Dive Report: Sunday, 06/20/2010 @Pt. Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fobturbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had an opportunity to dive with Don and a bunch of other UTD folks for a pair of fun dives @Pt. Lobos. Driving down, I think all of us left earlier than usual, anticipating traffic from the US Open. To my surprise, there was relatively little traffic heading in. Surface conditions showed that there was a good amount of kelp everywhere, but waters were "flat as a pancake."

We had 5 people total, so split off into 2 teams: team of 3: Mike Miller, Mike H. and myself, the other team was Don and Devon.

Though Don and Mike M. brought their scooters, they decided not to bring them along for the first dive. We hit up Hole in the Wall, then the Worm Patch and headed back. Total dive time was ~57 minutes with the coldest temperature of 47F, max depth ~60' or so. Visibility was 25-30 for me. It was definitely fun and relaxed dive as 4 of us has cameras and were snapping away at everything. On the way back, Mike was dreading not bringing his 'Cuda and was a bit anxious to show off his toy.

For the 2nd dive, we decide on going to Middle Reef. Don bring his scooter and tows Devon. Mike M. tows Mike H. and myself. On the ride out, it was definitely interesting being my first experience with a scooter at all. It's definitely a great way to travel instead of doing long kicks. I'd just hate to lug one up and down with doubles + staging bottles. Dive 2 lasted about 51 minutes (w/o the scootering), coldest temp ~45F, max depth ~62 or so. This time around there was a good deal of surge at depth and I actually started to get a bit nautious with the movement.

Thanks again Don for setting things up today.

Oh, hauling Sierras isn't that bad, if you use the float system! The Cuda's too big for me for fun purposes.

Had an opportunity to dive with Don and a bunch of other UTD folks for a pair of fun dives @Pt. Lobos. Driving down, I think all of us left earlier than usual, anticipating traffic from the US Open. To my surprise, there was relatively little traffic heading in. Surface conditions showed that there was a good amount of kelp everywhere, but waters were "flat as a pancake."

We had 5 people total, so split off into 2 teams: team of 3: Mike Miller, Mike H. and myself, the other team was Don and Devon.

Though Don and Mike M. brought their scooters, they decided not to bring them along for the first dive. We hit up Hole in the Wall, then the Worm Patch and headed back. Total dive time was ~57 minutes with the coldest temperature of 47F, max depth ~60' or so. Visibility was 25-30 for me. It was definitely fun and relaxed dive as 4 of us has cameras and were snapping away at everything. On the way back, Mike was dreading not bringing his 'Cuda and was a bit anxious to show off his toy.

For the 2nd dive, we decide on going to Middle Reef. Don bring his scooter and tows Devon. Mike M. tows Mike H. and myself. On the ride out, it was definitely interesting being my first experience with a scooter at all. It's definitely a great way to travel instead of doing long kicks. I'd just hate to lug one up and down with doubles + staging bottles. Dive 2 lasted about 51 minutes (w/o the scootering), coldest temp ~45F, max depth ~62 or so. This time around there was a good deal of surge at depth and I actually started to get a bit nautious with the movement.

Thanks again Don for setting things up today.
Great day diving with you guys. Was a lot of fun and I learned how much "fun" it is keeping a group of photographers together :D

Oh, hauling Sierras isn't that bad, if you use the float system! The Cuda's too big for me for fun purposes.

I had a blast on the cuda. Having a diver hanging off of each leg and then doing 90 degree hard turns to avoid the kelp :D Should have seen them readjusting their grips to hang on :D

Had a great time meeting and diving with you guys.

I had a blast on the cuda. Having a diver hanging off of each leg and then doing 90 degree hard turns to avoid the kelp :D Should have seen them readjusting their grips to hang on :D

Yea, hanging on to one leg while in the middle of a 90 degree turn is really tough too. It feels a bit like water skiing. When you turn, the outside person wants to come swinging out and the amount of strength needed to hang on is astounding.

Thanks for the tow though. If there is one thing that yesterday told me is that I am out of shape... and at a close second is: I'm buying a scooter ASAP :)

Wow, sounds like you had a lot to deal with that day! Glad everything turned out OK, and I hope the equipment repairs don't cost an arm and a leg :)

Yes, that first dive was a doozy... How freaking embarrassing to have to air share on your first dive with people you just met. Fortunately, training kicked in and everything turned out well. And that's why we practice :wink:

I should be able to fix my light for the cost of a battery and some elbow grease. The funny thing is that the salt water shorted the battery and the nickle platting on the brass cord fitting just came right off. Its like reverse electroplating action. When I saw the brass on the fitting I knew something was terribly wrong and tipping the can gave me that sinking feeling when I heard water slosh around. The funny/awesome thing is that the light never went out! even flooded, it just kept going.

BTW, here's my comprehensive dive report from the same set of dives on my blog if anyone wants my POV on it.

[Divelog] June 20, 2010 – Point Lobos | Tech Dive Team

Thanks for posting that Mike. It actually triggered a nice little chat with Don as I didn't even realize that you had gone OOA. I knew you two went to the surface but that was it.

Luckily for me the goodman handle and reflector for my salvo should fit the UTD light so I shouldn't be out anything.

Thanks for posting that Mike. It actually triggered a nice little chat with Don as I didn't even realize that you had gone OOA. I knew you two went to the surface but that was it.

Luckily for me the goodman handle and reflector for my salvo should fit the UTD light so I shouldn't be out anything.

Glad you appreciate it and glad you have a solution for your light. As far as OOA goes... embarrassment aside... Mistakes are only bad if we don't learn from them :wink:

Actually, I didn't notice either. Wow. But like you said the training took over and Don is definitely a great buddy to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom