & certification and it is not illegal to bring the unit back in to the EU for personal use.

Within the EU there’s no laws against using it for personal use. It’s just a restriction on using it commercially — see the link @Cath posted above.
(...)

Well this would be acceptable. Not ideal, but certainly doable. Plenty of places in Egypt as well that can do rebreather courses, there is a IANDT base there...and at least one can expect sun as well :wink:

I am not sure however which link you refer to ? the Swiss-dive cave thing ?

I am not sure however which link you refer to ? the Swiss-dive cave thing ?
Yes.

As you can see, the CE marking does make life more difficult for those who may want to stray outside of the CE markings. They're trying to convince you that only CE boxes are good when there's a plethora of others available elsewhere which are often more keenly priced (no cost of certification to cover).

Not sure if this is helpful, but it might be worthwhile either going on holiday to try-dive a chest mount Optima, or try and find someone closer to home.

Please note that all MOD1 courses are unit specific and aren't transferable to other units. It's normally accepted that you need to do another partial -- or even complete -- MOD1 on the new unit.

MOD2 is a bit more flexible, but you'd probably use an instructor who uses the same unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom