Dive Report - Gerstle Cove - 26 Aug 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had the day off so what better to do than go for a dive!

Don and I went north this time to do some exploring. We don't come up that often mainly because of weather and most of our local crew is always in Monterey. But since they were mostly cooped up in cubicle land up north it was.

Don's yearly parks pass paid off as we made several stops at some of the other parks.
DSC_00028.JPG

Gerstle Cove! The Pt Lobos of the north coast
DSC_00055.JPG

Nice and calm on the inside
DSC_00104.JPG

A closer look shows a topping of foam. Good for cappuccino bad for diving
DSC_00194.JPG

No turning back!
DSC_00233.JPG

Found the big daddy down there... this guy was huge!
00210.JPG

We went out scootering/kicking to about 70 then straight back in...
0097.JPG

The rocks were ankle breakers... about the size of grapefruits... it was very hard balancing and lugging doubles
0155.JPG

Of course I was sweating it... but Don wasn't gonna lose his cool :)
0184.JPG

It picked up a little bit while we were under.. not too bad though. Now getting past the ankle buster rocks on the "beach" was another thing
DSC_00255.JPG

Good dive!
DSC_00363.JPG

Of course I was sweating it... but Don wasn't gonna lose his cool :)
0184.JPG

Ha! That's me needing to pee badly cause I was scared of the landlord the entire dive.

Thanks for the great time, Ben.

This was the first time I've ever added the "landlord contingency plan" to my dive brief....

How does that fit into the SADDDD and GUE EDGE?

This was the first time I've ever added the "landlord contingency plan" to my dive brief....

Don't know, but seeing one would make me both SAD and on EDGE.

I am so sorry you didn't get to see one, I know how much a MAN you are, and you would have gone into combat with him if need be.... RIGHT??:D

Scooters getting ready to play at Gerstle
090826_gerstle.jpg

Ben, all smiles after a good dive in 5' viz
090826_gerstle_ben.jpg

And a really short video of the anchor in 65' of water.

Pop Quiz

What do you signal to your team mate when you see a GWS?

Hold!

:D

The same hand signal commonly used in the tropics. Hand on top of head like a mohawk hair cut.

I wouldn't recommend scootering too far on the surface. I have been there before while towing someone out after a controlled ascent from a depth of 65 feet. Did you notice the seals and sea lions on the rocks right around the corner? Can you say meat market? LOL

BTW a day park fee envelope purchased from one state park can be used at most any other state parks the same day. I love having a park pass and it is definitely easier and cheaper to use.

Glad you had a good time again on the North Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom