Dive Park at Lake Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

When is this taking place?

I do have a certain gift for oratory and argument.

Plus, being an advisor on ScubaBoard, there may be a chance of using some cyber-weight, if you would.

the K

I'm new here and all but I deal with other divisions of the Corp as a civil engineer and these are not real rational people . Expect to hear a lot about permits, paperwork , inspectons of anything sunk (at someones expense). I think it's a great idea though, but most Corp of engineer lakes that are river fed don't want anything submerged because over time it all will drift to the dam and pose a problem for them. Maybe there is some way to anchor boats down so they don't drift underwater. Anyways I would be happy to help and I think a lot of divers would be supportive (donate money, which wil be needed to do this)

is lake joccasee a TVA lake or a corps lake?

I think Jocassee is neither...I think is it the Power Companies lake.

Where I intend to do it would not be able to drift to the dam...no more than those big logs down there will!

I wanted to get some idea of what all would be involved before I spoke to them in detail. They sent me an email saying they would like to discuss it and to set up an appointment. Maybe we should set up a meeting for those really interested first and draw up a more detailed plan. I can set up a donate account on my website once we decide we want to do this for sure!

Mike

The park right across the cove from West Bank has caping (Swanee I think its name is) the big cove between them is one of the spots I propose to put the items in.

Mike

Here is a link to my site, I have put a page up (no donation button as I don't know what the Corps will require) I hope maybe we can get the Corps to use some of the stimulous money to help us out...:)

Dive Lanier!

Mike

Mike, how do water levels fluctuate on the lake now?

how deep is this site?

I'd say add to the list of stuff you want

* training platforms, at different depths.
* concrete steps in/out of the water (to cut down on erosion and soft footing in mud)
* see if the Corp will make it a "no boating zone" with boundary buoys
* gear table/platforms.

Mike_s,

The depth I am proposing would put things at least 20 foot below the surface even with levels at the drought conditions we had last year. I propose at the 40-50 foot level. The cove there has a sand bottom unless we get out to the drought low levels again. The area I am proposing is already a NO Boat area. I am not sure about gear platforms or tables, usually we just dress out at our vehicles as it is a short walk to the water. This isn't Divers Cove with the steep access, this would be near or at Mask Cove either out from the established swim area but before the No Boats buoys or just out from the Mask Cove itself in which case they would have to move the buoy out. Another possible location is the large No Boat cove on the left of Mask Cove.

We can worry about amenities once we get blessed...:)

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom