• Good

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Bad

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Haven't tried it

Votes: 45 67.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gainesville, I was on the Suwannee today laying line. I love this place. Too bad I have to move back to the ocean next summer.

Cheers,
Sherpa

P.M. me when you are headed to cave country.

Divesherpa once bubbled...

The problem with split fins comes in when you have multiple cylinders in a very silty environment. First, they lack propulsion. They don't allow the "torque" needed to easily propel. Second, they are very limited as to what kick style you can use. I mainly frog kick and they are definately not frog kick fins.
The Jetfins are the DIR recommendation. While I have a pair and use them occasionally (GUE classes), I much prefer the quattros because I move through the water easier and faster. If you are diving dry and have a problem with floaty feet, then I recommend the Jet Fins. If you don't have floaty feet, I recommend the quattros.
Next time you come down, PM me and I'll let you use a pair of quattros as well as the jets and DR's. I've got a pair of splits that you can try also, but I almost guarantee that you will not care for them ( worthless with a stage).
Cheers,
Sherpa

Dual/twin cylinders are not taught in my recreational classes (see my other post regarding multiple cylinders) however completely redundant air sources are taught.

Regarding DIR recommendations I don't follow them. Though I do want to learn, I've been investigating and plan to sign up.

I've dove the quattros, IMO - I dislike the piping on the outter part of the blade, the side to side slipping they do in the water, and the flesh bruising edge at the top of the foot pocket. As for the ScubaPro Twin Jets - they have sufficient propulsion for any dive in any conditions I or my recreational students and buddies have ever faced in recreational scuba - including silty wreck penetration dives - even in tight spaces. As a side note, there probably isn't a fin on the market I haven't dove on. IMO and IME the twin jet splits are the very best of the best. And I agree with danw2002 all splits are not the same. BTW - I do like the jet fin - a comfortable, graceful and powerful fin.

I'd love to dive with you on a wreck some time. Anyway I'm looking forward to trying out a more technical rig, setup, and profile.

I loved the spring straps. Very comfy and easy to get on and off.

I didn't like the fin. I had heard the same thing Rick said before. Dive Rite changed something. No idea what.

I did not like the Dive Rite fins.

TwoBit

Those DiveRites look a lot like my ScubaPro VCA's

Could someone post a pic of the Dive Rite fins please? I have no idea which fins you are asking about...

I tried a search but since it didn't provide much information, I thought I'd revive this thread in case anyone has since tried Dive Rite fins. (KOMPRESSOR, in case you're still around, here's a pic.) These fins was suggested to me today by a reliable source so I'm curious to read of others' experiences with them.

TIA! :)

annasea:
I tried a search but since it didn't provide much information, I thought I'd revive this thread in case anyone has since tried Dive Rite fins. (KOMPRESSOR, in case you're still around, here's a pic.) These fins was suggested to me today by a reliable source so I'm curious to read of others' experiences with them.

TIA! :)

es311.jpg

Might as well put the picture in here. I guess Dive Rite won't mind! :wink:

Looks ok to me, especially since they include spring straps, which is far more rugged than any rubber bands or plastic clips. The price isn't bad either, including the straps as well. These fins might og might not be very suitable for frog kicking, but not every one does it that way. And these fins will certainly work well for ordinary swimming. If they feel rugged, and you're not in the spirit to consider jet fins (not really suitable for more than frog kicks, but excellent for that purpose for sure), I'd say these fins may offer more than other high price "El Cheapo" dive center offers, wether offered in bright colors or not...

What I really do like is this text I found on the page:

Beware of Fin Hyperbole
Fin designs are an aspect of dive equipment that seem more like fashion trends, and there seems to always be someone promoting "a better mousetrap." Most of these elaborate fin designs work fine when used to move forward at a modest speed using a flutter scissor kick, and the split fin design tests especially well in this regard. However, many designs are poor if you wish to frog kick or use almost any of the swimming techniques preferred by experienced divers in tight spaces. Even with a full scissor kick, the fancy fins are weak when swimming all out against current, or working to overcome the drag of a drysuit or technical equipment. Full foot pockets and elaborate heel strap systems are also more likely cause the loss of a fin in forceful swimming. Be skeptical of those "fin performance reviews" that favor the casual recreational diver; many knowledgeable divers choose a versatile no-frills fin design with stiff blade and a strong, reliable strap at an affordable price.

I couldn't have put it in better words my self, and I'm sooo good! :D

Back
Top Bottom