Dive Report: Gerstle Cove Sunday 4/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man.... I wish I could have made it up there... besides... the nice big ankle busters on the "beach" aways scare me...

We didn't even have toe busters that day....just amazingly flat. :D

Not sure what Ben was talking about; I thought it was the rocks on the beach, which are always a little tricky. Hit a wobbly one all kitted up and you can get a rush of adrenalin. Mostly going extra slow seems to be the ticket.

I meant the so called "beach".... with bread loaf sized rocks waiting to twist your ankle...

The tide was so low Sunday that we actually did have a beach. Luckily the rocks weren't slimy getting to it either. I've heard horror stories about diving there at low tide when the rocks are covered with algae.

Thanks! I think that odd star is a Stimpson's Sun Star. That was my first time ever seeing them here and I saw 2 in one dive. :D

Gerstle Cove is just blanketed with starfish, urchins, abalone, and anemone's. It really is a magical place when conditions are good.
OMG - That is the group I was with in the background of your photos of the beach! I probably saw you on the dive I did!

I was blown away when I saw your photos!

How deep can this dive site get? What type of marine mammals are present in this location? What other perils can be expected at this site?

I've heard Sonoma county is for experienced divers and that there is so much life to see in these waters and you guys have the pics to back that up.

I am always amazed at those kinds of diving sites, and the people that dive them.

KUDOS!!

I've had worse entries and exits in Monterey. The rocks are not a big deal. Last time we dove there it was in doubles and I was carrying a scooter. Adds up to around 170 lbs of gear. Ben if I can do it you can too.

Back
Top Bottom