Dive Report - Hollywood Beach (Johnson St. Access)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to post a brief report of a solo dive yesterday afternoon:

As many of you know, I'm getting my house ready for my family, so I spent Sunday painting. (Now I know why housepainting made Hitler crazy!) Anyway, after too many hours above water with masking tape and trim brushes and polyethylene sheets everywhere, I decided to take a quick swim off of Hollywood beach.

The ocean was flat (only maybe 1' in the surf zone), and I had a long (maybe 50 yard) walk through water to reach chest level. Swam due east for maybe 150-200 yards to the reef and had a great dive. Saw several yellow stingrays, lots of surgeons, and many juvenile forms of sgt majors, parrots, and others. Made friends with a few triggers, and pissed off the requisite four or five damsels. Saw a nice 4' nurse shark cruising the ledges, and she stayed around long enough for me to swim with her for a while.

Max depth 19 ft, temp 81 degrees, total time 67 minutes.

I finally took Colin's advice about going out there and stopping for a while. When you're still and quiet, it's amazing how many more fish you see.

I didn't see the Yellow Brick Road, so I was either in the wrong place or just not out far enough, but I was having a good time and decided to stay there and just hang out by the ledges.

Of course, I got to meet lots of little folks as I trudged across the sand to the shower at the end. You know, I was thinking about it afterward and came to the conclusion that we need to spend more time talking to the curious children who love to gawk at our gear. They're the next generation of divers, and they seem to pick up on the potential for wonder so easily...

Anyway, safe ascents and good wishes to all,
Grier

Isn't it great. You drive down to the beach, put on your gear and walk in. Swim out a couple hundred yards and just chill and watch the critters. Its a great way to spend a hot afternoon. No planning, no schedules, just- I think I'll go diving and a short time later you're under water . We're fortunate to live here.

An underwater photographer friend of mine told me about just stopping and letting the fish get back to doing what they were doing, before a large threatening animal showed up. Its just like walking through the woods, if you stop and sit for awhile the activity resumes.

This weekend was a washout for me. I had a chest cold and cough and all I could do was watch the dive flags on the finally flat seal.

DennisS:
Isn't it great. You drive down to the beach, put on your gear and walk in. Swim out a couple hundred yards and just chill and watch the critters. Its a great way to spend a hot afternoon. No planning, no schedules, just- I think I'll go diving and a short time later you're under water . We're fortunate to live here.

Y'know, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I think the thing I love most about beach diving is the lack of schedule, the absence of structure. Even when we do it as a group, things are free and easy, within the bounds of respect for each other's time. The rest of my life is far too busy and stressful - it's nice to be able to let the sea wash all of that clutter away...

Ok now I have a question. I have been diving about a year now and after reading your post I have to ask....... I have a lot of free time during the week and usually it is tough to find a buddy, I feel pretty comfortable in the water and would not mind diving solo because that way I can do my own pace and look at what I want and not have to worry about keeping up with someone else. I realize the diving there is not deep so do you think it would be ok to dive solo? I want to be out in the water so bad but without having a buddy to dive with I lose a lot of opportunities. Let me have a little feedback.

GrierHPharmD:
within the bounds of respect for each other's time.

Are you kidding? Jenny still insists on sunrise dives. :D

Marc

One of these days, Marc, you will realize, like beach diving, it ain't so bad! LOL
Grier, nice report. One of the nice things about only having one buddy or solo is the abililty to slow down the pace and see what really goes on. I have been concentrating on two things lately....slow down, and remember to look up once in a while...amazing what cruises past when you look up. (still to paranoid to go solo tho...)

Interesting comments. I have mixed feelings about going solo, mainly from a safety perspective. (It's nice to have the comfort of a buddy whose style matches your own.) I've only done a few solo dives (maybe a dozen or so), and I'll have to say that I really like them.

As far as whether you're ready for one or not, TNARC1, that's a really hard call. I've done several shallow (15' max) lake training dives alone, and had a few that I had to call due to what I'll just call the Heebie Jeebies - that strange feeling of being alone in dark, cold water (70 degrees, 2' viz) that is probably just a bit of the old "stay out of dark, cold, underwater places" gene that kept our ancestors alive.

On the other hand, there's a serenity that I find diving alone that it unparalleled. If you decide to go this route, you might want to do a few things first:

Make sure that your safety gear is functional. (Dive sausage, cutter(s) for monofilament)

Make sure that you dive in a comfortable area. (I like to dive the reefs that I've already visited with our group - it's nice to know the lay of the land before going there on a solo dive.)

Make sure that you have good viz. It can get a bit creepy if you only have 10 ft of vis and you start seeing those shadows move at the periphery.

Finally, make sure that somebody knows where you are, just in case you get caught in a current, etc.

I found a little book in a dive shop some time ago called "Solo Diving - the Art of Underwater Self-Sufficiency", by Robert Von Maier. It emphasizes redundant equipment and the develpment of self-rescue skills. After reading it, I felt a little more at ease with the solo thing. Nothing against the buddy system. It's just something for a different mood or different circumstances.

And Jenny, I agree completely about the slowing down thing. I'm still trying to perfect that skill. It's so easy to get wrapped up in fast swim mode...

And Jenny, I agree completely about the slowing down thing. I'm still trying to perfect that skill. It's so easy to get wrapped up in fast swim mode...
I know what you mean, I get so focused on "the dive plan" and reaching my destination, that sometimes I forget that its the trip there that makes the memories....
I think I go pretty slow in the water, yet a week ago, I was told I am too fast...hmmm, guess I need to slow down..and look up (and see that huge o tarpon swimming past...)

At least you saw the tarpon. I kept looking for it and ony saw a glimpse of his tail a time or two.

I tend to focus on the little fish darting in and out of the coral. (Not that I can ID any of them yet, but I remain optimistic.)

BTW, I did my first REEF survey on the Hollywood dive. Has anybody else done one yet? (I was kicking myself for not carrying my slate on that dive on 6/5, where we saw the two huge porcupinefish.)

As for the slow thing, Jenny I have dove with you and you are quick like a bunny. I think that is why I am toying with the idea of diving alone, I like to go slow and look at EVERYTHING. I am just thrilled to get in the water and see everything there is to see and to enjoy the sound of my own breathing rather then "MOOOOOMMMMM, he hit me" or "MOOOOOMMMM she touched my food and now it has her cooties and I cannot eat it". So I think if I get out and know the area and the depth is 20' or so I should be ok to dive. I am thinking what I need for a beach dive is ot set up a winch and hook a line to me and just reel myself in afterwards.......... Just kidding but it IS a thought that has crossed my mind in one of my crazier moments.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom