Dive Report - Gerstle Cove - 26 Aug 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The same hand signal commonly used in the tropics. Hand on top of head like a mohawk hair cut.

Dude you use your signal I'll use mine :eyebrow:

:D

Thanks for the dive report. It doesn't look like the south swell hit the cove, although the website:

Salt Point Park Ocean Conditions Home Page

indicates problematic swell conditions. It's good to see some North Coast reports being posted.

Steve

No significant south swell on Wednesday, as everyone can see from the pictures.

We met some very friendly freedivers and they said that Tuesday's viz was 20'.

Don,

What makes a recipe for a perfect attack from the Landlord? According to Rocky Strong and Chris Fellows, the recipe is as follows:

1. Low visibility, less than 5 feet preferred.

2. Agressive competition, 2 or more landlords crossing paths.

3. Topography, 30+ feet or more to make a vertical attack.

4. Noise, splashing or erradic movements on the surface.

Now if you have these factors lined up you are asking for a hit. Rocky Strong suggested that loud noises emmitting from his early cage submarine to the bottom of Seal Island in South Africa, would attract the landlord to investigate, but once he got close it would repel him.

I might then be led to believe you on the surface of Gerstle cove, scottering in 30+ or more, was asking for attention if he was around.

From your video of 5ft visibility, the odds are in his favor that he can come in closer without you ever knowing he is there. He has the element of surprise, which is why his two piece suit is his favorite attire, when he shows up for dinner.

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that he was there when you and Ben navigated around in his waters. Those seals on the rocks around the corner are sometimes a good indication that he might be collecting rent, and unfortunately for the seals, they don't have the funds. You are diving at the end of the month when rent is due.

I am glad that you and Ben had a good time but not without an eeirie feeling, that the GWS aka landlord, white pointer, tiburon blanco, man in the grey suit was possiblly making his rounds.

You guys are brave divers... I SALUTE YOU, FOR YOU WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIVE!!!!

Mike G

I am glad that you and Ben had a good time but not without an eeirie feeling, that the GWS aka landlord, white pointer, tiburon blanco, man in the grey suit was possiblly making his rounds.

You guys are brave divers... I SALUTE YOU, FOR YOU WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIVE!!!!

I wouldn't consider ourselves brave, especially considering the surfers, free divers, and regular north coast divers out in the water every weekend.

In addition, Ben and I are probably two of the more cautious divers you'll meet up with.

We scootered during the dive, but didn't surface scooter in waters greater than 20'. We dropped as soon as we could, and purposely hugged the bottom and slalomed through the rocky reef.

Plus, we reduced the risk of attack personal attack by 50% by diving with a buddy :wink:

I really do wonder what else was at Gerstle cove under that murky water, besides two cautious divers?

The thought makes me feel you guys were brave... :)

MG

Don,You guys are brave divers... I SALUTE YOU, FOR YOU WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIVE!!!!

Mike G

Say what?

Well in reality scuba divers are in very little danger of being attacked. The bigger concern is current and other scuba related issues not sharks. Just stay off the surface outside the kelp fields. Gerstle Cove is one of my favorite dive sites that is nice an easy in doubles, since there is minimal swell action and it is the shortest walk from the drop off point to the car, let alone the water. You just have to stage scooters, and carefully enter the water. I usually use the big log for putting my rig on. The big boulders suck, but you can't have it all. In a few minutes the bottom drops off to 100' and there are some pinnacles to investigate.

Back
Top Bottom