Dive report 5/31 - with Lake Travis Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cuda_72

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This was my first dive with Robert and Lake Travis Scuba and I have to say that it was an excellent trip! There were only 3 divers on board for the AM run (me, my dad, and Kyle who was in town on business from Canada).

Our first dive was at the old scuba park. Robert briefed us on the site and showed a map for reference, which helped quite a bit. Once under though the vis was very limited (~5'?). We stayed in a small area consisting of the boat that we tied off to, the "milk truck" and "swimming pool". Max depth was around 50'. We did see one heckuva large catfish in one of the boats. It had to have been between 3-4' in length and very girthy. Of course, I didn't see it until I was about 5' away due to the vis.

Our second dive was at Starnes Island. Robert briefed us on the dive during the ride over and had historical photos that added to the exprience. Vis at Starnes was very good once you got below 50'. We had a very good dive around the island and had fun exploring the grottos and collecting treasures that people lost overboard. Max depth was ~70-80'. A definite good dive for all of us. An added bonus on these 2 dives for me was the oppurtunity to practice shooting a SMB to the surface using a finger spool. By the time I deployed the SMB on the second dive I felt comfortable doing it. While I could easily have practiced this skill at Windy Point, it seemed to have practical value in an "open" water situation.

It was very good meeting and diving with Kyle from Toronto. He shared some interested stories with us was a great diver! Kyle, I hope that you had the chance to put down a couple of "wobbly tops" while you were in Austin!

2 Thumbs Up for Lake Travis Scuba! I will definitely be coming back. Excellent operation Robert!

This was my first dive with Robert and Lake Travis Scuba and I have to say that it was an excellent trip! There were only 3 divers on board for the AM run (me, my dad, and Kyle who was in town on business from Canada).

Our first dive was at the old scuba park. Robert briefed us on the site and showed a map for reference, which helped quite a bit. Once under though the vis was very limited (~5'?). We stayed in a small area consisting of the boat that we tied off to, the "milk truck" and "swimming pool". Max depth was around 50'. We did see one heckuva large catfish in one of the boats. It had to have been between 3-4' in length and very girthy. Of course, I didn't see it until I was about 5' away due to the vis.

Our second dive was at Starnes Island. Robert briefed us on the dive during the ride over and had historical photos that added to the exprience. Vis at Starnes was very good once you got below 50'. We had a very good dive around the island and had fun exploring the grottos and collecting treasures that people lost overboard. Max depth was ~70-80'. A definite good dive for all of us. An added bonus on these 2 dives for me was the oppurtunity to practice shooting a SMB to the surface using a finger spool. By the time I deployed the SMB on the second dive I felt comfortable doing it. While I could easily have practiced this skill at Windy Point, it seemed to have practical value in an "open" water situation.

It was very good meeting and diving with Kyle from Toronto. He shared some interested stories with us was a great diver! Kyle, I hope that you had the chance to put down a couple of "wobbly tops" while you were in Austin!

2 Thumbs Up for Lake Travis Scuba! I will definitely be coming back. Excellent operation Robert!

dito for me! :D Robert has done a really good thing for the Lake Travis dive scene! He has a very well set up boat. I would recommend it to everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom