Dive report- my first trip to Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I met Kathy and Don at Any Water Sports yesterday at 7:30 and Don drove us all down to Lobos. First dive team in at 9:00 am. Probably didn't get into the water till 11:15 or, what an experience! Kathy led the briefing and the dive, took us to hole in the wall and I'm not sure I saw it, but did see some of the most beautiful canyons I've ever seen and nudibranchs were everywhere! The viz was a good 40', water temp was 53 degrees, first dive was about 37 minutes.
Second dive started around 2:00 pm, this time we went to middle reef and had another lovely time there. Kathy again led the dive, and Don took video and photos while Kathy and I tooled around the reef. Don found us one of the wolf eels, very strange seeing a moray-like animal in the cold water of the Pacific, it was bigger than I had expected, I went to the dive club and several members were asking me to draw a map to where that wolf eel was, and also said if there were no pictures it never happened (whatever). In any event, more nudis, lots of fish (really really big fish). THat dive was 58 minutes, did our surface swim back (in low tide) and gratefuly got a hand from Kathy to get back up that slippery boat ramp in low tide after nearly doing the splits on that ramp getting in (who would have known I could do the splits like that?).
Totally, TOTALLY worth taking a day off work! That place is beautiful, well-protected cove with clearer water than I have seen anywhere in Monterey. The wind was coming up at the end of the dive day, causing me, in a wet suit, to become quite chilled. I think I'm going to be wanting a dry suit sooner rather than later.
We left Lobos at 4:00 pm, got back to Any Water to go our separate ways.
Many, many thanks to Kathy and Don for an incredible dive day with the two of you. Thanks for your time :)

I was excited to see this report!!! I am sorry I missed out. Carmel is a whole world outside of Monterey, I love it!!!! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself, there really was no doubt that you would though!

I just landed Here in Turkey 20 minutes ago.... I left my house
Wednesday at 930am....

Hi Kristina,

I agree it was a spectacular day! The surface was exceptionally flat, and the water was so clear in the cove, even at the boat ramp. I'm really shocked we had the place to ourselves - only one other team!

On the first dive, we followed huge colorful nudi's up the canyon just behind HITW, till we could peek through the hole - didn't you see it ;-). Then we swam up over the wall and dropped back down just before starting back to the boat ramp.

I agree the second dive was tons of fun & it was great saying hi to itchy & scratchy IMG_5374

Thank to both you and Don for a fantastic day of diving! I'm really happy you could take the day off and that you liked Lobos so much!

Robert glad to hear you arrived - Enjoy your trip! I'm looking forward to your return!

Oh, was I supposed to look through a hole? LOL, I was mesmerized by the canyons.
I loved Lobos, and it's definitely worth making that reservation to be able to go on the weekend, since mid-week diving is so hard for me.
Glad we were able to go before the storm is rolling in, I'm hanging up my wetsuit for the weekend and will try and dive again next weekend. This weekend's just looking nasty.
Robert, glad you made it to Turkey OK! Sorry you missed our Lobos trip!

Last edited:
That's great to hear you all had a great day of diving at Lobos. I love that place! I've looked for Itchy and Scratchy every time I've been diving Middle Reef, but have yet to find them. I'd love it if someone could show me where they are sometime.

After my dive club meeting we went out for mexican food and beer, and a guy pushed a napkin across the table at me with a hand-drawn map of Pt. Lobos and asked me to indicate on the napkin where he was. I did my best from my recollection but I want to go again and see if I can find it on my own. I'll have to go soon though, my short term memory really sucks, but it would be fun to go again anyways and try.
I know he's in about 25' of water, up on the reef some, and believe he's on the reef wall facing the interior of the cove, in a crack that sits at about a 45 degree angle from the reef as you're looking at it, and there's a well-worn sea palm next to it, from people holding on to it to look inside the crack (thanks for that landmark, Don).

pacificgal:

Glad to hear you had a great first time diving @ Point Lobos. It is my favorite Northern California dive, and we have a lot of good diving here. Walk down the ramp into the magic of the Monterey Bay.

At this time of year the summer tourists are gone, the water is cooler and clearer, no plankton blooms, just the great Pacific with a great scenic background. One of the best shore dives I know off.

You picked a good time. Congratulations!

Thanks mdb, except I just got a report that Monterey Bay Aquarium released their female great white yesterday into Monterey Bay. Sure hope they fed her first! Glad I didn't see that report before I left, I may not have spent so much time looking at the litte stuff.
I thought they take the great whites further away when they release them? Bad intell, maybe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom