Dive Park at Lake Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK guys...here is our chance. I have an opportunity to meet with the Corps about possibly creating a dive park somewhere on Lake Lanier (Perhaps WBP) with submerged wrecks, pipes, etc to make it more interesting and fun to dive. Anyone interesting in helping me out with them?

Where can we get various items of interest? I may be able to locate a 42 foot wooden hulled boat to sink, what else can we scounge up?

Anyone know who set up the stuff at Jocassee? How did they get approval?

Alternative sites are also welcome!

Thanks!

Let's build a dive park!

Mike

Let me know what I could do to help(not sure what i could do, but let me know). I would definately be interested and will keep my eyes open for things to go out there

Brian,

Thanks, as I get further into the process I will contact you. It will probably involve some type of non-profit setup so businesses and people can donate items and get credit for it.

I need detailed information on the Jocassee set up.

Mike

Bill at "Off The Wall" dive shop would be the one to talk with.

Mike,
Since I have never done something like this before, say we do get approval for it and get items to sink out there, how do we get them out there???? How ever it is, I would like to help, sounds like fun

Brian

As far as the boats, tow them out and sink them. The other stuff, we would have to play it by ear! Maybe borrow a barge from the Corps and use that to transport then roll it off the sides...

A couple of thoughts. I think WBP as a location as far as diver entry is good, the boat traffic coming in so close worries me a little. Would we be able to but dive bouys out there to keep boats away (or try anyway). also are there any other locations around the lake that are similar to the cove on the other side of WBP that arent as accessable to boats that still have easy entry to the water

I am sure the Corps would specify where we could put it, but the more suggestions we give the better! The water would even be deep enough inside the "No Boats" buoys in front of the swim area.

Mike

As far as the boats, tow them out and sink them. The other stuff, we would have to play it by ear! Maybe borrow a barge from the Corps and use that to transport then roll it off the sides...

get a barge that the corps doesn't want anymore and sink them both! :D

I have a cabin cruiser that needs a new home,just take out the fuel tanks,motor and outdrive then fill it full of rocks and pull the plug. It would be just like one of those big navy ships only smaller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom