Dive Rite Nomad Ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantctobin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

It was present at the conference, but cat is out of the bag and here's the final product.

Any initial thoughts about it?
SuperFabric on the rear is nice. Unsure how I feel about the choice of location of the rear dump. I imagine DR will make a run or two with Gemini/Sidewinder holes. Nice to start to see more hardware that doesn't need to be changed out (bungee clip, bungee retainers). Weight capacity doesn't concern me. Kind of surprised at the weight. Curious how the bladder looks whilst inflated. Michael Thomas has some more images on his FB, as do a few others.

TL:DR kind of an XDeep/K2 clone and it's not a harness I plan to play test dummy for.

It looks nice to me but I would also like to see it fully inflated. My original Hollis Katana tended to beach ball significantly when I carried multiple stages. I switched to an XDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec because of that since a lot of the inflation is on your sides and more towards the bottom of the wing. It is hard to tell with the Nomad Ray but it looks like some of the buoyancy is on the sides also.

The dump valve location doesnt bother me and I'm probably in the minority and like the holder for the pull dump at the bottom and at the top of the wing. I have short t-rex arms so it is easier for me to reach dump valves on top.

Saw a couple guys at Little River diving the Ray recently. Looked very streamlined in the water.

Explained pretty well here:
If I didnt just upgrade I'd buy one :)

I looked at the Ray when I was down at DR a couple of months ago. We have a protoype Ray at the shop here, now. But, I have not dived one.

I like the bottom/rear dump. Using it should be just like using the butt dump on a doubles wing. I have never liked the lower dump on my K2.

I'm working on selling my K2 to replace with a Ray.

I looked at the Ray when I was down at DR a couple of months ago. We have a protoype Ray at the shop here, now. But, I have not dived one.

I like the bottom/rear dump. Using it should be just like using the butt dump on a doubles wing. I have never liked the lower dump on my K2.

I'm working on selling my K2 to replace with a Ray.

Is that the only reason you want to switch?

Looks nice. I like the dump locations, though I prefer dumps on the inside of the wing for streamlining. The spine weight is lacking for cold water diving as well; I need 4 spine pockets, not 3. But who wants a rig you don't need to mod? I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom