Dive Report: Flower Gardens 5/30-31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A word for divers who are...er...a bit on the 'new' side. The Gulf of Mexico can be a truly fickle darlin'. One trip will be flat calm with nearly zero current, and the next will see the Fling heaving in four to six foot swells with a current that will take your mask off when you turn your head while hanging onto the mooring line for all you're worth (I'm not kidding or exaggerating...I've got video). I've also seen the boat swing 180 degrees on its mooring line in less than two minutes...from UNDER the boat. That kind of quick and extreme current change can be disconcerting, and it tends to scatter divers who haven't seen that sort of thing.
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from visiting the FG by any means. I do want to be upfront and clear about the potential conditions and possibly offer a word of caution. The Flower Gardens is considered at least an "intermediate" dive site, requiring divers to be very comfortable with their gear and basic diving skills and procedures. Go and have fun, but be sure you know what you're in for.

I could understand that.. Really.. but really only see enjoying a liveaboard if they can cater to my finicky appetite.

Wow, man. You are truly missing out on some of the joys of life. And how can you travel anywhere when you cant eat the local cuisine?? :shakehead: SO glad I dont have this issue.

That said, I do know that the Fling made offers about accomodating special diet needs. I am sure they would make an effort to work with you. We didnt have anybody on our boat who had any issues so I didnt see it in action, but they did make the offer.

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom