Dive ops near Marathon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to do 3 days of diving around Marathon in July. Since it is a family trip with non divers in the group I'd like to stick close to Marathon if possible rather than drive to Key Largo or Key West. It will be my nephew and me (experienced divers) and our two wives (infrequent divers - though my wife just did 13 Bonaire dives last week). Because of the wives, shallower reefs (40' or so) would be preferred and a six pack boat if possible is also preferred.

Anyone ever use Abyss Dive Center?

Any and all info on Marathon or close diving is appreciated.

I'm a California diver but have dived with Randy of Emerald Charters and also JDC in Jupiter, as well as Conch Republic and Ocean Divers around Key Largo. I'm just not familiar with Marathon.

I like Captain Hooks in Marathon. They run both a big Corinthian for shallower reefs (which also takes snorkelers if some of your group would enjoy doing that while you dive) and a smaller island hopper for deeper/wreck dive sites. They are friendly, enthusiastic and good with new divers especially if you let them know in advance. They also recently bought out a shop on Big Pine and run boats to Looe Key Marine Reserve. That's a nice dive, but gets blown out from time to time. Since you're already staying in Marathon you might have a unique opportunity to try it out on the fly if you catch a nice day. Have fun. :)

A little more info on Abyss, we dove with them in June 2017,. Nice little shop right outside of key colony. Six pack operation, quality rental gear, no guide unless you hire one. Captian/mate/divemaster gave a great site orientation. Navigation would have been easier, but between my wife and I we have three novice divers to mind as well as navigate. Dives were all shallow reef, but that's what we wanted since the kids were at 15 dives post cert at the start of the week. Sites were mainly patchy or mini ledge type lots of fish, lobster, and shrimps (I get hungry when ever I type that) a couple of large turtles on one dive and an enormous nurse shark on another.
We will definitely dive with them when we get back to Marathon, maybe 2019.

If you drive a little south there is LOOE KEY dive resort and they have daily
charters . It is not too far from Marathon . Enjoy your diving !
Sea Dwellers

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom