Dive plans for 2021 during Covid-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Messages
660
Reaction score
432
Location
Oakland, CA
# of dives
100 - 199
With the hard lockdowns in Calif., discouraging any travel, I wont even be local diving for the time being. We were also locked down March thru June, so I dived a bunch July through November, but am now dry again.

Im hoping the lockdowns lift around March or so (once the holiday infection spike reduces / vaccines make headway). Then I can local dive again - I usually go about one morning per month.

My hope is that I can travel by the Fall to warm water.
 

Esprise Me

Kelp forest dweller
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
1,436
Reaction score
1,866
Location
Los Angeles, CA
# of dives
200 - 499
Sticking with local diving for the foreseeable future. I am doing some boat diving again, though I'm sticking with the smaller boats running limited loads with open-air decks enforcing masks and other safe practices. Even that level of risk is probably logically indefensible given the situation here. I guess I'm making more of an emotional decision based on my personal low level of risk and being tired of making sacrifices while watching so many others be so reckless.
 

Belzelbub

Contributor
Messages
861
Reaction score
525
Location
Largo, Florida
# of dives
200 - 499
Probably not too much different than it was last year, though I hope I’ll be able to get more dives in.

I dive mostly local in FL off my own boat. So mostly no need for changes. I only hope that things are a bit more open than they were last year. Last year, it seems that the only thing open was the boat ramp, so they were packed.

Already have a place in the Keys booked, so I’ll be taking the boat down there again. I do need to get my youngest daughter her reg to complete her gear set.
 

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
10,681
Reaction score
7,599
Location
USA
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Making no plans for dive travel until the consensus is that enough people (the "herd," that is) have acquired immunity. "Avoid non-essential travel" has been the most common advice from public health authorities worldwide for many months. If enough people have immunity by late summer or early autumn, we would probably quickly make last-minute plans for Mexico.

That said, my wife and I just bought tickets (with no change fee) for mid-July to visit her family in Europe, whom she has not seen in a year, based on a hope that the criteria I mentioned above will have been satisfied. Seeing family takes precedence over diving. They're still on strict lockdown over there. Even if we felt it was prudent to travel somewhere fun and tropical for leisure, we wouldn't do so out of solidarity with them (meaning, to avoid having to see that look of a mix of envy and disgust in her family's eyes when we're finally together again).
 

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
6,745
Reaction score
4,168
Location
Florida
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm lucky. Being a FL resident it is pretty much the same as any other year for me. I don't travel to dive. Almost exclusively a local diver. I try and dive 2-3 days a month and that is still my plan. Occasionally I can squeeze in an additional day or two. I log 40-50 dives a year and plan to do that again in 2021. All of my dives will be in South FL ... Palm Beach/Broward Counties or Key Largo. I may try and fit in a springs trip this year. I've not dived the springs/caverns in quite a few years. We'll see.
 

formernuke

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Messages
3,530
Reaction score
3,210
Location
New England
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’m fortunate that I now have a site 3 hours away (without bad weather) that I can dive at least one a month through the winter. I’m hoping the local quarry opens in early April, as is usual. It was June last year.

Forgot to mention - ice diving class next month. Doing it up in WI, which I hope will have more ice!

Have fun.

I'm 1.5 hours from the local sites just a matter of which direction I want to drive. So not close to any to center to them all.
 

yle

Contributor
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
1,380
Location
Southern California
# of dives
500 - 999
Sticking with local diving for the foreseeable future. I am doing some boat diving again, though I'm sticking with the smaller boats running limited loads with open-air decks enforcing masks and other safe practices. Even that level of risk is probably logically indefensible given the situation here. I guess I'm making more of an emotional decision based on my personal low level of risk and being tired of making sacrifices while watching so many others be so reckless.

I'm going to disagree: I think an open boat deck, with a constant breeze, limited capacity and wearing a mask qualifies as very low risk, of transmitting anything... assuming any of the few other people on the boat even have something to transmit. It's not scenarios like this that are causing the problem in California. Enjoy your diving.
 

ATJ

Contributor
Messages
587
Reaction score
380
Location
Sydney, NSW, Australia
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Same as 2020 for me: dive every weekend and the occasional weekday.

Local Sydney diving is awesome. I'm doing 2 hour dives and still running out of time to see all the fish I want to see.
 

Aviyes

Contributor
Messages
450
Reaction score
372
Location
Colorado
# of dives
100 - 199
Just booked the first week of April at Anthony's Key Resort.

And...trip cancelled. Military member travel restrictions, highly likely not to approve waiver. :facepalm:
 

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
5,474
Reaction score
2,193
Location
Albany, NY
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd assumed that my re-scheduled trip to Socorros in March was off the table, hoping that Roatan in July would go, but it turned out just now that I'll be vaccinated this week, so I might be able to do it after all. If quarantines are still required upon return, in spite of vaccination, that would be a trip-killer for me.
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Top Bottom