Dive piers at shore dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a thought on a wet tuesday morning in England.

Sounds like a raft with a walkway would be a solution to your problem.
It can be removed during the surf season.
It would have minimal impact on the current environment with only 4 to 6 anchor points necessary and these can be in relativly deep water.

Difficulty can be with the walkway out to the raft. If you have enough height then this can go directly from the shore to the raft. If not then you need to articulate the ramp with a float in the center. This may not be practicle in rough conditions.

As a temporary structure you should have less problems persuading the powers to be to allow it. If it's use results in damage to the environment then it can just be towed away unlike a permenant structure.

Funding will always be an issue. Doubt the local politicians will come up with the money, most likely you would need to form a local charity to do it.

As a floating structure you would need to find an ongoing source of income to pay for it's removal before the surf season, replacement, storage etc. Possibly a $1 usage fee with a weekly, monthly, season ticket or something simillar.

I am sure there are some marine designers here on SB who could come up with a working design and some costs.

justleesa:
Walking over the rocks from the parking lot is so unsafe....what would be better a ramp or stairs?

For me, it's not so much the rocks at Shark's Cove - it's actually the combination of the rocks and all the people that sit or set their stuff down in the only open areas for me to walk in.

Trying to navigate around the people sitting around and trying not to step on/kick sand on their stuff is what makes Shark's Cove a real PITA - especially since I'm not the most graceful person with all that crap on my back.

That being said, I prefer Firehouse, which actually has a slightly rockier entrance - and therefore less people to navigate.

chepar:
For me, it's not so much the rocks at Shark's Cove - it's actually the combination of the rocks and all the people that sit or set their stuff down in the only open areas for me to walk in.

Trying to navigate around the people sitting around and trying not to step on/kick sand on their stuff is what makes Shark's Cove a real PITA - especially since I'm not the most graceful person with all that crap on my back.

That being said, I prefer Firehouse, which actually has a slightly rockier entrance - and therefore less people to navigate.

LOL on the people in the way! I dive there almost daily in the summer and to be honest I make sure I drip water across any bonehead that sets up in the "quite obvious" path. They usually have moved by the next dive. Be it said I still love the cove!! Fire house runs a close second!
Hate the sand at 3 tables...especially when hauling a 20 lb camera! A temp walkway would be sweet at 3 tables...just to the waters edge during the summer.
SDVW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom