Dive Report: 25.Oct.08 - Mono Lobo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose it depends on the application, but in this case it was much better.

So far I have not found how a short hose is better. Yes, I did try a short hose for a very short time. In fact I had it replaced by open water. Plus when scooter diving it is mandatory in case you have to tow a diver, so I use one all the time. The long hose tucks real nice under "your" can light too. The bungee backup is always right where it needs to be.

Go ahead, just take another sip... :eyebrow:

I know PADI is not about tech gear though, and a snorkel does not work with a long hose. Have to abide by the rules when working with students. So the snorkel goes in a pocket right? Actually it is good to show students the different methods that people use. Air II is donate the primary vs octo donation.

Oh yea I saw that boat, hah! Yea we were the two crazy divers that swam out to all the boats from shore :wink:.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same bat ray. Where we were at least there was probably thousands of squid eggs. For all I know that could have been just one of several patches.

[chuckles]

Yeah, we saw you guys, you went right under the boat. We were taking a look around and trying to figure out where you came from.....

"Naaaaa, they didn't swim THAT far, did they?"

[looks for kayak]

How was the exit? The swells looked to be building and it was breaking pretty nicely on that rock..

Awesome report, thanks for posting. I love reading these reports, as I am still exploring the dive sites, having only tried a few so far.

How long did it take you to kick out that far? That is a pretty crazy swim.

To answer the last two posts :wink:...

Yup we entered at South Monastery to the right of all the kelp, swam out the rest of the way. It was a little over a 30 minute swim maybe even 45 minutes, im not sure since we were waiting to see what the Express was up to. We figured if we floated for a bit they would at least know we were there and the goal was to not have their anchor pass by, but I dont think they ever anchored as I am pretty sure I could hear their engine(s) the entire dive.

The swells did pick up some on the way out. I had to time it right but managed to walk out. Ben almost made it out on foot, but its tougher with doubles.

Also I dont know if anyone is interested in seeing things like this (let me know) but ive seen others include profiles for the reports so here is ours. I stuck the marker at the highest PPO2 mark just for reference.

Dive Profile Download

thanks, the dive profile is great. Really helpful for people like me still exploring the various options.

I don't think my buddy would be down with a 30-45 minute swim though. :)

Hey Brandon,

Great report! You're on dive 81? Congrats, that's quite a clip you're moving at for the year :)

A 7-ft hose can be a bit of a hassle in open water 1) with a single tank and 2) if you don't have a can light to tuck the excess hose around. But in such case, I've found that a 5ft hose is just about perfect, and still vastly superior to a "regular" sport setup when donating gas.

thanks, the dive profile is great. Really helpful for people like me still exploring the various options.

I don't think my buddy would be down with a 30-45 minute swim though. :)

Well if you look at the St. Brendan site for the review its a boat only dive :D :wink:

I dont mind long surface swims usually though.

Access and Entry: Boat only, charter dive boats are available from Monterey Harbor. Or you may launch your own from the Monterey Breakwater, Stillwater Cove or Point Lobos State Reserve.

Skill level: Intermediate or greater from charter boat.

Hey Brandon,

Great report! You're on dive 81? Congrats, that's quite a clip you're moving at for the year :)

A 7-ft hose can be a bit of a hassle in open water 1) with a single tank and 2) if you don't have a can light to tuck the excess hose around. But in such case, I've found that a 5ft hose is just about perfect, and still vastly superior to a "regular" sport setup when donating gas.

Still might make 100 for the year... that would be cool!

Well if you look at the St. Brendan site for the review its a boat only dive :D :wink:

I dont mind long surface swims usually though.

Yeah, I went there first when I heard you mention Mono Lobo, so I was quite impressed you guys did it from shore. I don't mind surface swims, but my usual dive buddy does. Oh well. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom